How do I create a chest in Skyrim then put items into it using the Cre

Malathorien

Hi there,

I am very new to modding but only really want to do one thing at the moment, but do not understand how to do it. I taught myself how to change weapon attributes the other day but this one is giving me a headache.

1. I want to create a chest in a specific location, and then put into it some items from a mod, specifically this one: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24814/?tab=1&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D24814%26preview%3D&pUp=1

2. If it is not too complex to do, I would also like to have the chest Locked, and only be openable using a key which would be dropped by a specific npc.

How do I go about doing this?

I hope that you can help me or point me to a web page which teaches this.

Thanks for reading

Check out the Bethesda CK tutorials on YouTube. They're invaluable in learning the basics of the CK, and there's only ten episodes so its worth the time investing into watching them all. I know there is at least one video that deals with what your asking about to I just cant recall which one it is. Link is down below.

Bethesda CK Tutorial

I am not an expert modder either, but I can help you with a few tips. Chests are under Worldobjects>Container, choose one chest there and right click to duplicate, then rename the duplicate (right click>rename). Once you rename it, double click on it to open its properties. In the middle of the window you see the item list, right click and and add "new" and choose the item you want to add the chest in the drop down menu under Object.

An advice: I didn't check the mod you sent, but if the mod is .esp file, you may have difficulties to make the items appear, because you cannot use in your .esp files from other .esp's. I generally convert the resource file into an .esm using TES4 Gecko.

2. You can make the key under Items>Key. Right click and add a new key. Then put your chest into the render window and double click on it. A reference window will open up, click on "Lock" tab, tick "Locked" and choose "requires a key" from the drop down menu. As key choose the key you made earlier. You can then put that key in the inventory of the NPC you want.

Hope this helps,

Happy modding

Edited by theodisca

Thanks guys.

So, I have worked out how to create a unique chest, and how to specify what is in it. However, it still is not clear how I place my newly designed and named chest (currently 0 instances of it in Skyrim) where I want it to be. I tried messing around in the rendering window but it is extremely daunting.

Anyone with some help on that front would be most welcome.

Hey Malathorien,

Find your worldspace/interior in the Cell View you want to place your chest and double click on it to open it in the Render Window. Then find your chest and click and drag your chest into the Render Window. You can then click and drag it to position wherever you want it to be.

Hope that was what you were asking for (my English is not very good and I might have misunderstood you)

• 4 years later...