4060 replies to this topic

Site Bot

Site Bot

Fear me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921,637 posts
Ziggys Mod

One of the biggest compilation mods so far, completely rebalancing the entire game to offer a more challenging, realistic and immersive experience over the default game.

Greg147

Greg147

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Hi, just started a new game with this, and I've noticed a few problems.

Firstly, unless I'm missing something, the tutorial crafting mission is impossible to complete. The loot rucksack now requires 3 dog skins and two green plants. After taking into account the 4 green plants needed for the 2 syringes, there's one too few plants to find in the mission area. There are also no dogs.

Please let me know if I'm missing a way around this here, because I like this feel of this mod and would like to continue.

Also, the removal of delay when opening the wingsuit has led to me dying three times through sprinting over small objects like rocks, or jumping over fences. Any slight lift whilst holding down sprint causes instant death due to the wingsuit opening. I don't know if the two actions can be bound to different keys (forgot to check), but they're the same for me.

Dziggy

Dziggy

Faithful poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
You can't actually craft the syringes and upgrade that Dennis asks you to, but as long as you try to craft something it'll continue on with the tutorial even if you didn't actually craft anything. I just released an update that should fix the wingsuit issue. Press and release jump button to jump as normal, or press and hold the jump button to jump and deploy the wingsuit. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Dziggy, 24 January 2013 - 12:14 AM.

dallin

dallin

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Nice mod!

I love your camera. How did you remove the text/names for NPC types above the frame?

I've looked through all the textures and cant find them anywhere.

May I use your camera in a mod of my own?

Thanks!

Dziggy

Dziggy

Faithful poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
The text isn't a texture, it's in the oasisstrings_compressed.bin file. Until someone figures out how to decompress that file, we can't edit it directly, but you can edit it with a hex editor if you know how to. The oasisstrings_compressed.bin file in my mod does a lot more than just remove that text, though.

Edited by Dziggy, 23 January 2013 - 11:11 PM.

sputnik888509

sputnik888509

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I initially played through using Compilation Mod Ver. 2.01, posted by Uplaysuxor on the original FC3 mod thread on the Ubisoft forums. I just tried mixing it together with Poor Basturd's compilation and was making some acceptable progress putting them together, but you hit the nail on the head with the list of features here. Thanks for releasing this Ziggy :) I'll let you know how I like it, what I change/add if anything.

Dziggy

Dziggy

Faithful poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm open to improving it if needed, so if you have any issues or ideas, please do post them.

sputnik888509

sputnik888509

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You only have one file available here, although you said you updated the file earlier, I feel like I just experienced the same problem. So with that, here is a feedback on my playthrough up to that moment.

Game start, normal, cinematic intro, no problems, have watched it about 30 times now. Getting pretty tired of it but it's not THAT long. Then Vaas. I'm immediately disappointed by the lack of new camo textures for Vaas' pirates from Poor Basturd's comp. That aside, I'm not opposed to wasting the dudes in red.

As soon as I'm out of the cage I'm welcomed by something I haven't experienced yet in this game: peace. For about 30 seconds as I crawl along, it feels like a new game. I reached the first tutorial pop up for "DETECTION METER." Sadly, as the dogs started barking at me and Grant, I realized I needed to hit START (>) then (A) to make that go away. As normal. Except it took me longer to notice, and there was no explanation in the tutorial screen. So now the tutorials are even more pointless. No bother, I say, and move forward. I'm pretty happy with everything from this point on, until Amanaki. It felt much more correct to play the game without all those popups. UBIsoft could've let go of whoever they paid to WRITE all of that and just put the command quicktips. Idk who they're trying to market this game to, 18 year olds or 6 year olds. Seriously. I can figure out my games and if I freakin' die, I probably deserve it for not rtfm.

So, Amanaki. Cutscene. Upon browsing the shop, I notice the new backgrounds. It's ok, really the bad part is I can't read the text in some the menus well since the backgrounds are gone. No this doesn't really affect the gameplay but it's still a nuance for me. Whatever. Screw the shops anyway. The compass is nice, although sort of annoying to watch the N spin around. Do the climb, destroy the scrambler, and pray that Jason grabs the zipline when I hop underneath the antenna's guy-wire. Great. Dennis does his little dialogue and we look at the map.

The map looks nice. I like the new icons, and the sense that you don't know what animals are around. I'm pretty pleased with the map, if not a little disoriented at first by all the news icons. I take a little bit of fidgeting to place the waypoint, as the center is not overlayed on the map. Drive over there, stop the car and climb out. I remember that there are different collection and crafting requirements for this mission now...and wonder if I'll fulfill them. I spot some boar along the riverside here and head towards them. I hope over a small waist-high fence and...deploy the wingsuit, and die.

So...I'm really impressed with some of the things you removed from the UI. I'm not faulting you for the wingsuit thing, because I probably held the button...but there should be a more elegant way to implement that. You could just decrease the delay as other modders seem to have done. After much deliberation and finding a mod that I thought took away all the UI elements I want gone, it seems that I'll decide to just keep them. A friend of mine is playing through the story on my PC, and suffice to say, he's not gonna be able to play the game without all of that.

I was excited to see the list of features but since they don't all seem to be functioning for me, I'm going to switch back to my hackneyed patch files. Good work all the same and definitely will look back for updates.

Dziggy

Dziggy

Faithful poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
Only the newest version of the mod is available. I am looking at the textures from the Poor Basturd Mod. You don't need to pause the game or do any of that during the tutorial. If you did, you don't have tutorial pop-ups turned off in the options menu. I only hid the pop-ups that you can't already toggle off from the game's options menu. Hiding the ones you can already hide would be redundant and a waste of time. When I played through the tutorial, I didn't get a single HUD pop-up message. I realize the shop menu text can be a little hard to read, but there's really nothing I can do about that. All of the text boxes in this game use the same background texture, so when I removed the HUD pop-ups background texture, many other things became transparent as well. That's why I added the new background to the menu, so the text would be readable. If I re-added the texture, then every time there would normally be a HUD pop-up message, the background texture would still pop-up, but there would just be no text in it. There's no way around this at the moment. I didn't want the list of items to be on the screen during the mission Dennis gives you after the map tutorial because when you get to the spot Jason vocally expresses that he doesn't have any idea what he's supposed to get, so neither should the player. Collect plants and animal skins until Jason decides you have enough. There's no reason to hold the jump button when moving over obstacles. Tap it to jump, hold it to use the wingsuit. There really is no better way to implement it because no matter which button it's on, that problem could easily happen. Unless I put it on some very awkward button, in which case it would just be an annoyance to use.

Edited by Dziggy, 24 January 2013 - 03:26 AM.

dallin

dallin

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Wingsuit issues aside... this is one of the most well organized mods to date. Congrats to you on your hard work!! /endorsed

Edited by dallin, 24 January 2013 - 03:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Page loaded in: 0.858 seconds