Lichdom mod needs authors!

kromey

(See the main thread for the mod over here.)

After someone made the inspired suggestion of adding several books to Skyrim to help make liches feel more like a part of the game, rather than something just tacked-on by some crazy ol' modder, I've decided that writing that many books is just too much work for little ol' me, especially on top of developing the mod itself (and, one day, returning to work on Dovahheim...).

So this means that I need you, yes YOU, to write books, letters, and notes about or mentioning liches! I have no set goal on how many books I want, but Skyrim's a big place so conceivably there could be lots of books scattered all over the place without making it feel crowded.

For the background/lore, check out the mod's main thread, which will tell you the specifics about liches as I am doing them. For a bit more background, check out UESP's lore entry (and don't forget to take a peek at nether and ancient liches, too -- the former will be part of the mod as well, the latter I may add in later).

Here are the guidelines for what I am looking for:

• Personal eyewitness accounts are preferred
  • Don't just laundry-list abilities
  • Don't include more than 2 or 3 abilities in your account
  • Don't try to describe the process of becoming a lich in any detail
  • MUST be lore-friendly (this means e.g. the author shouldn't be ScrummyMcForumHandle)
  • MUST use good, proper English that your grammar teacher could be proud of!

These are guidelines, not rules, although if you want to violate them best to run your idea by me first. Ultimately, of course, I retain full editorial and artistic control over everything that gets included in my mod, however I will prefer to make constructive criticisms before I reject any submissions.

Send your submissions to me via PM or e-mail, and be sure to include:

• Your name (how you want to be credited on the mod -- everyone who's writing gets included will be credited!)
  • What type of writing you are submitting (e.g. history text, journal, letter, note); this will help me to pick an appropriate font and model
  • Title (if relevant; letters and notes won't necessarily have titles, but that doesn't mean they can't)
  • Author (who should appear to have written it in-game; authors' names must be lore-friendly!)
  • Your text, including your desired formatting
  • (Optional) Where your writing should be found in the game (note that I will treat this as a suggestion, and may ignore it, especially if e.g. I get 50 books that all want to be in the College of Winterhold's library!)

I reserve the right to edit any submission as I see fit without notice, however if you don't like what I've done to your masterpiece I will be happy to remove it (or we can work out a compromise that satisfies both of us); that being said, though, I will try to restrict such to correcting grammar and spelling errors, or to formatting changes (e.g. adding a title page or inserting page breaks where I feel they're appropriate).

Sign me up! (You're shocked, I know.) Just one quick question before I rep out the multi-volume journal of the Ancient Lich Baltis Llervu, how would you prefer to receive the books? As notepads, word documents, PMs... other? Let me know and I'll throw it in the appropriate format.

Sign me up! (You're shocked, I know.) Just one quick question before I rep out the multi-volume journal of the Ancient Lich Baltis Llervu, how would you prefer to receive the books? As notepads, word documents, PMs... other? Let me know and I'll throw it in the appropriate format.

Whatever works best for you, just so long as you can express your desired formatting. (Bonus points if you send me a .txt file complete with the CK's book markup! ;) ) I'd prefer you not post them to this thread, just to keep it cleaner (as I hope to be answering questions about what I do and do not want), but beyond that I don't care too much. :tongue: Worst-case scenario is I'll ask you to re-send it in a different format if for some reason it doesn't work, but I don't anticipate that happening.

OOOOH! You mean like completely "unrelated" books?

Like, not related to the quest?

If so, count me in pal'.

:biggrin:

I wouldn't call them "unrelated", but, yes, non-quest books. Flavor/lore books. Like the random ones you find all over Skyrim that are fun to read but don't give you any skills or spells or start/advance any quests.

So I guess I can count you in then, yes? :thumbsup:

Do you have any opposition to some books actually boosting skills? One of my books has a few relevant alchemical recipes and describes a phase of the authors life when he was an alchemist so it makes sense.

If you want to include alchemical recipes (so long as it's not the Elixir of Endless Night's recipe), that's fine, however I'm not looking to add new skill books to the game, so I doubt I'll add books as to give an actual boost to the skill.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gotten one submission so far, that's actually going to be held back a bit because it's just too perfect to not have a dungeon attached to it (and I'm not releasing any dungeons until I get the core mechanics done and released).

However, even if I'd gotten a bunch more, there's always room for multiple of any given type (e.g. we could have lots of liches leaving journals around Skyrim, or lots of scholars writing about liches, etc.).