Skyrim Crashes Upon Loading Saved Games

adamb0mber

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. So, I've recently experienced this exact same issue (yeah, I know, another guy who needs help with this problem, am I right?), though I believe my load crash problem to be different.

My Skyrim ran fine up until a few hours ago when my laptop (Asus G750JW with a quad-core mobile Intel i7 @ 3.4GHz, 1TB 5400RPM HDD, and NVidia GTX 765M) experienced a sudden shutdown (it's listed in the Event Viewer as a Critical Kernel-Power issue; it's a common problem reported by many Asus Republic of Gamers laptop users).

Now, I was playing Skyrim when this shutdown occurred. I had quick-saved about five minutes previous and was standing still in the Riften exterior when the computer powered down. So, unfazed, I went through the routine disk cleanup and repair (a shutdown like this had happened once before while playing Skyrim, but there were no issues at all until this second shutdown), etc., etc., and, when I finished that routine checkup, I tried loading my saves...

Immediate CTD, all of them; even another untouched save game from two months ago that I could load fine before the computer shutdown experienced a CTD.

I can create new games with no problem, but I can't seem to load any old saves from before this shutdown.

I haven't edited my Skyrim.ini or SkyrimPrefs.ini for as long as I have had the game, and my saves are between 16-20MB, so I know it isn't save bloating.

I run about 120 mods ranging from animation replacers, body replacers, HDT physics, mesh and texture refiners. I've used the Nexus Mod Manager to install roughly three-quarters of the mods I have, if that information helps anything.

I've run TES5Edit and loaded all the .esm's (the background loader finishes without a hitch); BOSS doesn't detect any issues either, so I'm sure that my game itself is stable (I can create new games no problem, as I've said, and my game doesn't CTD on start); I'm just afraid for the stability of my current saves and any future saves I create.

I fear that it may be my Skyrim folder or mods themselves have corrupted due to the shutdown. My question is, would you lot think it would be safe to make a new game and continue on, even in my computer's post-shutdown state, or would it be better just to perform a clean reinstall? Is it possible for my saves to be salvaged?

Current important files may be corrupted from the shutdown and that might cause problems down the line. That's all I'm afraid for: the stability.

Yes, I've tried everything people have suggested here, to no avail, in case anyone asks.

More importantly, might this (or any similar situation) apply to anyone else here?

Edited by AndresVladem

I have the same problem with saved game crashes. I have been playing skyrim since its first release and have encountered and solved game crashes in the past.

The current problem I have is worst than before. I am using LOOT for mod load order. I have tried uninstalling mods and likewise loading the earliest saved games. It still crashes on loading. I even tried starting NEW game. That too crashes. I also use console and entering "coc qasmoke" while on the main menu. It also crashes eventually.

The latest crash events are strange in a sense that there are a FEW save games that actually load up (actually seeing character and the world) but crashes just a split second later.

About the only solution I can think of right now is to uninstall and reinstall skyrim from scratch which I really hate to do.

Anyone here have a solution that hasn't been mentioned yet would really be a big help. Thank you.

Just tried another method. Completely disabling all mods, including DLCs, via NMM. Started new game and seem to work (Interesting note: While at Helgen as a prisoner, the female guards are still wearing remodelled armors (by ChronoTrigger) with CBBE bodies even if these mods were disabled).

After saving at different stages of the new game, I exited Skyrim, enabled all mods via NMM and started Skyrim again. Loading the most recent saved game (as prisoner at Helgen) didn't work as it CTD ..... again. Disabled ALL mods and and ALL DLCs again and it would still crash even the new saved games as prisoner at Helgen.

I have come to the conclusion that this isn't really about the mods as I have been playing with the same mods for the last few days.

Could this be about .ini settings? I have already tried deleting skyrimprefs.ini as others suggested but still won't work. I have tried starting this game using SKSE loader or the original skyrim launcher or tesv.exe. No difference as it still crashes.

Could this issue be related to how the game precache or not at loading save game?

My game is up to date with latest 1.32 patch and with the correct version of SKSE.

I was playing Skyrim for a few hours last night and even starting and quitting the game a few times in between paperwork and all this without a problem.

