Skyrim CTD -- No idea what's causing it

dizM0nkey

'Moonpath to Elsewyre', unless something has changed, the general recommendation is that the mod be enabled only when you want to play the quest, then disabled after you are done?

Can you be more specific about your random CTDs? Do they happen mostly outdoors, in interior cells, during combat, with followers, anything that might suggest a pattern?

'Moonpath to Elsewyre', unless something has changed, the general recommendation is that the mod be enabled only when you want to play the quest, then disabled after you are done?

Can you be more specific about your random CTDs? Do they happen mostly outdoors, in interior cells, during combat, with followers, anything that might suggest a pattern?

I'm actually crashing now when loading new areas, unfortunately. Before, it was kind of a random CTD, both indoor and outdoor. I'll look into 'Moonpath to Elsewyre' as a possible cause.

I've gotten good at cleaning my ESPs and am in a much better place now - no unrecognized plugins and I've installed appropriate patches where recommended from http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26230/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D26230&pUp=1

BOSS log:

These plugins are recognised by BOSS and have been sorted according to its masterlist. Please read any attached messages and act on any that require action.

• Skyrim.esm Active
  • Update.esm Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
  • Dawnguard.esm Active
  • HearthFires.esm Active
  • Dragonborn.esm Active
  • ApachiiHair.esm Active
  • ClimatesOfTamriel.esm Active
  • MagicDuel.esm Active
  • moonpath.esm Active
  • SPIKE.esm Active
  • retreat.esm Active
  • Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Active
  • Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Active
  • Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Active
  • Chesko_Frostfall.esp Active
  • Clanking Armor.esp Active
  • ClimatesOfTamriel-Sound.esp Active
  • StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp Active
  • StaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.esp Active
  • BirdsHFclean.esp Active
  • Chesko_WearableLantern.esp Active
  • Craftable Soulstoneswithforge.esp Active
  • Lost Art of the Blacksmith.esp Active
  • More Craftables.esp Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev}}
  • Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons v2.0.esp Active
  • skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds.esp Active
  • Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp Active
  • ValsCraftingMeltdownAlpha.esp Active
  • Convenient Horses.esp Active
  • Convenient Horses - Unique Frost.esp Active
  • Convenient Horses - Faster Sprint.esp Active
  • Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp Active
  • DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp Active
    • Note: Make sure you have not switched DoF off in your ini file. If you don't see any effect, open you Skyrimprefs.ini and look for 'bDoDepthOfField'. Make sure it is set to 1.
  • Footprints.esp Active
  • Footprints - Ash.esp Active
  • IMAGINATOR - Visual Control for Skyrim.esp Active
  • RaceMenu.esp Active
  • RaceMenuPlugin.esp Active
    • Note: RaceMenuPlugin is optional and provides support to alter Height, Breast, Glute and Biceps. If you experience issues with it, disable RaceMenuPlugin.esp and inform the author.
  • WetandCold.esp Active
  • SkyUI.esp Active
  • iHUD.esp Active
  • Cloaks.esp Active
  • Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp Active
  • Crossbows_Basic_Collection_EN.esp Active
  • hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp Active
  • WeaponsOf3E.esp Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev}}
  • WeaponsOf3E - No Leveled Lists.esp Active
  • WiS IV.esp Active
  • Dragon Falls Manor.esp Active
  • Gleaming falls.esp Active
  • moonpath_questdata.esp Active
  • PumpingIron.esp Active
  • Quest_SeaOfGhosts.esp Active
  • The Asteria - Dwemer Airship.esp Active
  • AchieveThat.esp Active
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ammo.esp Active
    • Note: Sharlikran's update of this file. Do not clean the file further with TES5Edit.
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Books.esp Active
    • Note: Sharlikran's update of this file. Do not clean the file further with TES5Edit.
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Food (Light Weight).esp Active
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ingredients.esp Active
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Miscellaneous.esp Active
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Potions (Light Weight).esp Active
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Soul Gems (Ranked).esp Active
  • Headbomb's Better Sorting - Spells.esp Active
  • FasterHorses_Sprint_x1_5.esp Active
  • Headtracking.esp Active
  • torches for realistic lighting.esp Active
  • Skyrim Unlimited Rings And Amulets.esp Active
  • VariousGuardReplacer.esp Active
  • aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp Active
  • EnhancedLightsandFX.esp Active
  • Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.esp Active
  • Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Interiors.esp Active
  • Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.esp Active
  • Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp Active
  • Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Town Interiors.esp Active
  • ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp Active
  • ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp Active
  • ClimatesOfTamriel-WinterEdition.esp Active
  • Predator Vision.esp Active
  • Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp Active
  • MidasSkyrim.esp Active
  • The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp Active
  • Crimson Tide - Blood.esp Active
  • dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp Active
  • EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp Active
  • UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp Active
    • Note: For safe install need dismiss all your followers, save, delete all included mods, load again, save and install UFO. For safe uninstall or update see special instructions on mod page.
  • UFO - Dawnguard AddOn.esp Active
  • UFO - Heartfire AddOn.esp Active
  • specializedfollowers.esp Active
  • Extended Slider Colors.esp Active
  • ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp Active
  • getSnowy.esp Active
  • Purewaters.esp Active
  • PurewatersDG.esp Active
  • PurewatersDB.esp Active

