Watch out for ransomware (nexus.exe)

DeathInSpace

Hey guys, just started using the site today and was loving downloading a boatload of new mods... Unfortunately doing a manual download of the "killing children" mod I actually ended up downloading a nasty virus that completely disabled my computer with a fake message from the FBI saying I had pirated software and to pay them some money. After several hours of trying to get around it I finally had to completely format my hard drive using Ultimate Boot CD. Didn't lose too much, it's my gaming PC, and it was completely my fault (forgot I had antivirus disabled). Just want to spread the word and watch out for the NEXUS.exe because it's a beast!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is a known issue that is supposed to have been fixed (but apparently not).

See the news article here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/news/299/

It would be helpful if you could tell us which of the file servers you used to download the file.

Good thing i found this topic, when i downloaded a mod came from san jose server, i didnt know that nexus.exe is a virus then i downloded it, my whole computer got trojaned! Right now im panicking what will happen to my files, will that virus infect my fallout and skyrim files? Please i hope this wont infect my save games. Edited by jarence chan

Good thing i found this topic, when i downloaded a mod came from san jose server, i didnt know that nexus.exe is a virus then i downloded it, my whole computer got trojaned! Right now im panicking what will happen to my files, will that virus infect my fallout and skyrim files? Please i hope this wont infect my save games.

hopefully you have more luck then me i had to reformat and lose everything.

what will happen if i shutdown my cpu and start it again, will the fake fbi show up? I just hope it wont! Cuz right now im using my avg to scan my whole cpu and remove that trojan