UI Mod - Bigger Perk Tree

Amineri

Hey Amineri, I was just wondering if you ever plan on converting it to the custom mod format for Toolboks or Utils? Or at least a tutorial on how to convert it, as I can't seem to figure out how on my own, and I would really love for this to work on EW.

With the help of a Long War beta tester (with Windows 8 and a touch interface), I was able to determine that the way I'd implemented the keyboard/gamepad fixes for EU (avoiding resizing code) was causing the current Long War EW issues with the expanded perk tree and touch interfaces.
My current (unreleased even for Long War) fix to make it work for mouse/keyboard/gamepad/touch requires resizing some functions, which basically makes it impossible to install using Toolboks, since Toolboks only supports mods without resizing.
So, pretty much it's going to require wghost's UPK Utils to create an easy-to-install version, as only UPKUtils and UPKmodder have the built-in code necessary to rejigger upks for resized objects.
One other question, is there a way, once this is installed, to have a separate mod file to recreate the perk trees, like the old mod file? I can't seem to enable direct ini loading, for various reasons :sad: And I was hoping there was a UPK-Utils method of replacing perks or adding perks.
In EU the perks were hard-coded into the hex, but EW significantly reworked how perks are defined. The perks themselves are moved into the config files, as well as the definitions of which perks are valid as random perks when using Training Roulette. The old EU functions are just gone, so there's really no way to code that information directly into the upks any longer.
One way or another it would require some change to the executable -- either changing the embedded config file (a la Resource Hacker) or configuing the executable to read the external config file.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Amineri, I was just wondering if you ever plan on converting it to the custom mod format for Toolboks or Utils? Or at least a tutorial on how to convert it, as I can't seem to figure out how on my own, and I would really love for this to work on EW.

With the help of a Long War beta tester (with Windows 8 and a touch interface), I was able to determine that the way I'd implemented the keyboard/gamepad fixes for EU (avoiding resizing code) was causing the current Long War EW issues with the expanded perk tree and touch interfaces.
My current (unreleased even for Long War) fix to make it work for mouse/keyboard/gamepad/touch requires resizing some functions, which basically makes it impossible to install using Toolboks, since Toolboks only supports mods without resizing.
So, pretty much it's going to require wghost's UPK Utils to create an easy-to-install version, as only UPKUtils and UPKmodder have the built-in code necessary to rejigger upks for resized objects.
One other question, is there a way, once this is installed, to have a separate mod file to recreate the perk trees, like the old mod file? I can't seem to enable direct ini loading, for various reasons :sad: And I was hoping there was a UPK-Utils method of replacing perks or adding perks.
In EU the perks were hard-coded into the hex, but EW significantly reworked how perks are defined. The perks themselves are moved into the config files, as well as the definitions of which perks are valid as random perks when using Training Roulette. The old EU functions are just gone, so there's really no way to code that information directly into the upks any longer.
One way or another it would require some change to the executable -- either changing the embedded config file (a la Resource Hacker) or configuing the executable to read the external config file.

Alrighty, thanks for the reply :) I guess that makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Amineri,

I implemented the last upload of your Expanded Perk Tree Modlet for EW using UPKModder (including the two files prefixed with double underscores, but not including the gamepad folder files - as found here)

And though it appears to be fully functional and configurable via the DGC (which is great) it displays some UI symptoms of 'entanglement' with LW code (which you did warn about).

Firstly, when browsing Soldiers from within the barracks there's an expanded display window for various attributes with some snazzy icons (note I had previously included the 'Display Mobility and XP in Barracks' modlet in the captured image as I wasn't expecting the EW Expanded Perk modlet to influence this). I really like this use of icons over text for HP, Mobility etc, so I'd either like to make it properly functional by making the 'undefined' values display the correct amounts or simply revert to Vanilla instead. Any help in either case would be sweet (I'll of course remove the redundant 'Display Mobility and XP in Barracks' modlet if the former is doable).

Secondly, and more of a serious issue, when choosing a squad for mission deployment the UI appears provisioned for LW's eight+ Soliders by default and thus Vanilla's initial four-to-six options are quite severely right-shifted on screen. (Note that the fifth and sixth 'slots' are not accessible at all).

Looking over the code it's not clear to me at all what is governing this (it's a my-end issue) :confused:

I'm basically recreating my old EU Patch 4 mod for EW and most of the basic rebalance and a host of less complex features are complete.

In the meantime I'll go back to playing current Long War which is truly great and is far better realised (imo) than the versions I was last familiar with a year ago. =)

Fantastic work as always from yourself, Johnny and Ghost.

Inspirational.

Cheers.

PS: Aggressively-Psionic-Sectoids is pure gold!

• 2 months later...

Hi Amineri,

You seem to be really good at perk modding, so I was wondering:can you please create a mod that enables re-choice of your soldiers' perks as follows:

At the troop selection screen or at the troop perk menu(in the barracks) there will be a button which makes you(the player) go in to "re-training mode" ,in that mode you 'll be able to switch any previously earned perk to the other perk achievable at the same rank, each change will cost 3 credits per ability switched, and when you are done there will be a button to exit "re-training mode" and the game will ask you to confirm the changes.

Also, this may not be the right place to ask this but,if you are also good at bug fixing, can you please create bug fixes for the following troop ability bugs:

1.Rapid reaction doesn't make the first reaction shot on overwatch a guaranteed hit.

2. HEAT Ammo only increases the damage of rocket attacks against robotic units.

3.Killer instinct doesn't work at all.

If you can create the aforementioned patches or even any one of them it will be much appreciated.

Edited by thebestesofeveythingever