Skyrim is a complete mystery, not just about the game's lore, but also about how the game was design.

I think the CTD on load has to do with the size of the save in conjunction with how much it's trying to load at once. NOT CORRUPTION!!!!. Normal saves are about 3k. At level 80 I was at 15k. Bloated saves usually run 40-50k and are a sure sign of a problem. I started a heavily modded game recently and I was at 6k once all the mods loaded and before I left the alternate start prison cell. I suggest making a new save with all the mods you intend to run from inside the abandoned prison (alternate start) Load that first and then the save you are playing on. Doing this has never failed me and it allows me to load very large saves (15k). This is clearly like all the other memory issues and someone needs to create a dll memory patch/saver for loading saves.

It seems that uglykidcid is the most correct here with regards to my particular situation (which I'm sure many others are experiencing).

Skyrim has a 3.1GB RAM allocation limit (if my memory serves me right)... and the game itself also seems abysmal at utilising system RAM and graphics RAM.

That being said, it turned out that my problem was solved by:

1) Removing a few mods that increased the amount of data needed to be loaded on RAM. One particular example would be the Static Mesh Improvement Mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8655/) whose removal greatly reduced the amount of data being loaded onto RAM and VRAM, thus resulting in far less crashes.

2) Turning off NVidia ShadowPlay. I'm no Skyrim expert, but from my observations and experiences it seems that because ShadowPlay utilises the graphics card (and the hard disk) to capture top-notch video, it results in Skyrim being unable to use that graphics memory as it normally would, resulting in more crashes related to memory usage.

3) Enabling VSync. It seems that when VSync is forcibly disabled through SkyrimPrefs.ini or an ENB (I use ENBoost only, no ENB graphics overhauls), the physics in the game is greatly screwed up (most noticeably meshes using HDT physics). This "misalignment" could contribute to Skyrim messing up even more.

The crashes related to the computer suddenly powering down seemed to be purely coincidental. It doesn't seem the save files were corrupted in any way, as uglykidcid mentioned. (worries gone, phew)

tl;dr - kill anything that uses lots of RAM within the Skyrim game itself (texture and mesh mods), and kill anything outside of Skyrim that utilises that greatly-needed VRAM (video capture programs or anything that uses VRAM at all).

Edited by AndresVladem

Was having this problem too. What fixed it for me was after getting everything setup and loaded correctly I closed the program I was using to manage the mods (wyre, nmm, whatever) and then opened the plugin file and moved the unofficial patches (eps files) to below the last esm (boss jumps them to middle of esm load order which can mess things up) and then I added in skyrim.esm as the first item in the load order (I was also not having skyrim.esm show up due to both wyrebash and nmm not putting it into plugin file). Then loading the game with a desktop shortcut to skse (as trying to run with either nmm or wyrebash just resets the changes you make to the plugin file) This has fixed the problem completely for me. Hope it helps.

You are a beautiful man, this fixed it for me. I simply moved the USKP.esp file under the last .esm file. Before that i had to create a new game everytime.

Mother of God. I've lost almost 3 days trying to figure out why my Skyrim would crash on loading any saves but would work doing a new game. You're my hero, seriously, I logged in just to thank you. For some reason, every time I change something at the loading order, a skyrim.esm is created in that file, resulting in multiple instances of that file. Removing all the extra ones, leaving just one there, makes the game work perfectly. Thank you again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know many suggestions have already been posted here, but this is a fix particularly for ENB users.

I had this same problem, I would load up the game, press continue (or load any save) and crash. So, after about 2-3 hours of messing around with mods and SSME and save cleaners and whatnot, I realized that my Skyrim folder looked suspiciously empty. Sure enough, I was missing my main ENB files. I use Project ENB, and the different presets of the ENB are divided into folders in the ZIP file. So, like the dummy I was, I pasted the performance options (I use full settings) and optional effects into the Skyrim folder, but forgot to place the actual ENB files into the folder. For me, I was able to just paste the files from the "main files" folder into my Skyrim folder. However, you may need to do a full uninstall before reinstalling your ENB.

Hope this helps someone!