Time for ideas on TES VI

daventry

The MQ is the glue that should be holding all the other things together. I didn't think it was too short, Skyrim just seems to have problems with pacing. ( I.E. How you can be welcomed into the elite circle of the Companions after 2 missions.)

I just reconsidered the MQ after I read what you wrote and I guess you are right. I am always left with a "that's it?" feeling after defeating Alduin, but if I try to put my finger on it, this isn't caused by the MQ being too short but because the final battle feels somewhat anticlimactic to me (if compared to all the other quests that lead to this point).

I agree with you on the guild-quests too. While I am totally biased on the topic, I like the way the Thieves Guild handles the players progress in guild-hierarchy best. You have to do a fair amount of jobs for them to proof your skill, which lead to some more important ones that get you in touch with outside contacts and reestablish the Guild in Skyrim. In the end, you become Guildmaster because you earned the Guild's respect through your thievery - but mainly because Brynjolf doesn't want the job, since he rather runs the place from his position as Second in Command. It's the only guild I felt remotely comfortable about accepting the title. Admittedly the progress within the DB isn't that different, but as I said, I am biased.

Otoh, the quest and hierarchy progression both in the College and the Companions felt somewhat arbitrary and I never really felt too much inclined to do their radiant quests either. It's nice that you are told that doing enchanting-legwork for the College will earn the College money and respect, but I never noticed any development.

I agree with you're inference that the final battle was anti-climactic...but I have a feeling that had more to do with the dragons being FAR too easy and repetitive rather than the setting being anti-climactic. I mean....it's Sovngarde...and you're battling a GOD of the Apocalypse alongside the Heroes of Legend. I mean...the dungeon up to Sovngarde kicked my butt. It was almost 100% Draugr Death Overlords.

I kinda wish that Alduin had a larger force with him that the other heroes of legend would come out of Sovngarde to fight off though. Fighting alongside King Olaf and Jurgen Windcaller....and even Ulfric & Torygg would have been awesome.

Faction wise, for the Companions I wish they had forced a few more radiant miniquests in between the major quests to make it feel a bit longer and what not. Just some bounties or kidnappings or killing Silver Hand members; maybe even made you do a few random dungeons for the guild, you know...like the ones that have kind of a story but not really.

Currently I'm doing my first full mage playthrough (I usually do a rogue/mage combo)...I find that if I focus my character into doing the missions that involve unravelling magical mystery or delving into dwemer tech alongside the college quests, that it ends up pacing rather well. I also find it helps to make sure I always "fund my expedition" before I go on a "research trip". So I usually do some odd jobs and gather gold, then ensure I have the right amount of potions, the proper gear, and a well equipped guard BEFORE I head out.

I did the Thieves Guild on my very FIRST play through and I thought it was paced really well. I just wish I had been doing more random missions in between instead of just going main to main because filling out that shelf of trophies was.....a challenge.

Edited by TheLoreSeeker

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to see some choices for a freaking change. But Bethesda have NEVER done that. I'm not sure they know how. Their problem is that they know how to design games. They don't know how to write stories. Stories are all about people getting chances to change how things work continuously and somehow overlooking it. Elder Scrolls is all about how people never get any chances to change anything. It's like the complete opposite of what an RPG should be.

They're good at giving us the illusion of freedom, but where in any quest do you see freedom? What is the point of doing a quest if it's no different from riding a roller coaster. If I wanted to ride a roller coaster, I would go to a theme park and just ride a real roller coaster.

Here's an idea: One quest. Just give one quest with the ability to have, say, eight or nine different ways we can do it. That would be nice. All the other quests they can leave as a cheap substitute for a roller coaster.

1.) More Immersion.

Need to Eat, Sleep, Drink, Rest, Keep Warm, Heal Wounds with bandages and poultices, treat diseases, etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no point in having food and a cooking component in a game that doesn't require you to eat. There is no point in having beds or bedrolls in a game that doesn't require you to sleep.

2.) Realism in combat.

Weapons that hit in arcs, that rebound from contact, that leave disabling and bleeding wounds.

Spells that affect people instead of just being different forms of drain.

Being hit by a greataxe wouldn't merely take a bit of my life bar off....it would give me a grievous wound from which I would probably not recover. My vision should blur and it would probably disable a limb. Being hit by a fireball would set me ablaze and make me want to put out the fire before continuing fighting.

3.) Better NPC AI

People that flee to a safe spot while under attack, try to dodge magic damage, etc.

Too many guard have died because a dragon breath attack happened and they just stood there and took it. SEEK COVER!!! Chest high walls dammit!!!

4.) If you're going to have BIG Boss Class enemies....make them a challenge.

Not necessarily a damage sponge because they have stupid high HP, but just well armored or combat maneuverable...and deadly.

5.) If you're going to establish companions again.....make them smarter...and more interesting.

AND PLEASE make it possible to bury them/return them to the Hall of the Dead. Leaving a companions body out in the wilderness is VERY immersion breaking. I wouldn't just leave a loyal friend's corpse to the wolves and crows.

Edited by TheLoreSeeker

truthfully....although there are many things about Skyrim that bug me....the first point I made about Immersion is the only one I really find NECESSARY. I was super hoping for a New Vegas style "Hardcore" mode.

Now thats what im talking about :biggrin:

Please realize that our earlier conversation was commentary on your first post...and how some of those ideas seemed a bit "excessive".

Hence each Member can put His/Her Better Ideas then what im talking about :biggrin:

Edited by daventry