13 replies to this topic

Farsot

Farsot

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Hi nexus!

So my problem is, I run the game smoothly with 40-60 fps outside but when I turn I almost always get an fps drop of 10-20 fps and then they go up again which causes lags.
First I thought Skytest would cause the stutter but when I ran the game only with Skytest and the major graphic mods I want to use (Flora Overhaul, Skyrim HD highes, WATER), the stutter was gone.
As soon as I used texture mods for the characters I got fps drops again, without calientes body mod it was a lot better but the stutter was still there. So I installed all the other mods in the modlist above except any character textures or meshes but I got fps drops anyways.
My guess is, I just have to many script and texture mods for the game to run without slow downs. Since I don't have any other stability issues like ctds or freezes I could live with that... I really would like to know if there still is anything I could do against those fps drops.
What I did is compressing my textures folder with optimizer textures using the max preset.

Anyways, here are my system specs, my modlist and my Inis, I'll add a papyrus log later. Also I'm using a very performance friendly enb (Winterheart II) with smaa. Skyrim graphic settings are on ultra without aa and with shadows and obj detail down to high, 1920x1080 resolution.

System: GTX 570 1280 mb, i5@3,3GHz, 8 gb Ram

Skyrimprefs.ini

Spoiler

Skyrim.ini

Spoiler

Boss Modlist - is it important to clean those dirty edits? If yes is there any tutorial how to clean mods properly? Only found one that explains how to clean the official files.

Spoiler

I hope my english is understandable. Would appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance :smile:

korun

korun

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

dirty edit: yes cleaning is better until the mod author say "don't, and i've always cleaned my  Skyrim masters too without any problem

try to use Wrye bash, build the bashed patch, it's automatic, it will add to a leveled list all the mods tag [delev,relev] and make them working better together.

your config is really good and must run a solid 40 fps average with no lag.

according to a post here, Moonpath is really taxing, but if this happen all around Tamriel, it doesn't matter

last tip, you are using Conveniant horse, use the utility to check your script lag between the game and your rig, you must be in 100 MS, less is better, more = trouble( my rig, my expérience:))

@@

Farsot

Farsot

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

I always rebuild the bashpatch. Thanks for your advice, I'll check that utility!

fiewiel

fiewiel

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Its too much for your vram and there is nothing you can do.

Im in a similar position (have even an older graphiccard and only 1GB vram) and if I use afterburner to display vram the lag happens if vram gets maxed. The moment you turn the game tries to load textures and the small delay is extremely visible through the motion.

In the end I had and still have to deceide what texture mods are worth to keep and how much lag I can stomach.

You can try the texture pack combiner, maybe thats an alternative (required without optionals) for the highrestexturepacks. If the required mods run well, you can easily upgrade more texture mods. Takes some time to setup, but I like it.

korun

korun

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

TPC is known as a taxing mod, obviously you use so much different texture pack, it's a really good mod btw

i have an "office" 1gb GC and to handle ton of texture you must tweak your system a bit, i'm running 100 mods, 80% are high res textures for every things, no lag but only 25 fps average.

then as i said, scripted mod must have enough room to work properly, i'm sure when you'll have optimized your setup it will be find.

use this to SmCo it's really good

@@

Farsot

Farsot

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Thanks for the response!  

@fiewiel

Yea that was my guess too but strangely there isn't any lag when I run the game with the texture mods alone (except character textures/meshes) so there has to be something else going on. Otherwise it has to be the case that Skyrim HD, Flora Overhaul, EDT, Better Dynamic Snow and WATER are just as many visual mods my vram can handle. Well I could go for the low res version of Skyrim HD but it looks really ugly compared to high res. :/ also those mods are kinda must have for me by now, don't want to play without them anymore.

@korun  

Isn't smco basically doing the same thing optimizer textures already does?

Edited by Farsot, 03 March 2013 - 04:58 PM.

korun

korun

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Isn't smco basically doing the same thing optimizer textures already does?

yes you're right

use Skyrim HD 2k- lite version, it is almost the same, really, as the normal one, i have all the package on lite and they are even better than beth's one.

keep up

@@

KenG10

KenG10

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

I get the same thing and agree with fiewiel.  Its just lag from unloading vram and loading again.  I gets way worse if I enable Ultra shadows.

fiewiel

fiewiel

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

I agree with Korun that the lite version isnt so much different to the 4096 version. The hours with afterburner showed me also that you can easily use high quality packs in dungeons, but in cities there is no way for me to go with non-lite texture versions. Whiterun is my homebase and the area around the smithy eats vram like candy. So yesterday I tested a couple of texture mods like SFO and water. SFO is pretty demanding and for the visual quality it provides (awesome grass, a couple of ugly trees) its too much for my system and my taste (easily monitored with afterburner). So I went with lush grass/trees (meshes, no textures) and going to test this if my system can handle it.

SMIM is also pretty demanding now for me and doesnt offer so much visual improvment, so not anymore.

For texture compression I use optimizer texture and currently Im testing ddsopt (http://wiki.step-pro...ab=Introduction) but difference seems to be next to nothing. SMCO crashed during my tests, thats a no go and it doesnt offer backup.

Farsot

Farsot

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

I do the backup myself but I think I'll stick to optimizer anyways just compressing the textures. Compressing bsas seems to cause big problems in some cases.

Mhh for me it, the low res version of Skyrim HD makes a huge difference in visual quality :/ I guess I'd rather test lush trees and gras instead of sfo than downgrading skyrim HD.

Love the summer version of sfo though. It's really hard to kick visual mods when you're already so used to it. :D I'd love to run sfo with that new lush mod altogether but that REALLY screws up my performance.

I just made a fresh windows installation, maybe it'll help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fps drop, performance

Page loaded in: 1.315 seconds