New Classes/New Class System/New Psi System?

Lycaninja

I'd really like more than two options going down a straight line like the vanilla class system works. It would be cooler if your soldier ranks up and gets multiple points to put into smaller bonuses that you can place all around so you can tailor soldiers into what you want them to be instead of just a toss up of two perks selected in a specific path. This would also be the case for the psi powers where they would be more useful and different. Not even sure if its possible, but if it was it would make XCOM so much better as the class system is the one thing I really didn't enjoy about the game.

you may want to take a look at this thread.. some progress has been made editting the perk UI, but modding XCOM is a slow and hard task, and each small tweak takes a lot of time. Reworking entire game mechanics like the whole class/perk system may be more or less feasible depending on how easily we could adapt current code to perform in the new desired way. In this particular case it seems that getting rid of the entire class system (so every xcom unit is the same class) would interfere with so many things that I doubt it isn't worth what it'd take to fix it.

There has been some progress as well making items grant perks to the weilder, most notably smoke grenades, so this way some perks can/must be moved out of the perk trees, and also you can customize those perk trees and make them all the same for all classes if you will.