Skyrim Crashes Upon Loading Saved Games

adamb0mber

Played all last year without this problem. Did a fresh update of ENB and all my mods (about 120) staring from a vanilla profile (using Mod Organizer). First load went without a hitch. Subsequent loads - CTD more than half the time. This year I'm trying Skyrim Realistic Texture Overhaul, which may be increasing the amount of data to load on startup.

What seems to work ATM is hitting shift+F12 to disable the ENB at the menu, load the save, then re-enable the ENB.

The CTDs only occur on loading saves. Once in the game, I run mostly very smoothly (see below) without crashes.

I've found that occasionally, especially after using showracemenu, I'll go from a usual 59fps down to about 10-15. Only thing that seems to fix that is save, exit to desktop and reload. I'm still trying to figure that one out. I may try disabling ENB before doing the racemenu thing and see if it helps.

EDIT: Went into my Users\...\AppData\Local\Skyrim folder - even though I didn't think I had any duplicate listings in the loadorder or plugins.txt files. Surprise!! The only plugins listed were for the base game and DLCs that were dated last May when I first installed the game on this rig. Copied the files from my ModOrganizer profile into this folder and have had no trouble loading saved games. Yes!

Regarding the drop to 10 fps - unloading ENB prior to showracemenu seems to fix it, while not doing so results in a severe framedrop. Still testing that.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've encountered this issue a time or two myself, usually when installing/uninstalling several mods. (I use mostly simple mods and am careful to follow uninstall directions for anything I consider risky (anything with uninstall directions more complex than "delete" or "uninstall with nmm"))

What's the general troubleshooting procedure for crashes that only occur when you try to load a save? I know the standard procedure for ctd's on launch, and have seen guides for exterior-only, interior-only and random ctd's, but nothing for crash on load.

Perhaps you could help me then. I just installed a bunch of mods that are causing my game to crash on launch now.

Rather than listing the mods word-for-word according to my horrible memory, I'll provide some screenshots.

http://i.imgur.com/7i7YwWF.png

I've unchecked all the mods that I recently installed and I decided to show the entire window in case NMM has anything to do with this, which I imagine it would.

Note: I actually have had Corpse Preparation installed for a while, it wasn't causing any issues. I've only unchecked it because I don't use that mod very much.

Edited by XxZomBloxxorxX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a similar issue I believe. I'm not sure at all what is happening, hoping someone could help me troubleshoot. Anyways, I have quite a lot of mods installed using nexus, and I've had most of those mods for month without crashing. I just recently installed several more, and I can create a new save game and play it through all I like no problem. Then, as soon as I save, exit, and try to load the game Skyrim crashes. This happens every time. as soon as I create a game and try to load it again it will crash, even if I'm still sitting in the dungeon (Using LAL) Any help would be most appreciated.

I was having the same issue all of a sudden, then I did few things following some advices found in this thread (after LOOT, TESVEDIT, PAPYRUS DATA TRANSFER GUI and SAVEGAME CLEANER did their job, but not helping solving the issue):

1. opened the Plugins.txt and looked for Skyrim.esm; since there wasn't, I added it on top of the list
  2. uninstalled the last mod I added; in this case, it was "Capes with HDT Physics". Did it even if i played a couple hours with it installed and with no problems.
  3. updated my graphic card drivers.

Once i did the last step, my game loaded perfectly. Dunno if it's related to the drivers or to a bigger issue involving them, i cannot say.

I was having the same issue all of a sudden, then I did few things following some advices found in this thread (after LOOT, TESVEDIT, PAPYRUS DATA TRANSFER GUI and SAVEGAME CLEANER did their job, but not helping solving the issue):

1. opened the Plugins.txt and looked for Skyrim.esm; since there wasn't, I added it on top of the list
  2. uninstalled the last mod I added; in this case, it was "Capes with HDT Physics". Did it even if i played a couple hours with it installed and with no problems.
  3. updated my graphic card drivers.

Once i did the last step, my game loaded perfectly. Dunno if it's related to the drivers or to a bigger issue involving them, i cannot say.

UPDATE: i was able to load a cleaned save previous to the CTD issue, but every save i made AFTER caused a CTD. I removed the Skyrim.esm from my Plugins.txt (since it wasn't there since i put it there and the game worked correctly since the issue came by in the first place) and now it seems to be working correctly again.

I had a problem where my save would randomly crash right after launching the game. It might take a few tries but if I kept restarting the game and reloading the save it would eventually work.

What I found that works for me is that every time I start the game I open the console and type coc qasmoke. I then load my save from there and it has worked every time.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting the same issues, I was playing FLAWLESSLY yesterday. Now all of a sudden I go to load my save, and CTD. No matter what save I select it just keeps crashing to desktop.

I can't even play Skyrim, because this just eventually happens, my saved games are only a few hours old.

• 2 weeks later...

I was have this problem too, and when i was trying to load saves it was saying there stuff in the save that was no longer available, which i thought was ood since i didnt remember getting rid of anything that would cause that message, but i had been messin with stuff so i thought i may done something and just not remembered it. Then i remembered the last time i downloaded something recently NMM updated, so really not expecting anything i opened it up hit the plugin tab and low and behold none of the plugin were active