How to Install Morrowind Plug-ins

Baphomet

actually, with me, files often dont extract properly when done by the program.

That's a problem I've not encountered.

Sometimes the ACTUAL data paths specified in the plug-in and the location the "Read Me" file TELLS me to extract them are different, but you have to blame the modder for that.

The most common example of this would be when the "Read Me" directs me to extract the files to the Morrowind\Data Files folder, but when I look at the data path specified in the plug-in, it will show, for examle, "Data Files\Meshes\..."; so extracting them as the "Read Me" specifies, would create a Data Files sub-folder (MW\Data Files\Data Files), and screw-up your install.

With Zip Genius this is easy to both identify and correct. One of the many reasons I both use and recommend it.

Come on Switch... come into the Light that IS... Zip Genius. :P

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i found the zip genius interface confusing, i couldnt even work out which button was extract, or how the extract feature worked (i dont remember exactly why i didnt like it). and the file paths can be exactly right (just textures folder, etc, and no data files folder) and it STILL doesnt extract properly. and yet when i do it manually, it works. (it even didnt extract the ESP file once! :blink:)

Personally I found the GUI for Zip Genius rather intuitive... The extract button you were looking for is the one labeled "Extract" for instance. Or you could choose to "Extract Files" from the left side-panel. :P

Ah well, I guess that's why there are so many flavors of ice cream out there, so everyone can find just what they're looking for.

vive la difference!

No, Switch! Don't listen to him! Use PowerArchiver!

Ah, PowerArchiver, that rare breed of compression program that can handle just about any type of compressed file you care to throw at it!

I know how to install mods its just that sometimes when i install it i know for a fact that i am installing it right but when i go to the place where you select the mods that you want to use the mod i just installed is not there and if i install it again its still the same. Can some one plz tell me how to correct this !? :o

Look at the directory structure. If the ESP(s) are in the root of the archive, you can just extract it to Data Files and you'll, more often than not, be set. If there's a "Data Files" directory at the root of the archive, extract it into your Morrowind directory. If there's a "Games," "Bethesda Softworks," "Program Files," &c. (Or would that be "or cetera?") directory in the archive root and nothing else, take a second to applaud the plugin's author for his intuitive design and obvious expertise with archiving programs in general and extract it to a seperate folder. Go through the many directories in that folder until you reach the directory with the ESP in it. Put the entre directory to clipboard and move it to your Data Files directory.

switch wrote-    actually, with me, files often dont extract properly when done by the program. I always do them manually just to be sure I dont end up messing the plugin

baphomet wrote: Sometimes the ACTUAL data paths specified in the plug-in and the location the "Read Me" file TELLS me to extract them are different, but you have to blame the modder for that.

The most common example of this would be when the "Read Me" directs me to extract the files to the Morrowind\Data Files folder, but when I look at the data path specified in the plug-in, it will show, for examle, "Data Files\Meshes\..."; so extracting them as the "Read Me" specifies, would create a Data Files sub-folder (MW\Data Files\Data Files), and screw-up your install.

That is precisely why I do it manually. At one point I had something like 6 data files/data files branches, all for seperate mods. I had a warnings file that was too big for either notepad or wordpad. Yikes. Luckily, fixing the mess wasn't as hard as I thought.

Question though, is power achiever just an unzip utility or wil it compress stuff as well? I've never heard of it.

PowerArchiver will open, create, encrypt, extract, add, delete, view, checkout, test, show properties etc for pretty much any type of compressed file. It will also remember passwords for encrypted files! Oh, and the toolbar is skinnable!

More info available here:

PowerArchiver Home Page