Would you like the Companions to be destroyable?

bruce142

282 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the Companions to be destroyable?

• Yes, I want to put a smile on Aela's face, a red one, muhahahaha (insert evil laughter here)
    • Yes, having a option to join or destroy the Companions is a good option
    • No, absolutely not, what did they do to deserve this punishment?
  2. 2. If you have voted 1 or 2, which NPC would you like to be the questgiver

• Krev the Skinner, leader of the Silver Hand
    • A custom voiceacted NPC
    • Any other suggestion specified by you in this thread
  3. 3. What should be the effects of your action of destroying the Companions?

• You will be shunned in or banned out of Whiterun
    • The guards in Whiterun will hate you and you're not able to pay off your bounty
    • Any other suggestion specified by you in this thread

This project has been abandoned due issues with Vignar Gray-Mane becoming a jarl.

I'm holding a poll to see if there is enough support for my next idea, a Destroy the Companions quest similar to my mod Destroy the Thieves Guild. I was thinking of letting you join the Silver Hand and letting Krev the Skinner be the questgiver. The quest will be initiated by maybe a letter from the Silver Hand recruiting members for the fight against the Companions. You will be able to join the Silver Hand and wipe out the Companions (maybe after some minor quests). There is one suggestion I will never implement, this is that you're able to become a werewolf after you destroy the Companions because this is a reason for the Silver Hand to hunt you down as well.

Now the effects of your actions, it has been suggested that you would be banned from Whiterun, seems a bit drastic, but not unthinkable because Whiterun is the home of the Companions. I was thinking about a maybe less drastic approach, let the guards in Whiterun hate you for killing the Companions and disable the option to pay your bounty. Let me make one thing clear, you will receive bounty for killing the Companions (other than

killing the Thieves Guild, for which you don't receive bounty because this is not an evil action and the Jarls want to get rid of the Thieves Guild) because this is

something more for the evil characters.

Progress on the making of this quest (if there is enough support for this idea) will be posted here.

Please comment and vote to keep this forum thread alive.

---------------------------------

I've found a problem, I can't turn Kodlak to non-essential both ingame and in CK, he keeps getting on his knees. Anyone got an idea?

Edited by bruce142

Allow me to elaborate:

1. For the ska e of a truly open world, where you have diffrent options, there should be more mods to allow us (the player) to destroy certain guilds instead of joining them, such as the ablity to wipe out the dark brotherhood instead of becoming a member.

2. For the main questgiver, make it Krev the Skinner, since he is the head of the Silver Hand. On a side note, change the Silver Hnad to be non hostile to the player as long as the player is not a werewolf. That way If the player is exploring and they stumble on a Silver Hand camp they can be given the quest by speaking to a Silver Hand member to be directed to Krev the Skinner.

- Even if the player has intialy joined, by talking to the Harbinger, don't flip the hostile swithc until the player triggers the scene with the Silver Hand in the tomb when Farkas transforms in front of the player, at that moment have a new sliver hand member confont the player (since the player is not a werewolf) and demand to know were the player stands, with the Silver Hand or with the Werewolves. If the player accepts then the silver hand relaease him and they kill Farkas. If declined then the questline continues as normal.

3. In regards to being shunned out of Whiterun, Id have to say no, simiply becasue the main citites are the main hubs of questing in skyrim, and being banned/ shunned from a city limits the player to do other quests that they want to do.

-With that being said there should be some way of letting the player know that people are aware that the companions are dead, such as the guards tripling any and all bounties you may recieve from droping a weapon on the ground to shouting in public or assaulting someone.

thats what i got.

@modder3434 :

Even if the player has intialy joined, by talking to the Harbinger, don't flip the hostile swithc until the player triggers the scene with the Silver Hand in the tomb when Farkas transforms in front of the player, at that moment have a new sliver hand member confont the player (since the player is not a werewolf) and demand to know were the player stands, with the Silver Hand or with the Werewolves. If the player accepts then the silver hand relaease him and they kill Farkas. If declined then the questline continues as normal.

Yes, I'm intending to make the Silver Hand friendly towards you if you have killed Kodlak Whitemane, the moment you have suggested is maybe a bit too late (they need to be hostile towards you if you have joined the Companions). I can't test this however because I can't seem to kill Kodlak, in his ActorBase in CK he isn't set to essential and even when I type setessential 0001A68F 0 he is still essential.

Shunned out of Whiterun sounds like a great idea! I would never destroy the companions, but I think it is a choice that should be there. And being forced to stay out of Whiterun would be a serious consequence for your actions.

