R&D Tactical bug hunts (suppression and alien skipping turn)

johnnylump

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would note that there would probably still be a (rare) possibility of a freeze, even if aliens have unlimited ammo -- they need to take a reload action when their weapon has been disabled by the sniper perk.

Oh... wait... this wouldn't be good.

Weapons with eWP_UnlimitedAmmo are immune to the ability Disabling Shot

So if anyone makes aliens have unlimited ammo you'd need to remove that perk from the tree.

With the new ammo adjustment modlet, you can set the alien weapons to have very high but not unlimited ammo (like 10 shots) which should minimize the impact of "reload freezing" but still allow the Disabling Shot perk to work as intended.

After disabling the alien may freeze instead of reloading, though ~_~

I found another apparent bug in the game.

I've been testing new mods with the developer console on, using the \AIDebugAI command so that I can see where the aliens are, which also allows me to see where they are moving when they move on their turn.

I've observed a unit "patrol teleporting" from one side of a smallish map to the other side, when my troops were in the middle.

I've dug into the cause of this, which appears to be in the function:

XComAlienPathHandler.InitTrippedPatrol

There it defines how much movement a patrol gets per turn, which turns out to be a staggeringly large amount:

m_fPathingDistancePerTurn = 45.0;

This is measured in the same movement units that the characters are defined with in the DGC.ini. Standard movement is 12 for a Soldier or a Sectoid, so this patrol move allows almost 4x that amount.

The following hex change to XComGame.upk will reduce the patrol distance per turn from 45 to 20

original:
m_fPathingDistancePerTurn = 45.0;
0F 01 7a 2F 00 00 1E 00 00 34 42 

new:
m_fPathingDistancePerTurn = 20.0;
0F 01 7a 2F 00 00 1E 00 00 A0 41 

Regarding the aliens being immune to explosives while they are suppressing a target.

This is not the only way in which aliens can become immune to explosives. While testing out some new rocket launcher code, I came across sectoid that somehow moved to a position after reveal in which it was completely immune to both Rockets and Frag Grenades. I had used the developer console to give the rocket user 20 rocket charges (it's a test, really!), and it was definitely impossible to catch this sectoid in the explosion.

I passed to the next turn and the Sectoid moved to another spot on the map, but it was still immune to explosives the following turn.

• 1 month later...

SUPPRESSION BUG #2 -- POSSIBLY PARTIALLY FIXED BY DEVS An X-Com trooper is suppressing an alien. Another trooper kills that alien. The suppressing X-Com troopers suddenly gets sort of unglued from the terrain and is no longer able to take cover, effectively removing the trooper from the mission.

This was partially fixed? Because it happens to me on something like 80% of missions, and it's so incredibly annoying! I usually run with two heavies for suppression, but a good deal of the time they won't be able to take cover at all. I have the latest patch (playing with Steam), and am running Warspace Extension if that's anything to do with it.

Hmm, I've had "Suppression Bug #2" happen once now I read about it here. Well, the same symptom, the solider was unable to take cover for the rest of the map. Even next to cover he would stand animated as though he were out in the open. He also couldn't Hunker Down. But I use suppression extensively and it's definately not my experience that if Trooper A suppresses Alien Z and Trooper B kills Z while Z remains under suppression fire from A that Trooper A becomes in anyway bugged or glitchy.

I do have a very irritating UI bug where the camera sort of freezes and most of the UI becomes unresponsive (though I can sort of scroll around - it's like fighting gravity). The only way I can fix is is to have the solider switch to his secondary weapon and then back to his primary. This has become increasingly common. If I give a command to a solider and it ends his turn then, as the camera moves to the next solider and I click say the Alien Head Icon to issue an attack before the camera has centered on the newly active solider, this will often cause it to happen for the next solider. I have to be patient and wait for the camera to centre before issuing commands.

I've had soldiers not being able to take cover on a lot of occasions, but got them into that state in a different way. When you order a unit to move somewhere and then try to have it switch its weapons by clicking the icons in the bottom right while it's still moving the unit will stop mid-motion, swap its weapons and will usually not be located properly in a tile. Moving the unit next to cover will then have no effect most of the time, it'll keep playing its out-of-cover idle animations. Fortunately saving and reloading the game seems to fix that, 'grounding' the unit to the nearest tile and making it take cover properly.

Edit: on retrospection the effect might be triggered not by swapping, but probably by reloading weapons mid-move

Edited by XMarksTheSpot

• 1 year later...