FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Ismelda

Ismelda

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,860 posts
I'll start a Discussion on this because it is quite time consuming and emotionally draining to answer over and over again the same questions:

Here is the list of all the FAQ we have for now:

1 - I have Yellow Signs (! or WTF) all over the place. What did I do wrong?

2 - There are huge gaps in the IC Market and NPC fall in. What is wrong with that?

3 - Is it possible to disable one city/district and use the rest?

4 - There are two sets of doors in some cities, one set floating just in front of where they should be. How do I fix this?

5 - Can I use Bananasplit's Better Cities (BBC) with Open Cities Reborn (OCR) or Open Cities Classic (OCC)?

6 - How do I omod the archives from Better Cities?

7 - Why are you at war with the CUO Cities modder? It says so all over the site dedicated to CUO!

8 - I'm playing with the cities toggled open, and content from other mods I'm using isn't available! How do I resolve this?

9 - After installing Better Cities, the game no longer loads! Why does the game close as soon as I try to start it?

10 - What does [this file] do?

11 - Why do I fall down through a ship in Anvil instead of walking on it?

12 - Why is Skingrad castle invisible except for two funny-looking towers?

13 - Why does FPS drop in cities when using Better Cities?

14 - Can I change the map in the Imperial City to another one?

15 - Why can't I hear the voices of many of the new NPCs when I speak to them?

16 - This FAQ doesn't answer my question, what now?

Edited by Ismelda, 10 May 2013 - 06:30 PM.

Ismelda

Ismelda

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,860 posts
1 - I have Yellow Signs (! or WTF) all over the place. What did I do wrong?

You didn't install the resources (or didn't install them properly).

Get the Main Files with Resources in their name and install them. (If you are using Oblivion Mod Manage check the FAQ 6).

Then read the readme or the description of this mod to see how to properly install the resources.

In the end, you'll need to have 7 bsa files (only the ones that you need depending on your actual mod list) and the "Better Cities .esp" plugin activated to enable the bsa files.

Edited by Ismelda, 19 September 2010 - 08:56 AM.

Ismelda

Ismelda

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,860 posts
2 - There are huge gaps in the IC Market and NPC fall in. What is wrong with that?

You didn't load Better Cities after every mod that could affect the Imperial City. The easy way to make sure of that (except the obvious gaps in the Market) is to make sure you have the IC Map we created instead of the regular Cyrodiil world map.

So push Better Cities after any other mod but the Bashed Patch (if you are using one) to make sure you have the correct load order.

Note for BOSS users: BOSS will place all the mods it doesn't recognize in the end of your load order. It is your job to ensure that they stay before Better Cities.

Ismelda

Ismelda

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,860 posts
3 - Is it possible to disable one district and use the rest?

Better Cities is offered in 2 forms. Two merged files, one containing the entire Imperial City, the other containing the entirety of all the other cities. Or, each IC District in a separate ESP.

If you don't want all the IC Districts, don't use the merged ESP named "Better Imperial City.esp", instead pick the separate BC IC ESPs.

The modularity for the other cities has been abandoned for practical purposes and according to the vote of the users.

Vorians

Vorians

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 2,967 posts
4 - There are two sets of doors in some cities, one set floating just in front of where they should be. How do I fix this?

This happens when your gamesave hasn't caught up with the changes made by Better Cities, and is easy to fix.

Leave the city, go somewhere some distance away
Create a new save in an unused Save Slot (don't overwrite an existing save)
Quit to desktop
Relaunch the game, and load the new save

There should now only be one set of doors, correctly positioned.

Ismelda

Ismelda

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,860 posts
5 - Can I use Better Cities (BBC) with Open Cities Reborn (OCR) or Open Cities Classic (OCC)?

Better Cities offers its own Open cities form but as we do not offer separate ESPs for each city, it is no longer possible to combine Open Cities Classic and Better Cities. You have to choose one mod or the other.

So what's the difference between BC, OCR and OCC:

Open Cities Classic: (OCC) This mod just ports the basic cities into Tamriel without adding or removing anything.
Open Cities Classic.esp - this edits every city except Kvatch and the Imperial City
Open Cities Outer Districts.esp - this edits IC Prison District and IC Arcane University

Open Cities Reborn: (OCR) This mod ports the cities to Tamriel and, in addition, redesigns their layout, focusing on more strategic placement of the facilities.
Open Cities Reborn.esp - this edits every city except Kvatch and the Imperial City
Open Cities Outer Districts.esp - this edits IC Prison District and IC Arcane University

Open Better Cities: (OBC) This mod ported the Better Cities to Tamriel. It is no longer available separately, as it has been integrated into Better Cities itself.

