Favorite Retro Game

jaosals42

Out of all the games I've played yet that date to before 2000, my favorite game would probably have to be the original Sin. I love the various locales and the interesting inventory of weapons that are unique while not being too extraordinary to believe. Plus, the enemies were pretty interesting as well and often matched well with their respective environments. I also liked the fact that missions were varied in objectives and that there were many ways to complete a certain section of the game, doing more or less to reach the end; it was a game that would keep you occupied for days at a time and had a high replay value due to the many missions and sub-missions included in it. Puzzles in the game were logical for the game's time and the physics were also pretty good.

I personally think the main character is a little over-the-top, and the cursing is a little excessive, though either way that really doesn't matter. The game was good in pretty much every other way imaginable. I was a little disappointed by the additional Sin Episode released about three years back because it just didn't have the same charm that the original game had for it's era. The story began to get a little blah and the general gameplay was about the same thing, IMO: fight, enter a building, fight again, enter another building, get knocked out...

In the end, the original Sin is my favorite retro game with all it's interesting features, despite really minor setbacks. I really enjoyed it and if you can get it to run, it's really a good cheap game to consider trying. :smile:

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, a wonderful topic for me. But I have a hard time to decide and choose only one, so if you don't mind, I will take 3 games:

-Panzer Dragoon which was my 1st 3d game. It's so pretty and truly epic in evey aspect. The music made me like classic concerts

-Resident Evil 2 which was probably the only game I played more than 20 times in a row uncovering all secrest(the only thing I never managed was the Tofu Survivor)

-Final Fantasy VII which was my 1st real RPG I ever played. I never experienced such a wonderfully told story and great gameplay before.

Pre-2000, my favorites are the X-Com series. UFO Defense (published in the UK as Enemy Unknown), and Apocalypse. I played and replayed those two several times. Had a great deal of fun with Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (took me a long time, but I finally built a party of six hobbit ninjas, all with prior spellcasting classes).

Gunship was a lot of fun (helicopter sim... played that one a lot on my sister's C-64), Silent Service (a submarine sim, same platform), Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate was another fun one for me (on the Apple 2-E that we had in the office)... lotta' good memories of a misspent youth, there...

Tomb raider 1

red Alert 2

Best of my retro games. Currently replaying RA2. Great fun.

In my opinion the best time for gaming started in 2007. We've just had so many nice games since then. Loads of AAA titles. Bioshock. Assassins Creed. Portal. Resistence. Gears of war(okay, it's a little bit older), Force Unleashed. Overlord. Crysis. Command and conquer 3. Red alert 3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Sacred 2. Dead Space. Those are just a few of the best games of the past few years.

favorite retro game... oooooh...this could be a long list...

*ahem*

1)Wario Land 1 (all of them in the series really)

2) Metal Gear NES (and pretty much all of the metal Gear series)

3) Final Fantasy sev- NAH!!!! just kidding!! XD Im no fanboy! im nostalgic! Final Fantasy 1 and 2

4) Dragon Warrior III

5) Castelvania 1

6) Mortal Kombat (entirety of series)

7) Contra

8) Super Mario Bros (entirety of series)

9) River City Ransom

10) Earth Bound...hippies are enemies....whats not to love?

11) Donkey Kong

12) Wario's Woods

13) Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu (I really love that theme song...)

14) Sonic the Hedgehog 1 ( ONE!!!! NUMBER 1!!!! UNO!!!! hate tails...)

15) Megaman

16) Bomber Man

17) Duck Hunt

18) Rampage Arcade

19) Rampage (nes)

20) Batman for the NES