Music won't play -or- only plays Dragon combat music

Styger

Hey there

Recently I encountered the same issue described by all of you people here (no music or only combat music etc.) and obviously I was relieved as I found this thread full of solutions.

Sadly none of the described methods fixed this bug for me.

The only console command that worked for a short time was removemusic xxx.

Specifically removemusic MUSCombatCivilWar seemed to fix the issue. The combat music would slowly tune out and the normal ambient sounds returned.

I cheered, until it went back to buggy. As soon I encountered the next fight, no matter if dragon, bandit or angry guard, the combat music wouldn't stop again.

Same issue appears with and without my mods. Only my main save-file is afflicted with this.

I used Civil war Overhaul (currently inactive due to its bugginess) and Warzones to alter things affiliated with the Skyrim civil war.

I believe it first occured around the second city-siege of the Civil War Overhaul Questline, though I realised the bug too late and overwrote all my saves from before.

Can someone think of any more reasons for this bug to keep occuring? Anything?

Good day and thanks for your time

Star4ce

Edited by Star4ce

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: Ending the civil war and then use the removemusic command apparently solves it now.

Just letting you know

Star4ce

I seem to be suffering from this bug as well. I am also using Civil War Overhaul. Thanks for letting us know what worked for you.

Edited by AaronEh

Hi, had the exact same problem and I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that this happens due to a corrupted save and there is no fix (to my knowing) besides loading a previous save. The good news is that I have found the exact mod and moment when this happens. It's the mod Fight against Thalmor IV - Dragonmourn Inn and it happens somewhere half-through the mine.

Pretty sure this was the culprit. Removed that mod for other reasons, music stopped. Of course this was a long time ago now, so I am unsure.

• 4 months later...

Hy everyone,

I don't know if someone is still around searching for an answer... anyway. I managed to fix the problem !

i had the same problem on one of my 2 characters...one has the musics and not the other...strange.
By reading some comments here i've been able to fix the problem (almost all solutions given here were not working for me though). Now i can load and reload my game even after restarting the game properly and i have the music playing....sooooo good to hear those again, it's been a while.

Concerning my mod list : I installed "sound propagation overhaul" (but apparently it's not the culprit) and "Fight against the thalmor IV" (all episodes) at the same time, so it was hard to guess which one was messing around...i made a playthought with this exact same character who doesn't have music now ...i think that's why i still have the music on the character who never done those Thalmor quests. I had to uninstall those Thalmor mods a long time ago...good mods but really unstable (CDTs)...i'm still playing with "sound propagation overhaul".

what to do (at least what i did) : IMPORTANT do not use any quotes " " while doing console commands

> go into a town (i was inside Solitude next to the exit / entrance)

> save the game (to help you see better in your save list make a named save using console command...example : "save test_01")

> use Alt-tab to go on your desktop

> go back to the game to hear the lovely "dragon attack" music

> use command : "removemusic MUSCombatBoss" ...the dragon attack music will stop and will be replaced by town music

> now go to another town...in my case i used a teleport spell from this mod : http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/14947/?

i don't know if Fast travel is working but i used a custom "recall" spell to go in my player house in Falskaar (i don't know if it's because it's out from skyrim or because this mod has its own soundtrack but it worked)

> make a new named savegame using console (example : "save test_02")

> now try to load this last savegame... the town music should still play

So now it should work everywhere even if you're reloading this savegame, doing Alt-tab or even restarting the game (this last savegame MUST be your new starting save now because the trick has been done on it)

I still don't know if this trick is long term, i still have to play a little more and see what will happend when i meet a dragon (if the dragon attack music will play properly and stop after)

Leave some feedback if it's working for you just to know :smile:

EDIT : Yep...it's working even after a dragon fight, custom mods with other musics, loading, reloading...etc

Edited by psychosteve

Hy everyone,

I don't know if someone is still around searching for an answer... anyway. I managed to fix the problem !

........................................................................................................................................................................

Leave some feedback if it's working for you just to know :smile:

EDIT : Yep...it's working even after a dragon fight, custom mods with other musics, loading, reloading...etc

Man you're my savior and my hero!!!!
Still testing but seems it works perfect! Thank you very much for instruction!
I've lost all music since i installed broken Fantasy Soundtrack Project archive. It was NMM installation but there was no any prompts, mod successfully installed. When i realized that i can hear all city sounds, steps and so on but no more music, i tryed to open .zip manually but it was unfinished( NMM service fault no doubt.
Listening vanilla music again it's great, i recall when i only start to play skyrim, i very often just stoped the game and enjoing the landscapes with these music...
So thank's a lot for your help! :thumbsup:

My pleasure ;)

So many mods could have made this problem... actually i have 250 mods installed and some of them are sound mods

someone on this forum pinpoint the culprit mod as "Fight for the Thalmor"...which was really unexpected even if this series of mods was full of bugs and CTDs (i was suspecting a sound mod like "Sound propagation overhaull" first) and someone else gave the console command i was looking for ages on skyrim wiki to activate / deactivate a sound...i knew it was the solution but i didn't have the right key to do it...so thanks to them too.

I don't know if my method has to be followed exactly like this (it worked for me in that specific case) maybe you can manage to deal with the problem with a variant (like doing the trick by just making new saves in the same town)

Enjoy your game with music now !

"... i have 250 mods..."

The limit for mods runing through the launcher is 256 i guess and then only .bsl fies and ini tweak, thats right?

"..."Fight for the Thalmor"... "Sound propagation overhaull"...to deal with the problem with a variant..."

I stopped play this serie Fight against the Thalmor on 2d part, i can't even get into quest area, CTD. So a lot of reasons may caused this,

your method helped me, think if you can can hear buttle music after Alt+Tab, you have a big chance to solve this problem.

Well.. thank you again psychosteve! :thumbsup:

The mod limit with NMM is 255...in fact i can only go to 254 and NMM reject the last one... but apparently you can trick the software by merging some ESP together with TESVedit (like grouping few ESP together in only 1 ESP...so NMM will get it as only 1...like a zip file)...you can find some tutorial around how to merge ESP files.

MadFrenchie never updated his series of Thalmor mods...there are many dirty edits and a lot of bugs in all episodes. The fisrt one was the cleanest...but i had several CTDs with the 2nd one when entering certain specific areas...then the 4th is causing the "music stop" bug we all had here (someone reported the bug when enterring the mine...at a certain point)

Edited by psychosteve