SKSE Problem. (Windows 8?)

Bridgers

I've had problems trying to install SKSE. I've done it how it has been shown on youtube videos for example. I have copied the correct files into the correct places (as far as I am aware). The video I followed was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGnQIiNVqA

The problem I am getting is that when I try to launch skyrim via the skse launcher it says "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." My skyrim folder is located in my C drive, through the steam -> steamapps -> common -> skyrim.

EDIT: I'd also like to add when I ran it as an admin it says it cannot find the file.

I have searched all over the place looking for a sollution and I cannot find one that works for me. Any help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Edited by LadyMilla

Your video link does not work.

I don't know about Windows 8, Here is a link to

o that has the proper (post 1.6 patch) directions.

Also, when you open up the zip file, there are installation instructions--follow them exactly.

Make sure you are using the latest skse and that your skyrim is properly updated and running through steam.

I am running Windows 8 Pro x64, and after a few attempts at installing various programs I must say Windows 8 / its User Access Control feature is VERY picky when it comes to stuff installed in C:\Program files (C:\Program files (x86)). (It always asked for permission to run Xonar DX Audio Centre).

Even before switching to Windows 8, I moved Steam to a different drive (you can follow the procedure described here) and now I have absolutely no trouble running SKSE. (I do not even have to run it as Admin).

Two more suggestions:

a) Try to verify game cache in Steam. The executable might be corrupted;

In Steam, right click on Skyrim in the Library section then chose Properties from the menu: in the window that pops up select the Local Files tab, and click on the "Verify integrity of game cache..." button.

b) If you have an antivirus program, try to add the Steam directory to the Exceptions (both for Scanner and Real-time protection). I have Avira, so your settings/AV functions will be probably different, but anti-virus programs (at least the better ones) allow you to set exceptions that will be ignored. If you do not have an AV program, try to turn off Windows SmartScreen in the Action Center temporarily and see if you can start the game with SKSE.

I have already tried to verify the game cache, it has a a problem with one file at the end, and obviously that file is the skse_loader.exe.

I have Norton 360 and I added skse_loader.exe to the exceptions, but it did not work. Norton cannot even "find" the file, for example. I right clicked on the file and tried to get a Norton file insight, but it produced an error message saying the file could not be found.

I have already tried to verify the game cache, it has a a problem with one file at the end, and obviously that file is the skse_loader.exe.

That is unlikely because skse_loader.exe is not part of the vanilla game cache. Steam must have found some other problem. Still it is likely that something is blocking access to SKSE_loader at system level even before Norton can get to it.

Did you try to deactivate smartscreen?

Did you check if Windows Defender was still running (it should have been disabled by Norton after installation). Windows Defender might interfere with Norton (and also stop you from running/opening the SKSE loader) if it is still active.

Right click on the SKSE_loader.exe and check Properties -> Security tab. Modify, Read, Read&Execute, Write should be ticked for Users/Authenticated users.

Action Center - On the left side: 'Change Windows Smartscreen Settings'

Turn it off (last option: Don't do anything).