Witcher Race

DestinyChopsticks

http://thewitcher.sk/wp-content/gallery/wallpapery2/geralt_igni_1920x1080.jpg

I apologize if this has been posted before; I did a thorough advanced search of the mods available, but the only one available is here, and quite frankly Modger99 couldn't have been more misled in the way he went about doing it.

Firstly, I'm looking for a lore-friendly mod that adds a witcher-like mutant race to the game. If any of you are unfamiliar with Andrzej Sapkowski's Witcher books, witchers are humans taken at a young age and subjected to rigorous training and alchemical processes, including ingesting mutagens and learning basic magic. The result is a fighter with exceptional constitution, speed, and strength, able to use magic to bolster his fighting abilities.

In Modger99's mod, he has made the mistake of throwing out the Skyrim experience by replacing spells with signs -- basic magical effects. I'm playing Skyrim, so I'd like to have Skyrim magic, thanks. The mod I'm looking for should forego these types of changes. Additionally, witchers fight with a one-handed blade, leaving their other hand free to cast magic; in Modger99's mod, he's given the witcher race proficiency in two-handed weapons, which is completely contrary. Furthermore, he has also given bonuses to alchemy, enchanting, and smithing... the purpose of a witcher is to hunt monsters, not sit at the forge. These should be bonuses to offensive abilities.

Lastly, the mod also ignores the resistance to disease and night vision that are the result of witcher mutations.

I don't mean to be harsh on Modger99, he was really quite thorough, but it seems like he never read any of the books and based all of his ideas off an interpretation of the Witcher games. And he did what I really dislike seeing in mods... he tried to make one game into another. :psyduck:

So, to get to what I would like to see in a witcher mod, if someone is interested, is the following:

Skills

One-handed +10

Light armour +10

Destruction +5

Block +5

Sneak +5

Abilities

Resist Disease (50% is Reguard level, I would really like to see 75% because it's an unnatural resistance rather than inherent hardiness) and poison (again, 75% would seem appropriate)

Night Vision (like the Khajiit ability, but maybe toggle on/off -- I don't know why this ability would ever be on a timer if it weren't a magic spell)

Enhanced Reflexes (actor values "weaponspeedmult" and "leftweaponspeedmult" should be slightly higher than 1... but only marginally; I think when I tested the speeds out on one character I made I decided that 1.2 was plenty quick; enough to give an edge in fighting that could come from mutations for speed)

If it's at all possible, I was also wondering if there could be a block chance against light projectiles such as arrows. In the books, Geralt the Witcher can deflect crossbow bolts in mid-air. Well... one bolt. He managed two on a single occasion, but was quick to tell his amazed allies that he'd never managed to block two bolts before, and would likely never be able to do it again. This could possibly fit under the Enhanced Reflexes ability, if it can be done at all. I'd like to see it, but I don't expect miracles.

Miscellaneous

The appearance of witchers should have skin tone settings of Nords. The mutations that witchers are exposed to can cause depigmentation of the skin, so having darker-skinned witchers (as in, with Redguard skin tones) can't be too common; I might have been able to imagine a Redguard as a witcher if it weren't for that detail, and the fact that they can't see in the dark.

The mutation in the witcher's eye that allows him to see in the dark also results in a change in the organ's physical appearance... it looks like a viper's or cat's eye. This is a minor detail, so no need to bother with it if you don't want to.

Witcher magical abilities, in some of the books, are alluded to being dependent on elixirs. Perhaps there can be a potion that is specific to this race that fortifies magicka and different magic schools? Again, a minor detail that borders on obsessiveness, and it can be disregarded.

For the description of witchers in the race menu, I'd really appreciate seeing a reference to how the mutations to which witchers have been subjected have also given them extended lifespans, if they survive the brutal encounters with monsters. The oldest witcher in the books is said to be at least a few centuries old, which puts them on par with the Altmer, if I'm correct.

Nothing quite like that exist, but if you are looking for an exact copy/Geralt race, use this http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9198

Yes... as I mentioned before, I'm not looking for something that replaces the Skyrim gameplay. I want the holds to keep their armour, I want spells to work the way they normally do, and I want everything else the same with the addition of a witcher race.

Are there any modders interested in doing a race like this?

Nothing quite like that exist, but if you are looking for an exact copy/Geralt race, use this http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9198

Yes... as I mentioned before, I'm not looking for something that replaces the Skyrim gameplay. I want the holds to keep their armour, I want spells to work the way they normally do, and I want everything else the same with the addition of a witcher race.

That mod only adds to original Skyrim Experience, Everyone have their own armor, Spells work same way, Witcher is a race, and armnour is scattered across skyrim with new enemies. I'm actually playing as Witcher right now, he's a werewolf now ;)

That mod only adds to original Skyrim Experience, Everyone have their own armor, Spells work same way, Witcher is a race, and armnour is scattered across skyrim with new enemies. I'm actually playing as Witcher right now, he's a werewolf now ;)

Reading through the comments it seems like there are lots of bugs in regards to spells. :confused:

Also, I already use armours from Viper Assassin / Blue Stripes and The Witcher 2 Models, which I'm concerned may lead to conflicts.

Have you experienced any issues I should know about?

Reading through the comments it seems like there are lots of bugs in regards to spells. :confused:

Also, I already use armours from Viper Assassin / Blue Stripes and The Witcher 2 Models, which I'm concerned may lead to conflicts.

There's one bug with spells, but author provided a hotfix, No critical errors or bugs encountered and I'm playing with lots of mods on.

Technically there should not be any conflict but the mods you listed have already their counterparts in this mod.

If you're afraid of the mod causing bugs, you can wait for next release. The Author is adding face animations and Triss as a companion ;)

There's one bug with spells, but author provided a hotfix, No critical errors or bugs encountered and I'm playing with lots of mods on.

Technically there should not be any conflict but the mods you listed have already their counterparts in this mod.

If you're afraid of the mod causing bugs, you can wait for next release. The Author is adding face animations and Triss as a companion ;)

This is starting to sound more promising. Is the hotfix for the spells included in the most recent version that I downloaded today? I haven't installed it yet, but I figured that I'd give it a try since it doesn't replace everything like I thought it did (I've had to re-install the game before because things got replaced and it f***ed everything up). Also, when is the next release slated to come out, has the author given any indication about how close it is to completion?

This is starting to sound more promising. Is the hotfix for the spells included in the most recent version that I downloaded today? I haven't installed it yet, but I figured that I'd give it a try since it doesn't replace everything like I thought it did (I've had to re-install the game before because things got replaced and it f***ed everything up). Also, when is the next release slated to come out, has the author given any indication about how close it is to completion?

No set date for next release, and hotfix is downloaded as separate file in download tab, there are only 2 files to download and you need them both one is hotfix and the other is the mod itself

Edited by HarryJPotter

No set date for next release, and hotfix is downloaded as separate file in download tab, there are only 2 files to download and you need them both one is hotfix and the other is the mod itself

Okay, I've downloaded the hotfix. Tomorrow I will give this mod a try. I've played for hours tonight... I got the Dragonspire Manor and had to decide which storage unit should be for what type of weapons, what type of armour, what type of randomly pilfered vegetable, what type of crafting materials... tomorrow I shall see if this mod got witchers right...

Okay. So I installed it and activated it and it won't work.

I can't create a Geralt character as it should be in the character creation menu. I've fiddled around with it three times now and I'm thoroughly pissed with having to go through the whole intro sequence just to be let down.

This mod shall not be getting my endorsement.