Working on replacing a sound file.

FlyingHigh10000000

Been away from the X-COM modding scene for a bit, but now I've returned, with a new goal. I'm trying to replace the current interception music with the one from the PS1 port of the original X-COM. This is what I've accomplished so far:

1 - Used UPK Unpacker to unpack "HQSound_InterceptionMusic_SF.upk"

2 - Used a different tool, oggextract, to extract all sound files in "HQSound_InterceptionMusic_SF.upk". There's only one, and it's a 00:25 .ogg of the interception theme.

3 - Took my 4:00+ copy of the PS1 track, in WAV form, and used Audacity to trim it down to 00:25, exporting it as a .ogg, making sure that it has the exact same tags as the original file.(There was a tag in the original .ogg, "ENCODER - UnrealEngine3")

So, now I have an unpacked UPK, and a sound file that I'd like to try and replace the original with. I haven't been able to really find anything on the subject, so I'm asking here:

How might I go about actually replacing the file in the UPK?

I figure that however it goes down, I'll have to use XSHAPE after, so the game doesn't freak out when it sees that its sound file is different. Not sure if the size of the file, which is 455 kb, compared to the original's 311, will cause any problems, either.

You shouldn't have to use XSHAPE. A way to make the executable stop performing the checksums (on a per-file basis) has been found, so you just have to ensure that the exe isn't checking your upk file. The exe contains a list of all upk files that it checks on startup (it's not all of them) held as text strings.

I checked, and "HQSound_InterceptionMusic_SF.upk" isn't on the list, so you should be fine without anything needing to be done. (I've had the same experience after modding actionscript code in Command1.upk).

The size of the file intrinsically shouldn't be a problem. Decompressing the upk files alters the size without any issues. It's the internal logical references / tables / headers that cause the issue. This is why we can't add bytes to the game-logic upk files -- all of the table references would have to be updated.

----------------------

As to replacing sound hex -- I'm sorry, but I have no idea :( I'm strictly limited to changing logical code, which I perform via hex-edit surgery.

All I can suggest is searching for any tutorials/tools on replacing sound files in general Unreal Engine 3 games.

P.S. This sounds like an excellent mod!

Yeah, I've been doing some searching today. Every lead I find leads to the same answer, it seems: Without a developer version of UDK for the game in question, the least mind-numbingly painful way to work around the issue would be to somehow trick the game into drawing from a new UPK, because there's no way to just pack a file into a UPK, over one that's already there.