Music won't play -or- only plays Dragon combat music

Styger

Hy everyone,

EDIT : Yep...it's working even after a dragon fight, custom mods with other musics, loading, reloading...etc

Does this Physically remove the music file? Or does it just stop it from playing at that time?

the only sound mods im running is the Sounds of Skyrim series

Edit: Nevermind, i had a mod active that adds in Dwemer Radios, i had one in my inventory and set to Tune in (which doesnt work) which disabled the ingame music and any custom music i replaced

Edited by brsingr11

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it doesn't remove any music...the command just stop the music from playing. By doing the trick explained above you'll be able to remove the "dragon attack" music which triggers in unapropriate case (Alt-tab)... then after following how to fix the problem (still above) you will be able to play normally (music will trigger normally, even dragon attack music)

• 4 weeks later...

I also can confirm that the loss of all music comes from SOUTH DRAGON BRIDGE - Fight Against the thalmor IV. Has anyone found another solution to the loss of all in-game music after going through the mine and returning to South Bridge? It was great fun playing this mod, but I have no music at all in my game after playing this now. :( I've tried Psychosteve's fix to his own music problem (see above), but it does not work in my game since I don't have any music playing at all. TIA.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Psychosteve you're the man! Turns out the fix is much simpler...

1. Crtl-Alt-Del

2. Click "Cancel"

3. "Removemusic MUSCombatBoss"

Done. No need to be in or near a city, atl-tab, save, teleport, fast travel, ect. Plus you don't have to put up with that wacky double cursor bug from alt-tabbing.

• 1 month later...

I actually just had the same problem, and I figured out what it was for me. I had a mod called Skyrim and Skyrim ini files. I originally got the mod to help with the infinite load screen, and crashing to desktop issue, along with Safety Load. It worked great for several months then all of a sudden my music on my main profile stopped working. I looked it up and figured out it had something to do with my ini files, so i thought if the Skyrim and Skyrim ini changed the ini files then disabling it would reset the ini to default. Uninstalling the Skyrim and Skyrim ini fixed the issue, so you might want to try installing it to see if that helps, and if not just uninstall it and restart the game to see if that worked like i did for me.

Hi, had the exact same problem and I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that this happens due to a corrupted save and there is no fix (to my knowing) besides loading a previous save. The good news is that I have found the exact mod and moment when this happens. It's the mod Fight against Thalmor IV - Dragonmourn Inn and it happens somewhere half-through the mine.

Pretty sure this was the culprit. Removed that mod for other reasons, music stopped. Of course this was a long time ago now, so I am unsure.

I can confirm - this happened to me as well. The dragon fight music startedplaying randomly in between two parts of the dungeon, and then when I alt+tabbed.

• 2 years later...

My own experience was somewhat similar - I needed the background music to stop for a bit but still wanted discovery music and dragon-soul music and all that (long story involving a relative on the phone, I'll spare you), so I used the console command "addmusic 1ba72" (which is "no background music"). Worked fine. Unfortunately, then it never starts again. And I mean never. Getting it to come back on required "remove music 1ba72" followed by "addmusic 10486c" (which is the really cool dragonborn exploration music that is scripted to play only once in the main quest), then popping back and forth between two zones with different music (in my case, in and out the front door of Castle Volkihar) and using the "tab up-arrow to skills screen and back" repeatedly as I popped into each zone on each side of the door until the game finally restarted the music. Then I sat and let it play (it's an elegant and rather dramatic little tune called "Unbroken Road", totally worth listening to), and the problem was fixed.

My guess is what's happening is for whatever reason (be it a mod or a console command or whatever), the "music player" subroutine of the program crashes or hangs, leaving you with no music or one tune that just never stops playing, and you basically have to get it to restart by forcing the program to reload the process-thread for it's little music-player over and over until it succeeds. What leads me to this conclusion is that reloading an earlier save where the music is right also fixes the issue of no music/music won't stop. As the savegames also contain the state and variables of all active scripts and sub-processes, when the music player botches, you're saving it as botched.

Edited by Xaa1962

• 1 month later...

Hy everyone,

I don't know if someone is still around searching for an answer... anyway. I managed to fix the problem !

i had the same problem on one of my 2 characters...one has the musics and not the other...strange.

By reading some comments here i've been able to fix the problem (almost all solutions given here were not working for me though). Now i can load and reload my game even after restarting the game properly and i have the music playing....sooooo good to hear those again, it's been a while.

Concerning my mod list : I installed "sound propagation overhaul" (but apparently it's not the culprit) and "Fight against the thalmor IV" (all episodes) at the same time, so it was hard to guess which one was messing around...i made a playthought with this exact same character who doesn't have music now ...i think that's why i still have the music on the character who never done those Thalmor quests. I had to uninstall those Thalmor mods a long time ago...good mods but really unstable (CDTs)...i'm still playing with "sound propagation overhaul".

what to do (at least what i did) : IMPORTANT do not use any quotes " " while doing console commands

> go into a town (i was inside Solitude next to the exit / entrance)

> save the game (to help you see better in your save list make a named save using console command...example : "save test_01")

> use Alt-tab to go on your desktop

> go back to the game to hear the lovely "dragon attack" music

> use command : "removemusic MUSCombatBoss" ...the dragon attack music will stop and will be replaced by town music

> now go to another town...in my case i used a teleport spell from this mod : http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/14947/?

i don't know if Fast travel is working but i used a custom "recall" spell to go in my player house in Falskaar (i don't know if it's because it's out from skyrim or because this mod has its own soundtrack but it worked)

> make a new named savegame using console (example : "save test_02")

> now try to load this last savegame... the town music should still play

So now it should work everywhere even if you're reloading this savegame, doing Alt-tab or even restarting the game (this last savegame MUST be your new starting save now because the trick has been done on it)

I still don't know if this trick is long term, i still have to play a little more and see what will happend when i meet a dragon (if the dragon attack music will play properly and stop after)

Leave some feedback if it's working for you just to know :smile:

EDIT : Yep...it's working even after a dragon fight, custom mods with other musics, loading, reloading...etc

HAIL TO PYSCHOSTEVE, THE HERO OF THIS POST!

• 6 months later...

I fixed this problem by moving my Skyrim files with Steammover, it has something todo with certain files getting jumbled in directories

I moved it to from the F: drive to the D: drive and fixed it

place your files onto a Main drive some games don't like being on External drives

if steammover doesn't work just reinstall thz game on your harddrive

so place it on your C / and you'll fix it worth a try i suppose ain't it :p