Long War mod discussion

johnnylump

Hey I'm recently started playing long war and I was wondering how do i mod faster research times? It's been 2 months and I've only completed 2 researches. I believe it would be under lab multipliers?

Just from a balance standpoint I wouldn't recommend this. It'd make you far more powerful than the aliens. However, you can change research times in the ini IIRC.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I'm recently started playing long war and I was wondering how do i mod faster research times? It's been 2 months and I've only completed 2 researches. I believe it would be under lab multipliers?

Just from a balance standpoint I wouldn't recommend this. It'd make you far more powerful than the aliens. However, you can change research times in the ini IIRC.

Another alternative is to just give yourself more Scientists using the Dev Console.

If you wish to uninstall a mod, check the mod installer documentation to see if it has a method to do that. For instance, PatcherGUI creates an "uninstall" script.

You should uninstall all mods in reverse order of their installation: from "last" to "first".

To then continue with "vanilla" XCOM, follow the "Restoring to Vanilla" steps in the "Steam and Mods" wiki article. OR follow your platform's normal method to uninstall a program to completely remove XCOM.

-Dubious-

• 3 weeks later...

First off, sorry for the really long delay in replying... after I posted my question I somewhere within the next few days completely forgot I had, and then I compleatly forgot to play XCOM as well and was playing some other game instead. XD

What you want is the mod "XCOM Camera Tweaks", by wghost81. She also wrote the UPK Utils/PatcherGUI tools, which are linked on that download page.

-Dubious-

Thanks for the help.

Not sure, if it actually helped me though. Since the cameras movement with the mouse is still looking down when I move it forward and up when I move it backward. But as I was trying the camera mods today it did seem like moving the camera felt more natural this time... not sure why though.

I am still interested in knowing if it is possible to reverse the pitch and yaw movement when you hold in the middle mouse button, the scroll button, on the mouse.

While not exactly the same, LW has pitch shortcuts in it now. the F-keys set the pitch. I forget if it starts at F1 or not, but I usually find I'm using F7 for an isometric view.

Yeah I am aware of the F-keys, and I do occasionally use them. It is mostly the free mouse camera movement thing I am looking for changes to, for when I feel a need to get a better view of something.

• 5 months later...

Just some feedback here - but after reading so many good things about LW, and having played through xcom multiple times, including classic, I decided to drop in.

My first attempt - I loaded up on normal (easiest difficulty) and as you're thrusted into the first mission, I promptly lost 1/2 my squad to death / panic, 3 seperate shots at one alien with 70+ chance all miss, grenades only damage 1 alien even if 2 were in the circle, and I rage quit with only killing 1 alien.

Feedback - this game is supposed to be long, that's what's appealing to me. I like EW b/c of the extra exalt missions and LW really sounds good.

BUT - and this is a big but, you really need to ease up on the first few missions. This is is just stupid hard, on your easiest setting. I know it can be RNG dice rolls, but I don't care. There is too much to learn about all the things in LW, and getting wiped on the first mission, to someone who has plenty of experience, really turns me off in a huge way. I get you want this to be more difficult, I would think that's why you have so many difficulty levels - so use them instead.

Actually, you just got bad luck. Hate to tell you this, but Long War usually isn't that bad on the first mission. You might lose 1 or 2 guys max, but in LW, losing 2 rookies early on has little impact. Heck, failing the first mission has little to no impact.

The number one thing to avoid: don't explore once you find a pod, stick to the explored sections. Activating multiple pods is far worse in long war than in normal XCOM, because the aliens will use all of their actions, whereas normal xcom will only use some of the aliens offensively and the rest will turtle.

Issue:

I downloaded LW and played through the first mission and when the first UFO shows up I try to send my interceptor but when I do it doesn't launch the interceptor and I get stuck on the Geomap, time goes by but nothing happens. it never makes it to the interceptor fighting the UFO. Any one else have this issue or any solutions?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Johnny, I just wanted to ask how I could edit the .ini to make a few changes.

Chiefly

1.) Changing the interceptor rearm times to 2 days instead of 7
(Having been in the military, mechanics in both flight crews and motor pools are quite skilled; I suspect that they're well acquainted with rapid changing of armaments on interceptor hard points)
2.) Changing the fatigue to three days instead of 5 by default
(I like the fatigue system, its just that 5 days can really knock out a roster of people, particularly when you factor in gene mods and psi, leaving you vulnerable when the council demands missions (like gangplank) or suprise UFO landings)
3.)Changing the reaper pack to reaper ammo so that all weapon tiers can have access to it
(Overwatch troopers are great, but once inbuilt defense hits the scene, they lose their usefulness, except with Beam and Pulse, which the reaper pack gives them near automatic critical hits most of the time with the right items present. I'd like to be able to keep using them, rather than having them become MEC's.)