The Dwemer and the Dragons

foxhoman

So as you may have guessed, Skyrim is the first TES game I've owned. I fooled around in Oblivion years ago with my cousin, but it was his game. And I just came out of the Dwemer ruin where you have to find the Cynod, and I've noticed there are absolutely no draconic.. well, anything. No word walls (that I'm aware of) no tombs, nothing. And I know the Dwemer pre-date the elves (Septimus says something about the Dwemer evolving or something into the modern elves I think, and tells you to go collect their blood to open his box) And I know that they enslaved the Snow Elves and blinded them in exchange for providing shelter from the Nords, but that' about it. So I'm just wondering if the Dwemer pre-date the Dragon Cult too?

Like I said, I've never found anything relating to the Dragon Cult in Dwemer ruins, and from what I understand, the Dragons ruled pretty much since their creation, until they were overthrown. So are they older then the dragons themselves, and went extinct before the dragons came about? Or was their magic/engineering capabilities so advanced they managed to avoid the whole event before going extinct?

Just trying to learn more about the game,

-FoxHoman.

The Dwemer disappeared sometime in the First Era, so they definitely outlived the Dragon Cultists. As for their origins, no one knows. One theory is that they were a splinter group of the Aldmer (the "First Elves" from the Summerset Isles, and the alleged direct ancestors of the Altmer) while Imperial scholars suggest that the Dwemer were a second race of Elves from another, likely northern or northwestern, continent.

As for when they arrived in Tamriel, no one's certain, but it's assumed to have been before the start of the First Era. Also, the assumption that they arrived in Tamriel sooner than all other races isn't entirely valid, as the Dwemer might have gained their advanced alchemy before migrating to the continent. My presumption is that the Dwemer, if they did arrive in Tamriel during the reign of the Dragons, likely settled in Morrowind and took to the underground to avoid having to challenge them. The ruins in Skyrim that we explore were likely built after the fall of the Dragon Cults. However, it's also just as likely that the Dwemer were here before the arrival of the Nedic men or even arrived at the same time, which could have led to a struggle between the two races to gain control of territory, all the while having to deal with the might of Dragons. Nedic men did not have the power to resist their Dragon overlords, whereas the Dwemer likely had enough power to hide away in their cities and prevent the Dragons and their Nedic slaves to invade them.

Then again, this is all purely speculation, less someone has valid evidence from the lore. But it's a valid question, certainly.

Yes, I suppose there isn't much you learn about the Dwemer in Skyrim. I'm using my mage actually (and his library in Lakeview Manor) to try to make a collection of books on the Dwemer. If I find anything I'll let you know ;)

Yes, I sold him a dwarven shield. I don't think there was a chat option to ask about the dwemer but I'll check again.

EDIT: Yes, he doesn't tell you anything you don't already know. Incredibly smart, vast underground cities, extinct.

Also, maybe the Dwemer suddenly just poofed off the face of the land because they unlocked the power of the gods, and transcended? :geek: According to Calcelmo that's supposedly what they were looking for.

Edited by foxhoman

Yes, I sold him a dwarven shield. I don't think there was a chat option to ask about the dwemer but I'll check again.

EDIT: Yes, he doesn't tell you anything you don't already know. Incredibly smart, vast underground cities, extinct.

Also, maybe the Dwemer suddenly just poofed off the face of the land because they unlocked the power of the gods, and transcended? :geek: According to Calcelmo that's supposedly what they were looking for.

The Dwemer "transcended" at the end of their war with the Chimer in Morrowind. When the Five Houses cornered the Sixth House and the Dwemer at Red Mountain, the leader of the Dwemer attempted to use the Heart of Lorkhan as a weapon against the Chimer armies, but for whatever reason it backfired, and the entire race of Dwemer disappeared from the world.

That event played a major part in the back story of TES III, because the four leaders of the Chimer found the Heart of Lorkhan, leading to three betraying the fourth (Nerevar) and using the Heart to become gods (The Tribunal).

Perhaps when I have the money I'll try to find the rest of the Elder Scrolls games. And yes, I know about Calcelmo's books. I raided the museum behind is back. :devil: