How to Install Morrowind Plug-ins

Baphomet

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because WinZip can't handle .ACE, .RAR and a few other compressed file types. Quite a few mod makers are compressing their mods using .RAR or .ACE these days so obviuosly we need a file compression utility that will handle them. Personally I think PowerArchiver is one of the best (but it's not freeware!).

I agree with you... I used Power Archiver for a long time and it is an awesome utility. I plug Zip Genius here religiously because it's free for downloading, but if I was actually going to shell out dinero for an archive utility, PA would be my first choice.

Yeah, ZipGenius is probably the best freeware archiving utility currently available, but, if you want/can spend some cash then you won't go far wrong with PowerArchiver.

• 1 month later...

Ok let me explain some things about the different archive formats.

zip - old outdated, no recovery records, no signature, often gets corrupted, provides the lowest quality compression compaired to other formats.

rar - provides decent compression, recovery records, signature, archive lock, best sfx installer features.

ace - provides best compression, recovery records, signature, decent sfx installer features.

Wow I didn't realize that soo many people had a problem with installing plugins... oh hold on a second I did. Thats why I created a project to resolve these fustrating problems, of course there were other reasons I created the project.

Here is a link to the projects thread. Click Here to Goto thread

• 2 months later...

Ok, I apologize if this is Necromancy, but I am currently trying to install a couple of plugins (the hadhafang quest and smokeable pipes) and I cannot get them to show up on my Data File screen. I used Winzip (I know, I know) to extract the files and now I am sort of lost as to what I need to do next.

The explanation at the begining of this thread was a little confusing since I do not have ZipGenius nor do I have the time to DL it. Some help would be appreciated greatly (as this is my first time using plugins on MW).

Thanks greatly,

A.

Search your Morrowind Data Files directory for a folder that doesn't quite belong there... Anything besides BookArt, Fonts, Icons, Meshes, Music, Sound, Splash, Textures, and Video directories should be suspect.

If you find a directory that shouldn't be there, go inside... If there's a trail of subdirectories leading at last to a Data Files folder, move the Data Files directory to your Morrowind root directory and don't hesitate to find whoever archived the plugins and slap the asanine idiot over the head with a fifty pound UNIX manual.

If there's a trail of subdirectories leading at last to a Data Files folder, move the Data Files directory to your Morrowind root directory

Ok, I found the Data Files (well, in some at least) but I am confused as to how I would move them to the root directory. Please bear with me, I am not technologically savvy, and I am a dunce when it comes to this sort of thing...

Thanks for the patience...

A.

Use Windows Explorer and move the folder or folders to where they need to be. You should be able to simply "click and drag" the folders from one location to the other.

Of course you'll download Zip Genius and end your self-imposed suffering as soon as possible, right?