Skyrim Start Screen - Boxes/Squares Instead of Menu Options

bluemarvin

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone, I hope this problem was already solved for all who needed it. Of course a new install in a separate directory will fix this issue. The box instead of letters error is caused by a font change in the "interface" folder in the "data" folder. The best way to go is just to erase any file in there that starts with"font" like "fontconsole" or fontru" and fonteu" Fontconsole controls the font in the command console by the way. The others pertain to the font used in game.

As an extra note, any HUD letters or graphics is controlled by the "interface" folder. Any errors reported in the game when accessing a menu is referring to this. You can also simply remove the entire folder. Backing up files and folders is recommended. At times I have anywhere from 2-3 separate Skyrim installs. If you do this, don't use the launcher as it will always use the files from your main install, just click on the skse_loader.exe or the TESV.exe directly. Also remember that in doing this you will have to change your Mod manager Skyrim path..

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Bit of info for people who have problems but no help from the solutions offered thus far!

Quick version: I was doing many things and manually edited my skyrim/skyrimprefs.ini while Mod Organizer was open. Never closed Mod Organizer so this summoned the white boxes when I loaded the game to test later.

Solution: Close MO if you change these files and then reopen MO, now launch the game. Worked for me the moment I did this! Oh, don't forget editing those ini can be done via MO. I did forget...

Long version: I had MO (Mod Organizer) open but edited my skyrim/skyrimprefs.ini manually. That is, not using the feature from within MO to edit them. I was thinking of/doing many things for my fresh install and it just slipped my mind to do it via MO. So of course later on when I start Skyrim via MO (using SKSE) I reach the Main Menu and I see lovely white boxes. While browsing this thread it struck me that i made changes to the ini and should try closing/reopening MO. It worked! Strangely, what made me remember was something mentioned in this thread which made me think of the changes I made. It was about the interface folder containing files and what to do with them. It made me think of the interface section of the skyrim.ini and how i added things to that section, among a couple other sections, then it hit me! i did not close MO! It was not aware of the changes! Hopefully my folly will be help to someone!

Edited by Ayroqi

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Nobody uses Nexus and has this problem, too?

I deleted my Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini and then changed my screen resollution (not sure if relevant to fixing) and it solved the issue for me. The above suggestions did not help me, although I did have a lot of mods unchecked in the skyrim mod list, but that didn't fix it.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...