NPC Holding Rifle by Default

trilioth

I created a custom companion as a learning process and I got everything working right except for this one small detail. The NPC is found holding her rifle in her hand like it's a pistol. After getting her to join me, I can fix this by telling her to switch to melee or by opening her inventory. I guess this has something to do with how I setup the companion. Shouldn't she have the weapon holstered by default? Does anyone know why this happens?

Here is an Image for reference.

Looks like a common AI bug that occurs when you add an item to an NPC's inventory via a script. You can usually fix it by removing something from their inventory in the same script.

It's a non-playable special weapon using companion ammo. It was added to the inventory using the GECK.

Thanks for the tip, though. I might just do that to make things look right, but I hope that it would not be necessary.

Edit: I know this is really a minor problem, but I want to make sure that I am doing everything right before I end up having mistakes in released work.

Edit 2: I added those two lines to the NPC's object script in the original DoOnce block and it worked. Thanks again.

Edited by trilioth

• 2 weeks later...

:dance: I figured it out!

The object script of the NPC needs the variable WeaponOut.

I tested this without using the additem/removeitem work around.

Edit: "int WeaponOut" You don't need to set it, just declare it.

Edited by trilioth