Your Top 5 "Must Have" Follower/Companion Mods.

JJDrakken

I am just really curious what folks "Must Have" when it comes to companion mods, I just recently up to 28 Follower Mods, when I just decided, honestly I don't need them, I use them more for armor decorations around my homes, lol.

So I did a purge, deciding I was going cut down to 5, after much pondering, these I consider my top 5 "Must Have" ones.

(Click names to see actual mods).

1. Vilja: She just been hands down one my fav mods period. Many are familiar with her.

2. Lady Brooksie: I don't know what it is about this one, I don't even remember getting her, but she's just been a strong workhorse for me, always gotten me out of crazy tight situations I get myself into when playing an absent minded mage more interested in books & shiny stuff, she been a fantastic bodyguard, as I got my face stuffed in bookshelves in old tombs. Not to mention she can also be a steward for one your homes in Hearthfire.

3. Visarra: She's been my favorite sword n board tank buddy period. She's also seems to be very protective of you also, I've had her intercept people charging me faster then most other followers, not to mention she can introduce you to other Orcs, can be found very near Riverwood. She was the second follower mod I got, has never left my side since I have had Skyrim.

4. Elendyl: Again, another workhorse for me, you get him early in Riverwood, He's just fun to watch going crazy on things with his 2H Weapons, I get this fun image/story in my head of Him & Erik the Slayer being best buds, always rolling their eyes as the absent minded mage is digging up plants & not noticing the incoming Bears, Wolves, etc..., as they charge in to protect me :)

5. Chelsea: A great Archer & nice apprentice(In my mind), to Lady Brooksie, it's fun watching them both fight together, Chelsea shooting them from afar, while Lady Brooksie charges in, stabbing & slicing like dervish of death. I normally have them wearing the same armor(Blood Witch Armor). Consider them my assassin duo. I also prefer the non dragon shouting version of Chelsea(just tastes).

These are Five, that survived or have survived the many Follower/Companion purges I have done. I am just curious what other folks top five favorites are, It's fun to see what & why.(Least for me anyways)

Honorable Mention: Mhillus Tuise: One that survived the Purge(technically my 6th man award). I've yet to do much with this one, though I find it very interesting, hopefully may become a constant staple for me.

JJ

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the most important thing i look for in follower mods is always how immersive and lore friendly they are, and at the same time makes them unique and stand out amung the others.

1. Valfar - im a big fan of the stormcloaks and this just completes it. the armor looks great, the custom voice of galmar made into a follower (i seriously wish i knew how to do that!!!) even though his shouts have hit me a bunch hes still worth it.

2. Hoth - the armor and weapon make for a perfect combo, everything about him just says barbaric and i love it. in both cases of valfar and hoth the thing that stood out was obviously the armor which is nothing short of beautiful work and just adds soo much more.

3. Healer Companion Natalie Vanilla Look - a mod that is severly underrated, in my opinion this one should be at the top of the companions mods list. she actually turns towards the player and other followers and casts the healing spell on them, that is simply incredible. i know alot of people like Cerwiden but this one just perfect. the one and only thing id like to see is custom robes specifically for her, much like valfar and hoth have thier own attire, that would complete it but thats just the fan in me. really though this mod is amazing.

4. Slave Pack Reikling Porter AKA Wak Wak - i remember playing a warlock character and just thinkiing to myself the whole time how much i wanted an Imp follower, i tried to make one out of a falmer but it didnt work out so good. then behold Wak Wak, the perfect compliment to a warlock, anyone playing as one without wak wak is crazy, it just works soo well. plus the dialogue is not only funny but immersive and really adds that extra special something to it.

5. Jebidiah Dragon Priest Follower - like i really have to say anything, a dragon priest as a follower, that just screams awesome. my onlu complaint with this mod is that you cant really have a unique voice for him, its just the standard vanilla voices, but thats easily overlooked by the fact that hes a bloody dragon priest, aiding you in combat, fighting along side you, how could you possibly go wrong.

Edited by thunderwolf86

I don't have any Top 5, but if I had one, Dovahbear will be on top of it.

You know what? I'll just start a template here.

1. Dovahbear - His presence in the game give me one good reason as of why I won't bother with the main quest. Also, a bear capable of dragon shouts who is essential make a great partner when you need someone to get aggro. That, and I can use two kinds of bottle that affect him somehow: one to summon him from space, the other to transform him into a werebear. Clawsome!

To be edited soon enough... or is it?

I like a whole lot of companion mods, I just don't use them all that often - find them cumbersome and steal my kills. However, I'll list my favorite five that I'd run with, and some honorable mentions for the future.

1. Hoth

2. Cerwiden

3. Atvir Dres

4. FalmerBane's Illia Retexture

5. And, of course, Lydia, Housecarl of Whiterun.

Some honorable mentions and future prospective companions, custom or retextured:

A. Valfar - Likely has the coolest looking armor ever made for a companion, but due to my Imperial leniencies, our friendship is doubtful for now.

B. Vilja - I'm drawn by the popularity of the mod and the character's history, but I'm turned off by the quality of the voice acting, so I've put this off for a while.

C. The Women of Middle Earth - Includes Arwen, Galadriel and Eowyn. I've been in a LOTR mood lately, so this mod's certainly enticing, but fully-voiced NPCs are hard to ignore.

D. Tauriel (The Hobbit) - Same interest as WOME, albeit more of the fact that she's so well designed through the additional efforts of zzjay.

E. Alvihilde - A werewolf huntress. That's badass, gotta see her in action.

F. The New Njada - One of a series of vanilla follower retextures, this one changing a Nord female to a Bosmer with interesting effect.

G. The New Serana - I look forward to running with Serana by default for all her acclaim as a follower, and this mod makes her look even better! Anticipate this one a lot.

Edited by Jaradin

I'll just say Vilja.

As someone who plays stealth character 99.9% of the time I find companions completely useless because they start attacking and ruin my assassination tactics rather than helping out.

Vilja will at least stay out of the way until I'm actually spotted and have to fight anyway. I'm only using her as a companion because she's actually fleshed out as companions should be IMO and she comes with quests and such and can actually be pretty fun. Normal companions tend to just get in the way.

It was the same with Fo3 and NV until I used the Willow mod in NV even though it was impossible it edit the color of her face even with the right files and going back and forth the mod author, the quests and dialog were pretty good.

I imagine there's a ton of people who just never use companions because they're just poorly made just like with Oblivion. In Fo3 and NV, sneaking and being stealthy sucked by default, so having companions made more sense sense sneaking was pointless after firing off one shot.

• 9 months later...

I just really started follower mods and obviously everyone pointed to Vilja and I'm playing with her now. She's great.

I've just barely played around with Hoth, but he seems very well done.

My absolute favorite so far is INIGO. He has incredibly good voice acting (the best, I think), great local awareness, and just has lots of cool things to say. He's still being added to, but he already feel pretty complete.

And I wish that Atvir Dres was complete... Anyone know just how imcomplete he is? I also wish he would notice that I am a Dunmer before he started yelling at me for being racist against Dunmer. I was looking or a cool Dark Elf companion to be my buddy in a land that is kind of against us.