Message to Whiterun (Imperial) bug

rhapsodios

Also have this problem.

Have tried using setstage CW03 210 and setstage CWSiegeObj 9000 to finish both quests and going straight onto reunification of Skyrim, but then I am unable to report in to General Tullius.

Anyone else had better luck with getting around this bug?

Edited by HarkrenMaine

• 1 month later...

I see no way to fix this issue. I have tried absolutely everything I can think of. I even loaded a save before I had even started the civil war and still encountered the bug of not being able to progress at some point. Whether it was Legate Cipius or General Tullius, it eventually happened.

• 4 weeks later...

Exactly the same problem here. Now, I distinctly remember doing the civil war quest on the imperial side before; several times in fact. The only thing I installed (and to my knowledge successfully uninstalled) that even touches the civil war was the Civil War Overhaul (found here: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37216/? ). Now, I'm not looking for a culprit, but rather for a fix, and if this mod changes something that affects the questline, knowing that will help fix it. I'd greatly appreciate any input in that regard, even if it's just to tell me I'm barking up the completely wrong tree. Thanks!

Edited by Nidhoegger

• 5 months later...

im just gonna be plain with ya folks, IM PISSED that there seems to be know way to fix this bug, i have tried Reloading,Restarting game, Restarting computer, Killing the legate (got a little carried away), Resetting the AI of legate cipius, Leaving and reentering, Continuing other quests and returning, Killing myself, Disabling all mods, enabling all patch mods, Distillation, Installation of backup,Entering whiterun by "normal means", hitting all dialog checkpoints (not skipping any dialog early),AND I EVEN BOUGHT A NEW COMPUTER! By the way don't bother using counsel commands because the one for the battle for whiterun doesn't work and the one after that screws everything up and there is basically no fighting left, and the fighting that is left is just through random patrols you find wondering about. i have spent hours researching this topic and have found nothing but people like us begging for some genius to come along and make some sort of patch or something but that obviously is to hard for the modding community to do or maybe there just to preoccupied making skimpy armor mods and unlorefriendly house mods! Listen up Bethesda, its time you start to listen to the gamers.

• 4 weeks later...

I found a fix for it, or maybe it's mere coincidence. So I had the same problem as you guys so I tried to mess around with the CWO in the Mod config menu. It started the quest "Battle for Whiterun" after I went under the option of "Force Start Siege here" and chose Whiterun. (I also tried to automatically win the war, I toggled it on then exit the menu, toggled it back off and THEN force started the siege) I hope this helps!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I just solved this. The problem is, it's not technically a bug, though it looks and quacks like one. Has everyone looked at their bounties in general stats in the menu? I got suspicious when i realized all whiterun guards said the exact same phrase that cipius did. So, I checked. Sure enough, there was a bounty on me in whiterun for 125. Apparently, that's enough to make the guards (and consequently Cipius) suspicious, but not enough to trigger an arrest attempt. So, through the magic of the console, I did this.

player.setcrimegold 0 000267EA

0 = amount of bounty.

000267EA = area code for whiterun.

Sure enough, the moment I hit enter I turned around to legate cipius and hit e and boom, message to whiterun complete and it was off to the walls to repel the stormcloaks.

This is probably why Bethesda hasn't "fixed" the bug, because to their system it probably doesn't actually appear to be a bug. Anyway, as I'm only one person I can't confirm 100% this is the fix, so try it out and let me know, folks!

Edited by kleinnak

• 1 month later...

For me, this bug was caused by having the mod 'Civil War Overhaul' installed but not active. Uninstalling it fixed it.

I installed the mod during the life of this character, but I don't think it was ever active when I played her, because I meant to use it with another character. I also have all the expansions and the unofficial patches and lots of other mods installed. I have already completed the main quest.

As with everyone else, I gave Balgruuf back his axe and Cipius didn't respond to my attempts to report to him. I tried lots of messing with the quest via the console, some waiting and some other things, including a replay from earlier in the questline and kleinnak's bounty fix. However, uninstalling CWO in Nexus Mod Manager fixed it for me and I was able to continue with my original saves.

• 2 weeks later...

So im having this problem as well and ive tried everything, everything! tried all the console commands, tried unistalling CWO and then installing it again, tried waiting, restarting the game, restarting the quest with all the unofficial patches, deleting the CWO.esp and so on manually. So on a scale from 1 - f**k me, how boned am i? is there no way to force him to talk to you?

• 1 month later...

I found a fix for it, or maybe it's mere coincidence. So I had the same problem as you guys so I tried to mess around with the CWO in the Mod config menu. It started the quest "Battle for Whiterun" after I went under the option of "Force Start Siege here" and chose Whiterun. (I also tried to automatically win the war, I toggled it on then exit the menu, toggled it back off and THEN force started the siege) I hope this helps!

TO ALL POOR SOULS, THIS SHOULD WORK, THANK GODS FOR THIS MAN OF COINCIDENCE :smile: just fixed it for me!

I take back my statement, i got overly excited, doin this sure started the battle, but at all times the enemies were at 100% left, and their general died, boom war over, but no speech from the jarl, and my quest was actually still stuck at the f*#@ing idiot prefect. sorry for getting your hopes up

Edited by Candylicious1337