Morrowind: The best TES game?

jrod1311

The loot, the immersion, the freedom, the importance of being the Nerevarine, the beauty, etc. Even being over a decade old, Morrowind is STILL (to me) the best ES game. Sure, the graphics may be a bit dated, but the gameplay and immersion is years ahead most "modern" games. If you haven't tried it, go do so now. You wont regret it. I would love to hear people's point of views regarding if it is indeed the best ES game.

In terms of the "you are there" factor, it is! I don't mean to criticize the sequels or the company, but it's obvious that Morrowind had the most time put into it. The politics, factions, and individual characters are well realized. There are hardly any namless NPC's with the notable exception of the Imperial guards. Each quest was carefully thought out and executed- including those ho-hum "fetch this many of this item" quests. And speaking of, the book-style journal is one of my favorite parts of Morrowind despite the awkwardness of having to page through it. (Having the index feature of the Game of the Year edition helps a lot in that respect.)

I don't claim that the combat is the best, yet it is a welcome break from the hyper-fast, gore-heavy fighting of modern games. (If you don't like blood, don't play Daggerfall. Just saying.) As for skills, it would nice to have a title that strikes a balance between Morrowind's and Oblivion's systems- skill won't always succeed but they won't fail 50 to 90% of the time.

Edited by Tigersong

• 3 weeks later...

It indeed is.

The quests and factions are really what is done best, and what puts the game ahead of the others. The feeling of alienation and mistery completes the atmosphere.

Skyrim is nice and everything but all you do is fighting. In Morrowind you *had* to explore and you could find powerful items (and enemies) regardless of your level. You were not safe even when asleep inside a guild. You could take different decisions in most of the quests, playing as evil/neutral/good.

Also, the character's power growth is quite evident, which makes you proud of the level reached. The world was not around you.

I still never managed to join the vampiric clans notwithstanding the hours spent on it.

This is what I liked most of Morrowind, and if Bethesda spent more time on quests and factions for Skyrim, then Skyrim might be as good as Morrowind.

I particularly think they should have had more factions to join in Skyrim. The addition of the Imperial Cult, Tribunal and Imperial Legion as joinable factions would have been great in Skyrim (or something similar) There was not really a faction in Skyrim you could join if you wanted to RP a battle cleric or some such (not that that was my first pick, but it would have been a pick on a playthrough)

Agreed on all points. If they re-released like a Morrowind HD or something, they would definitely have my money. Morrowind was just the better game than Skyrim in a staggering amount of ways.

I'm definitely still in love with it. It's factions, the way they intereact and effect the player's choices. It's methods of fast travel which are varied but not everywhere so you still have a chance to really explore. It's totally unique and otherwordly landscapes, architecture and creatures. All of that just sucked me in and keep bringing me back.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the atmosphere and immersion is what makes Morrowind so enjoyable and the pace seems just right, I can spend a long time just randomly running around the map finding things to do when I want a break from questing and never get bored. Oblivion I enjoyed a fair bit as well, but I don't know what it is with Skyrim I just can't play it for more than 15-20 minute bursts and it doesn't really feel fun for that small amount of time. Not sure why I can't get in to Skyrim, but something I can't put my finger just feels missing.

Morrowind is simply best TES game. I liked that world doesn't level up around you, but you level up around the world. You can find suprises during adventuring and great treasures. Morrowind keeps you exited, that's what it does. Skyrim gets boring after a while and it doesn't have the same touch as morrowind. After finished Dragonborn main quest in skyrim, with those giant mushrooms, house telvanni, morrowind music, siltriders, i felt like installing morrowind again.

• 3 weeks later...

While I've not played Arena, Daggerfall, or Redguard...I must say that of the 3 TES games I've played, Morrowind remains my favourite. Sure, it lacks in certain technical aspects, such as collision, scripted events, and has no voiced dialogue like the two after it...but it's such an immense world. And, in my opinion, way more customisable.

The story, the people...the scenery...the otherworldly beasts...Morrowind feels like it actually exists in the dual-mooned world of Nirn, instead of a modified version of Earth like Skyrim and Oblivion do.