BLOG PIECE: supporting modding in totality

Dark0ne

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it's going to be cool & The sites have been a bit slow especially at the weekends as i kept getting the good ol' Nginx Bad gateway 501 errors they were starting to drive me a bit daft seeing as i have been a premium member for a few months now and will be for some time yet! So the speed upgrade is very welcome indeed! Nice work!!

Robin, this is an excellent plan for the site and for modding in general. It's exciting.

I hope part of the plan will be about increasing your content moderation staff. I imagine that you're already spread a bit thin there (for example given that id 34322 is still available). Depending on how and to what corners of the net word spreads, you could have content issues sooner or later, possibly big bandwidth-impinging ones. (I'm thinking back on several years' worth of archive.org's user-placed content as an example.)

You might want to PM me about the ID34322 as I am unsure to what you are referring.

This sounds awesome, I can't wait, but... the full comment moderation on mods is somewhat troubling. I rely on comments to see if there's anything wrong with the mod-- if I see a bunch of glowing comments on the first few pages, I can reasonably trust that the mod is stable and doesn't cause any issues. If you allow full comment moderation, then, some mod authors (generally the ones you wouldn't want to be downloading from) could delete any negative comments they receive, right? That just seems like it could open the door for problems for downloaders.

Not to mention I don't think it would save you guys any trouble. You'd have people reporting the mod author trying to contest that their comment was deleted unfairly.

Personally, i don't like the idea.

I like the nexus sites cause of it's specific purpose to be ( for the bigger part at least ) a web community for "bethesda game's mods" ( if we shall put it simple ); and that is at what this community does a swell job. It should be an example to all other web communities how to run something.

While expanding it, will cause more trouble and confusion than it will bring good.

Personally, I like more specific approaches rather then one for all things, cause in my opinion there is a difference of quality in the long run.

But that doesn't mean I don't wish you luck with this, and hope for you that this idea and any other you'll have in the future, will work, and work good.

Just my two cents as a nexus and mod user veteran.

I think this would be a very nice development, as I now know and mostly trust the Nexus. To have the potential for modding other games I play in a centralized area would be incredibly convenient.

I do have trepidations about this. The influx of new games might bring large amounts of attempted plagiarism. To use an example I know well, with the recent addition of the Workshop to Left 4 Dead 2, there have been many users trying to put mods that they got from modding sites up as their own work, or without going through the "due process" of asking the mods' original authors.

I would like to know if you have a plan for upholding the same standard of integrity on these intended new mod divisions as you do with your main sites.