Can't use forge/enchanter/grindstone, character steps away

khalleb

Don't know if this will help anyone else, but I discovered that if I approach whatever item it is I want to use, (workbench, grindstone, cooking spit, etc), from a pretty significant angle instead of head-on, the animations seem to work properly about 80% of the time and I can cook, craft, upgrade, etc. Weirdest damn glitch I have ever had.

And now, to add to the weirdness, my toon is now able to use all items with no problems at all. I didn't do a thing to the game, no new mods, no deleted mods, no change to the load order, hadn't even played since last Sunday, and when I fired it up yesterday everything worked. How strange is that. :confused:

• 4 months later...

I've had this issue with multiple saves and I've tried everything from complete reinstall to removing all my mods updating and reinstalling. None of it worked. The only thing that fixed the issue was making a completely new save game. Well it has happened once again and I don't want to give up on a late game save that, save for this infuriating glitch, has been completely stable up until now. Please if anyone knows how to fix this let me know I dont want to give up on another 60+ character for the fifth time in a row.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I found something interesting about this problem. I tried turn off every mode and cleaned save with save cleaner but it did't work. So I replaced Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini with original ones and all worked but when I went to save menu in game, game crashed suddenly. One problem fixed and other one appeared. I hope this information will be useful to someone :-)

• 4 months later...

I'm having a problem with this too. I see many places where people are complaining about minor varients of this problem, and very few suggested solutions.

My varient has me going into the menu for using the station, then coming right back out of it before I can do anything, and then drawing my weapon. Even if I had no weapons equipped!

I also have tried "tai" , and I've gone through my MCM menu and cleaned or restarted or turned off all the mods with animations that give me the option to do so. Still no luck.

I keep hearing about certain mods that are more likely to cause this problem, but I don't have any of the mods that I've heard listed for that yet.

What's really making me nuts about this is that one of my characters has the problem, but my other two do not. And... I already tried going back to an earlier save, but since I don't use craft stations very often with this character, none of my saves were far enough back to be before whenever the problem started.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I got this problem by selling my equipped weapon. I equipped a new weapon and regained the ability to use the grindstone et. al.

Sounds silly I know.

So Easy! Had this problem, too. I had two daggers equipped and not drawn when I went into Whiterun, I tried to use the smelter next to the blacksmith and it bugged. After reading this post, I reloaded the save when I entered Whiterun and equipped my bow, pulled it out, and walked up to the smelter and it worked! Everything after that worked. Even in my Breezehome fully upgraded (fullyupgradeable mod installed).

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This is a very interesting glitch or should i call it an animation ERROR yes its an animation ERROR the problem is you have to download a mod or somthing that changes the animation when interaction another problem there are very fev of em the one i used got deleted besose well reasons :/

• 3 years later...

I had the same problem and i solved that by using a shot and my animations while using forge and other things changed and i just stayed in front of them, my vision was redirected for them and nothing happend. I pressed esc to let the forge and i used player.tai in console and tried use forge again e that was solved.