Game keeps crashing.

bjrial1

No problem. Starting over and reinstalling stuff is generally a last resort, but in your case, since you just started and haven't sunk too many hours into a save game, it may be worth doing things from scratch and making sure everything is 'done right', so to speak, so you won't need to sink time later troubleshooting stuff, after you have already sunk a lot of time into a playthrough.

Edited by ripple

After i get through the Helgen tutorial should i add mods one at a time and continue that save, or start over each time i add a mod?

I do have 80 hours in one save but i havn't played in over a year and wanted to start over.

Edited by bjrial1

You can continue with the same save. Some people recommend disabling all of your mods for the Helgan tutorial because it's a rather script intensive sequence in the game and sometimes, waiting until after the tutorial to activate mods will help mitigate any stress that mods might plae on the game engine during that sequence. While that advice is sound, I personally prefer to use the Helgan tutorial as a 'testing ground' for how stable my load order is. It's not the only 'script intensive' sequence in game, so if you have trouble getting past the tutorial, there is a likely chance it might happen again at some point later on in the game. So I do not disable my mods when I start a new game and go through the tutorial.

In your case, however, I am more concerned that there may be some issue with yourload order that is triggering the CTD during the tutorial (it could be a problematic mod, mod conflict, anything). If that is the case, the imperative would be to find out what the problem is so you can fix it now rather than end up encountering more CTDs later on.

What I would recommend is that you select a small number of 'essential' mods (say 10), install them, and play and see if you can get through the Helgan tutorial. If everything goes well, you can then add more mods, slowly, one at a time, and playing for a bit to make sure everything works fine before you add another mod. For new mod users, I recommend that as the 'safest' method for adding mods.

If you had issues installing some mods because they require more complicated procedures (e.g. Dual Sheath Redux), maybe consider staying away from those mods until you've had time to read more on the details about how to get them to work (I don't use DSR, but I know you need a SkyProc patcher to generate a patch, as well as download 'support' meshes for every custom weapon and armour mod you have already installed, so it's certainly a lot more elaborate than the usual 'install and forget' mods).

Ill explain exactly what I do I select all and then I hit mark mergeable I then get a message from wyre bash that certain files are not mergeable So when i go to the next step to make the patch there's only 4 option.... When i do this for FNV i never have that problem I only have tweak setting and three other boxes I can check in the make patch section

Generally speaking, it's considered 'bad etiquette' to post your issues in someone else's request for assistance thread. If you want assistance with your issue, you should open up a new topic in the troubleshooting forum. Besides, when you do that, the advice and suggestions provided by users in your request for assistance thread will be catered specifically to your load order and set up, which will be far more helpful to you. This is bjrial1's request for assistance thread, and at a later time, he might decide to resume support if he is still encountering the same issue or new issues with his mod setup, and having diverging discussion about solutions for different set ups and different load orders will just confuse the conversation. Hope you understand.

Also, since you mentioned 'FNV', I am not sure if you realize that you've posted in the Skyrim forums.

Edited by ripple

@OP and others who struggle with ctd.... in the beginning of the game and later on:

I also had ctds at the beginning of the game. I have now restarted the game for 4th time. Did a clean install without any mod. No ctd. When I came to Riverwood, I went inside a house, did a save game twice and installed all mine mods. One by one to check out if any ctd while re-loading saved game. Running Boss is not the answer of everything. I have about 30 mods installed, 10 (+/-) of them are unknown to boss, but they had to be placed at certain place in the load order. I had a little job to do to figure out what I did last time. However, I usual take a copy of boss log so I know what I had to do. Calientes cbbe and Apachii skyhair are one of the most popular mods, but they also demands correct body/skeleton to fit and Skyhair also use some memory. These 2 should not be used when re-start a new game.

When you create a new char at Helgen, try the best you can do without any body part mods. Go to Riverwood, lock yourself in a house and install body part mods you want to have. You can use console (~) and type showracemenu to build a cuter body now if you like since you may have the needed mods. Do a save game twice. Make a backup of texture-/meshes-/scripts-/ folder and other you have created. Avoid install these high demand memory mods (high res textures) before you have done backup and a clean save. If things works, go ahead to install the rest of the mods and start walking to Whiterun.

Before re-start a new game, do a backup of savegame folder, skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini. Delete these in ..\my games\skyrim and let the game create brand new files. Avoid messing with the settings (Ugrids, uExterior Cell Buffer as examples) and be sure you have ipresentinterval=1 in the skyrim.ini file. I have the setting in both (also skyrimprefs.ini), maybe not needed, but this is mine choice. EnB, skse and Fnis are not needed while running around Helgen. Enable these when everything is good to go. Don't mess with the v-synch either (see ipresentinterval) and make sure the game not running above 60 fps. 30 fps is okay. Timescale should also be default (there are mods which alter timescale (time_ingame vs realtime), but setting these wrong, some quest maybe corrupted. In the beginning of the game, Helgen thing and when you shall kill the first dragon are scripted so messing with the default settings may cause ctd at helgen and some weird things happens when you shall kill the spesific dragon.

When the game detect the videocard, the ini files will be made due to your videocard hardware settings, not what your machine/PC can actually handle. If you have maxed out the hardware settings on your Ati or Nvidia card for that sake, the game will tell you that you are able to run the game on ultra settings. Avoid having anything on ultra if you have kind of old hardware when re-start the game. This is mine thumb rule, 1GB videocard = no ultra, not in the beginning of the game anyway. Cheers, KK

Edited by kare kleven