Long War mod discussion

johnnylump

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I have been trying to reverse engineer a certain change made by Amineri, which in my opinion has made Mimetic Skin (Psi Shadow) completely and utterly useless. I have been using the following thread to try and return it back to normal:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1349248-mimetic-skin-perk-rebalancing/

However I have been having trouble with that. While inputting the before_hex part (yes, I am paying attention to headers) to replace the modified code (went through UE Explore to make sure I replace the correct functions), the game either doesn't launch at all, or CTDs on start of a tactical mission.

Have there been any updated to the psi-shadow code, that make the game rely on the function too heavily? What might cause the game to crash if the function is killed?

Note: I have even tried to kill the function by simply removing Unhide, just to see what that would do, and the game still CTDs.

Note 2: While I'm sure that many people will come crying about how mimetic skin is OP without deactivating on flank, my question doesn't mention mimetic skin being OP or not, thus refrain from coments as such. I'm trying to balance things by adding content, not by removing, nerfing or otherwise watering content down, so please, do avoid lecturing about mimetic skin being game breaking.

Note 3: Spent about 13 hours straight trying to figure out why XGUnitNativeBase.CheckMimeticSkinForUnhide won't let me remove flanking. Need some sleep so I'll report back in tomorrow if I manage to find anything worthwhile.

Edit:

Aside from that, I wonder, is it possible to assign negative damage protection to things? So that, say, equipping a certain item will increase (as opposed to cutting) the damage taken by the unit wearing it?

Edit 2:

I also wonder if perks like Bioelectric Skin can be given to AI units, and if it it's feasible to write a function which would check if those units have the perk and thus can target Stealthed units.

Edit 3:

I'm not extensively experimented with coding so sorry if I'm asking stupid questions or walking past something obvious. I googled and lurked nexus for possible fixes to this situation, but didn't find anything other than the thread mentioned above.

Report 1: Okay, so I'm trying to give it another approach. Trying to use pseudo-code to return the function to it's normal state. Going to take me a while to figure this out. I'll report again if I make any progress.

Report 2: Such. A. F'cking. Moron. I can't believe how stupid I am. All I had to do was to get the function to call jump to last Return instead of Unhide for it to ignore flanking. Of course, this leaves some extra code behind and is a crude work-around, but hey, works for me. Can't believe I wasted over 30 hours of my time into something so trivial.

Now on to something actually much more challenging. I wonder if I can get AI squad leaders to sense Psi Shadow. This is going to be a nightmare ... Especially considering how dumb I can be when it comes to coding ... Time to grab a bible, smokes and coffee. I'll report again if I make some any progress whatsoever.

Edited by ReclusePhayder

• 1 month later...

I would really like to edit the time that soldiers need to recover from wounds, back to normal would be great or just a bit...even fatigue system i could do without.

If someone knows where i can alter these settings i would REALLY appreciate it, been looking all around internet and cant find it, maybe it cant be done?

Anyway i hope someone here can help me out!

johnnylump,

Yes, thanks for that i did find it yesterday, it took some time before i found the keyword i needed to find what i was looking for tho.

BASE_DAYS_INJURED=168 ; max hours a soldier can be injured
RAND_DAYS_INJURED=2745 ; xxyy, where x and y control how days/research alters max injury timeout, d by x / (Days + y)
RAND_DAYS_INJURED_TANK=5; %-based scaler for fatigue timeout; 100=100%; 0 should mostly eliminate except for adders

Works great.

Sry for posting in wrong thread.

Edited by xqeqlic

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if it's possible (or how to do it?) to add the vanilla armor decos back into the game (long war)? Keep in mind I have no idea about how to do anything related to modding/coding/programming/editing, so bear with me. If anyone would be so kind to at least point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful--particularly in terms of what I need to be looking for. Also, does anyone know if it's possible to use the armor deco's from the original Enemy Unknwon in Enemy within? And lastly, in enemy unknown, hair color was independantly changed (with the corresponding option) without changing the color of the eyebrows to match; is it possible to implement the way enemy unknown did this as opposed to how Enemy Within handled this (by changing hair color AND eyebrow color to match)?

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated; keep in mind I have no idea where to even begin other than needing to use *some kind* of utility.

Thanks in advance,

A happy long war enthusiast

P.S. If the answer is in plain sight, it could very well be that I've seen it and just didn't realize what I was reading was talking about. So, apologies for that. Also, this is an absolutely amazing mod and--quite frankly--how XCOM vanilla should've turned out. :)

Edited by ChrisJ0621

• 2 months later...

I just bought EU complete pack and am now downloading it from Steam. It comes with some DLC already. Will LW still work with this version? I've searched through the forum for an answer without success, so sorry if it's been answered already.

I just bought EU complete pack and am now downloading it from Steam. It comes with some DLC already. Will LW still work with this version? I've searched through the forum for an answer without success, so sorry if it's been answered already.

Yes, Long War for EU will work with the EU complete pack, which I think just means the extra missions from gangplank etc are included.