fUpdateBudgetMS=800

fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800

These are way, waaaaay to high. As I suggested in my previous post, start around 12 (the default for both of these is 1.2). I haven't done too much testing with these so I can't really suggest a reasonable max value, but 12 is already ten times the amount of time, for Papyrus to do it's thing, than default. 800 is just plain silly.

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000

This could probably come down a bit, but it's not really hurting anything. This is a delay used when the game reloads the last state of your Papyrus VM (at loading screens and saves). It's only downside is slightly increased loading times (2000 = a 2 second pause).

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2457600

This is a little on the high side, (That's 2400KB) but it shouldn't be high enough to cause any problems. I typically suggest 1MB (1048576) as it's more than enough, but low enough to not run into problems. This setting determines the maximum amount of System RAM the Papyrus VM can use. When the Papyrus VM screenshots itself and then reloads the screenshot (during saves and loading screens), it's memory usage spikes. If it runs out of System RAM during this spike, your game will CTD. The default of 75KB (76800) has been shown to not be enough for some setups. Ridiculously large values (100MBs or more) have been shown to cause stack count issues among other things.

iMaxMemoryPageSize=512

Bumping this up to 768 or 1024 may increase stability for your mod setup. It should definitely reduce stutter though as you have Footprints and Crimson Tide running and they both have large stacks that need lots of memory (comparatively, "lots of memory" at least)

All of the following mods have at least one script that runs constantly. Some of them run solely on the player, some of them determine when a bird is going to pop up, and others even have scripts that run on all Actors that are currently loaded (Crimson Tide, WetandCold, Footprints):

• Chesko_Frostfall.esp
  • Birds.esp
  • skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds.esp
  • Convenient Horses.esp
  • Footprints.esp
  • Footprints - Ash.esp
  • WetandCold.esp
  • SkyUI.esp
  • iHUD.esp
  • Cloaks.esp
  • PumpingIron.esp
  • Headtracking.esp
  • The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp
  • Crimson Tide - Blood.esp
  • UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
  • getSnowy.esp

Many mods require no Papyrus scripting at all, just .esp alterations. FasterHorses_Sprint_x1_5.esp for example. Others require .esp additions along with custom resources (meshes and textures), Immersive Armors falls under this category. Some mods don't even require a plugin, just a custom resource (HD2K falls here).

If the Papyrus Tweaks, and removing Moonpath don't help, try disabling CoT - Sounds. If that fixes it for you, you could try re-enabling it and lowering your sound sampling rate in the Windows Control Panel. I believe 16 bit 41000Hz is what I've seen suggested when running sound replacers.

Edited by MShoap13

Ok, so I have a very specific place it's locking up now: Solstheim. There's a band of outlaws living down near the water by the Wind Stone. Every time I approach them, the game locks. I've deactivated Cot - Sounds and Moonpath, as well as adjusted my skyrim.ini tweaks suggested above;

[Papyrus]

fUpdateBudgetMS=12

fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=12

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000

iMinMemoryPageSize=256

iMaxMemoryPageSize=1024

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1048576

bEnableLogging=0

bEnableTrace=0

bLoadDebugInformation=0

bEnableProfiling=0

I'm really at a loss as to what to try next. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by diznanl

The game freezes or it CTDs? Is there a sound loop (where the game repeats the same split-second of sound a number of times) when this occurs?

Just a thought, have you changed your skyrim.ini [General] settings... namely uGridsToLoad (anything higher than the default 5) ?

If so... change it back to default;

uGridsToLoad=5

uExteriorCellBuffer=36

Try a new game.. Im pretty sure that if you modified those settings you found your CTDs running all those mods.

The game freezes or it CTDs? Is there a sound loop (where the game repeats the same split-second of sound a number of times) when this occurs?

I'm getting a CTD, though some of the crashes I've had in the past involved the game freezing.