Can I ride a dragon back to Skuldafn with new dragonborn DLC abilities

Joshua1986

From a writing standpoint this can be validated in-game if you think about it.

"Dragons are prideful by nature"- Esbern

Do you think a Dragon who was thinking of having you for lunch a few minutes ago is going to let you "piggy back ride" him wherever you want? He's a dragon, not a taxi cab with wings...

Especially when you further consider that the reason you target Odaviing for the trap is because he's not an 'ordinary' Dragon, he's one of Alduins lieutenants. There is nothing to indicate that every dragon knows where Skuldafn is, in fact, specificly targeting a lieutenant implies it's not common knowlege.

Actually, it seems to be relatively common knowledge amongst dragons as there can be up to four un-named dragons guarding the ruins. From the fact that they do not possess names it can be inferred that they are not well known dragons, as some dragons seem to acquire their names over their lifespan relating to their actions - Durnehviir: "Curse Never Dying", Mirmulnir: "Loyal Mortal Hunter". Also, many dragons throughout the main questline say "Skuldafn fen kos dinok!" meaning "Skuldafn will be (your) death/doom!". This leads me to believe that the location of Skuldafn is hardly a secret to dragonkind, as it can only be reached by dragon back, and is the dwelling place of their overlord, and a primary cult location.

I feel that is something of a disconnect between the story, and the gameplay. The actual presence of the Dragons at Skuldafn strikes me more like "Hey, this is Alduin's base, there should totally be dragons here" rather than an indication that most dragons know where it is. It's also unlikely that there would be Dragons at Alduin's chief temple, for story purposes, based on the highly territorial nature of Dragons. Approaching the Temple would be tantamount to challenging Alduin, which is in fact what Odaviing does when he takes you there.

As for the Dragons regularly mentioning Skuldafn, knowing about something doesn't nessessarily mean you know where it is. Be they the Staff of Magnus, the Holamayan or Akivir, the knowlege of somethings existance doesn't equate to having the faintest clue where to find it.

The interesting thing about Skuldafn is that it is clearly ancient Nord construction, and certainly Alduin didn't build it with his feet.

This means that the dragons must have flown up a Nord construction crew. One or more dragons would have been needed to ferry up the crew plus keep them supplied during a construction project that probably took years. Aside from the stone, which was probably quarried nearby, the builders would need food, clothing, replacements for worn tools, etc. In fact, it would take the resources of a large town to get a job like that done: quarry workers, lumberers, miners, toolmakers, and various service personnel (cooks, hunters, cobblers, tailors, etc.) to support them. Plus a Dragon Priest or two to take care of the religious needs of the group -- essentially a full colony -- and serve as liaison to Alduin and whatever other dragons had access. (Probably the crew was buried on-site when they died and became the draugr that we have to deal with today. Being selected for the construction of Skuldafn was likely a one-way ticket.)

Now, I have a hard time believing that Alduin himself would have transported all of these people and goods personally. Or ANY of them, for that matter. How many dragons would it take to get that many people and a good deal of materiel up there in a reasonable amount of time? Quite a few, I would think, meaning that a lot of dragons must have known the way.

• 3 years later...

Look, I'm a writer. Do you think we can get away with obvious bulls*** like this? Ha, no way!

I was going to point out most everything released for theaters or television since the turn of the millennium as rebuttal to prove the obvious factual error of this simple statement, but it was much better (and shorter) done by Lachdonin:

Even with purpose, writers frequently get away with this type of thing. Harry Potter, arguably the most successful book series in decades, is a long string of poorly thought out events, plot devices, omissions and general literary blundering about. It is multi-billion dollar proof that writers DO get away with stuff like this.

We could also add just about everything by Michael bay, the entire Marvel universe, Every DC book, film or tv show for the last .... know what, just make it every DC film or show period. The few books Ive found innocent of your complaints since the 90s are from authors that had been writing for at least a decade before the 90s.

Its not that "this time was flawed", rather its simply that this time you noticed.