Some elaboration on my responses:

1) The Companions clearly have enemies, and while I myself have no feelings one way or the other about either side, the player's rather rail-roaded in that they have only one option -- and I hate rail-roading!

2) If not Krev per se, someone high up in the Silver Hand. I mean, you're not talking to Whitemane right off the bat if you join the Companions, why would you get to go straight to the top with their enemies? That doesn't make sense! (In hindsight maybe I should have voted for option 2 on that one...)

3) Each murder should have the same risk of getting a bounty as any other murder -- but if you do it all sneaky-like, and/or murder all witnesses, you shouldn't automatically get a bounty. Also, why would you get perma-banned or perma-hated out of Whiterun? The Companions don't run the place, they just happen to have a home there! At the absolute most you should get a higher bounty than any "normal" murder would get you, and maybe a few individuals would refuse to talk to you afterward, but really that's it. That the Companions happen to have their home base in Whiterun doesn't mean they or their murders gets any kind of super-special treatment.

3a) Now, if destroying the Companions is your path into joining the Silver Hand, then maybe you'd find yourself on a few more s#*!-lists -- not because of the murders, but because of your current affiliations.

You could use the fact that the circle are all werewolves as a plot point for destryoing them that doesnt affect bounties or access to the cities. You get the quest to talk to Krev and if you join his side he needs you to go to Balgruf and inform him of the werewolves in the city so the circle is forced out of the city. The silver hand would have a better chance of defeating them if they were not protected by the city guards so thats where the player comes in. The player has the trust of the Jarl so he would investigate and thats why Krev wants the player on his side.

Plus this works perfect as a comparison to joining the companions. if you join the companions the Silver hand attempts to take jorvasker and are defeated, Player joins the Silver hand and the companions are exhiled from the city then they suceed.

As for when you get the quest have it happen after Farkas transforms infront of you and before you are offered the blood. Have a Silver hand member confront you and inform you Krev has an offer for you. Quest to see Krev that will fail if you join the circle and become a werewolf is given by this guy. If you choose to talk to Krev and see what he has to offer the quest will complete and you get the choice join the Silver hand or do not join.

Joining Silver Hand should have its own repercussions though, besides getting rid of the Companions.

A benefit may include alliance with Vigilants of Stendarr. Perhaps, allowing more choice to player. Either join Silver Hand or Vigilants in destroying Companions. Either way, player will be friendly/allied to both.

A negative consequence may be inability to join Volikhar faction/becoming Vampire Lord, forcing the player to be with the Dawnguard ... Silver injures werewolves, undead, and vampires.

Such a character narrative arc would be very fitting for a Paladin-type character, that I may just start a new game with :D

Great idea! I can't wait till ALL major guilds are destroyable, particularly the Dark Brotherhood. I hate those guys. I mean ... out of ALL the other factions, they go OUT of THEIR WAY to kill your player character lol

@ NomadicA17

You can destroy the Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim. After you kill that horrible orpahange lady and get "kidnapped" by Astrid, kill Astrid instead of killing one of the three victims. You get the Quest "Destroy the Dark Brotherhood" and sent to see the leader of the Emperor's Bodyguard.

I've never been of the opinion that the Companions need to die. Is it reasonable to be against Daedric things like vampires and werewolves? Yeah, sure, but the Companions aren't a bunch of mindless, bloodthirsty monsters like most feral werewolves. They keep themselves in check and don't go around killing innocent people. And even if that's not enough, most of The Circle is starting to dislike being werewolves and want out (which you can totally do). If you don't want to join them, that's totally fine and I'm sure there's a couple mods that make it so the quest to join them never comes up.

It's important to remember that, while the Companions don't indeed run Whiterun, they and the wisdom of their Harbinger are well respected throughout the nine holds of Skyrim. If people became aware that you where responsible for their mass slaughter (just like guards can become aware you're in the Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild), you'd probably be hated by a lot of people EVERYWHERE, but especially Whiterun. I could easily see it within the realm of realistic possibility that the Jarl of Whiterun not wanting to talk with you anymore, maybe even revoking your Thaneship for such an act, and herein lies one of the big problems with a mod like this: There's a very real chance it could irrevocably screw over someone's game.

Player's NEED Whiterun, because that's where you need to trap Odaving. If the Jarl hates your guts because you decided to destroy one of the most respected organizations in the entire province, sucks to be you.

It's also this reason why I would never use a mod that destroys the College of Winterhold. You kinda need the college in order to find that Elder Scroll you need for the main quest. Plus, why would anyone want to destroy the college, unless you listen to the paranoid, superstitious crazy people who distrust all magic (like the people in Morthal)?

Edited by ShadCroly