GTX 660 ti sli or GTX 670 sli for modded skyrim?

Aminados

Hey whats up guys....since there are alot of people here with modded skyrim I guess this is the best place to ask .... so im building a new computer with alot of thought on modded skyrim, I know there are some really demanding mods out there, so I dont know if a gtx 660 ti in SLI is enough. I'll be playing at 1920x1200 single monitor with alot of high textures, enb ect... similar to this guy (witch looks AWESOME)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztzf2_K_5cM&list=UUoMLKn2Xvi0C1x2hC5_Cssw&index=6

So should I go for 670 sli or is 660 ti sli enough? does sli scale well in this game? does anyone with sli notice any microstuttering?

Thanks for your time.
(below 60 FPS is not an option)

Edited by Aminados

I'd like to know if SLI is worth it on Skyrim as well. Vanilla and ENB wise.

All I can say is you're gonna want 2GB VRAM minimum per-card (4GB ideally). I'm using the Bethesda HiRes DLC and other texture packs and it tends to struggle with my 1.5GB GTX 480, to the point of crashing occasionally.

If minimum FPS is a concern then also look at getting a beefy CPU. Bethesda thought it'd be smart to calculate shadows with the CPU instead of you know, GPU like everyone else. That's the main cause of low FPS in Skyrim.

Edited by StylusEcho

I'd like to know if SLI is worth it on Skyrim as well. Vanilla and ENB wise.

All I can say is you're gonna want 2GB VRAM minimum per-card (4GB ideally). I'm using the Bethesda HiRes DLC and other texture packs and it tends to struggle with my 1.5GB GTX 480, to the point of crashing occasionally.

If minimum FPS is a concern then also look at getting a beefy CPU. Bethesda thought it'd be smart to calculate shadows with the CPU instead of you know, GPU like everyone else. That's the main cause of low FPS in Skyrim.

I think 2gb VRAM should be enough since I´m playing single monitor 1920x1200, as for cpu a 3570k at 4.5ghz should do the trick.

It can be. But you might as well just buy a 680.

The reason I dont go with 680 is because the guy on the video I linked has a 680 OC and had 45fps avarage at 1080p with some mods, witch are the mods I want, so 680 is not enough for what I want. 660 ti sli is alot faster then a 680 if sli scales well here, but still I don´t know if it's enough.

Edited by Aminados

If your lucky, you'll get 50% more performance in SLI with two cards than one single card.

But you'll be paying the same price as a single GPU that will use less power and perform just as well.

Throw in micro-stutter, VERY few games supporting SLI/XFire, you're much better off getting the single card.

If the 680 reached 45 fps with those mods, what makes you think that the 660ti in SLI will be even close to 45 fps?

Also, do note that you'll need one mega CPU to not bottleneck a 680, especially in Skyrim. Methinks the graphics card is being throttled.

Edited by FiftyTifty

If your lucky, you'll get 50% more performance in SLI with two cards than one single card.

But you'll be paying the same price as a single GPU that will use less power and perform just as well.

Throw in micro-stutter, VERY few games supporting SLI/XFire, you're much better off getting the single card.

If the 680 reached 45 fps with those mods, what makes you think that the 660ti in SLI will be even close to 45 fps?

Also, do note that you'll need one mega CPU to not bottleneck a 680, especially in Skyrim. Methinks the graphics card is being throttled.

GTX 680 is much slower then 660 ti sli and I "HEARD" that you cant really notice any micro-stutter on 6xx sli. Here's a benchmark made on February 18, 2013, that means recent drivers are being used.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/G/E/371246/original/image009.png

From: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-geforce-gtx-660-ti-sli,3429-7.html

Anyway, this is a non modded skyrim so thats why I came here to ask those who actually have 6xx sli to share some of their frist hand experiances with me :biggrin: Thanks to all replies anyways!

Just bought a gtx 670 oc 4gb (4gb just for modding lol).i ve to wait 5 days but i ll let you know how good it is xD

don't go for the 680 is not worth the price

Thanks dude I would really appreciate it!! btw what resolution you playing at? did you max out a 2gb vRam card? how many mods?

If you can afford it SLI is a definate yes, If you get stuttering from SLI then you can always shut it off until a driver update fixes it as the driver would be at fault for most of the stuttering and not the games setup for using the hardware. But now the Nvidia drivers dont have any issues with Skyrim and any updates that may affect Skyrim would be performance increases.

Also with benchmarks non modded is the way to go, so the 660Ti would be a good card in SLI for the price The higher rez textures wont have a huge performance hit if the card doesnt have to swap texture memory back and forth from RAM to VRAM which a 4GB card most likely wont have an issue with(been tested for SPM already). As for the ENB you plan to use always ask for results from those that use it and get an average FPS drop then figure you will see around that.