Map Overhaul - Hold/Region specific

Thingamajig

Hi all.

One of a number of problems with skyrim is the persistent hand-holding that goes on in the game, and one place where this is visible the most is how the game presents the map we all so conveniently have unlocked from the start of the game.

Lets also not forget map/quest markers either. Nothing kills immersion and a sense of exploration more than the way it is now.

Now as usuful as this all is; it should be optional, but not through some toggle option in the games settings, but through findable/purchasable objects within the game. Such as maps and a compass.

What i want to see is a mod which covers the main map in a complete cloud using the existing cloud/fog effects, with the only region visible being "The Pale" (where Helgen and Riverwood are - where you start)

http://i.imgur.com/Hp7k6.png

In order to unlock other regions/holds in the main map view (ie, remove the fog), the player should either Buy (or find on NPC's or as usual loot) other "Hold" specific maps within the game.

In addition, in order to use/view the HUD based compass (and view quest arrows - both on HUD compass and map) the player should be carrying a compass, either found or bought. As for places marked on the map - this feature should remain untouched. So regardless if a player has a Hold map or not, if they discover (or are told of) a place of interest and it's marked on the map, it's marked as usual.

Anywhoo, this is just my idea. This would help significantly in giving the game world that extra sense of depth and exploration it so desperately needs. Instead of it being a case of "Ok, i just follow the quest marker on my map". The hand holding must stop if we're to truely have an immersive gaming experience.

Edited by Thingamajig

• 6 months later...

Good idea! I don't know the mapping system nor the UI system.

However, I can guess that it's easy to hide UI elements and have them shown when an item is an inventory or is "out of your pack" and is being used.

My main complaint with the defalt map, is that they don't label the boundaries of which Hold. I still get confused at some of the narrative because I've not managed to become familiar with the different regions - even if I use the map quite often.