Bananasplit's Better Cities: (BC or BBC) This is the mod you are actually browsing! By default it is not open but it highly modifies the cities (in some parts more than others) and gives quite a unique identity to each city, including the Imperial City. As the cities stay closed, like the vanilla cities, this mod ensures the best compatibility with other mods adding new features in the cities. It is provided with many patches to let you enjoy Better Cities along other popular mods. As decoration means many things are added to the cities, it is also very FPS intensive. Optionally, you can toggle Better Cities to become Open Better Cities (excluding the Imperial City), which will port the Better Cities to Tamriel.

Better Cities Full.esp - this edits every city except Kvatch and the Imperial City
Better Cities Full - B&M Edition.esp - this edits every city except Kvatch and the Imperial City
Better Imperial City.esp - this edits every District in the Imperial City

You can use "Better Imperial City.esp" with "Open Cities Classic.esp" or with "Open Cities Reborn.esp", but not with "Open Cities Outer Districts.esp"

You can use the separate Imperial City District ESPs (excluding the Prison District and the Arcane University) with "Open Cities Outer Districts.esp"

You cannot use "Better Cities Full.esp" or "Better Cities Full - B&M Edition.esp" with "Open Cities Classic.esp" or with "Open Cities Reborn.esp"

There is however a patch offered on the Better Cities download page for use with "Open Cities Reborn.esp" - the patch should be used instead of "Better Cities Full.esp" or "Better Cities Full - B&M Edition.esp"

Edited by Ismelda, 24 June 2012 - 01:56 PM.

Ismelda

Ismelda

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,860 posts

6 - How do I omod the archives from Better Cities?

First you need to download the 3 archives required for Better cities and this is what you'll get.

OBMM001.jpg

Second, you open Oblivion Mod Manager and click the create Button:

OBMM002Thumb.jpg

It will open this window:

OBMM003.jpg

Then you click the Add Archive button:

OBMM004.jpg

It will ask you some stuff because the esp are inside folders and you click yes (the Resources B won't ask that question as there is no esp in it but only a data file):

OBMM005.jpg

It will then ask if you want to use the data in the omod conversion folder which hold the script for installation so say yes:

OBMM006.jpg

After a moment your window will be filled with the files from the archive and you can unclick the checkbox "Include version in file name" if the file name already contains the version number (which is the case when I add letters to them like for version 4.6.0b). You can leave it checked if you want it will just add 4.6.0 at the end of your omod file name. Click the Button Create Omod:

OBMM008.jpg

The last message box will appear telling you your archive is omoded (the creation of the omod itself may take some time depending on the size of the archive you are omoding):

OBMM010.jpg

And this is the result:

OBMM009Thumb.jpg

Now create 2 other omods from the 2 other archives and activate the 3 omods you got.

Edited by Ismelda, 08 April 2013 - 06:27 PM.

Vorians

Vorians

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 2,967 posts
7 - Why are you at war with the CUO Cities modder? It says so all over the site dedicated to CUO!

We're not "at war" with anyone. Just because a modder "declares war" on us and fills his personal website with lies and false accusations against us doesn't mean we have to get involved in his "war". It's his site, so he can make up anything he wants to there.

If one modder feels the need to create city overhaul mods purely to try to force lovers of Better Cities to choose his mods over Better Cities, we don't mind. However, because there is no war, I have taken the time to negate the "battle" by offering compatibility patches for the CUO mods, thus ensuring that those who want to use BC can use BC, those who want to use CUO can use CUO, and those who want to use BC and CUO together can use BC and CUO together. Personally I think the two sets of mods together work very well, and greatly enhance the cities which have so far had CUO Cities releases.
Truth
Lies

He says "welcome to my war BC".

I say: there is no war.

UPDATE
The non-war is over. The CUO modder admitted defeat and withdrew his forces and all propaganda from his site. The link to Lies will no longer reveal the lies it once showed, but the link to Truth remains constant.

Ismelda

Ismelda

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,860 posts
8 - I'm playing with the cities toggled open, and content from other mods I'm using isn't available! How do I resolve this?

When the cities are toggled open, all content from the original game and added by Better Cities is duplicated in the Tamriel worldspace so that you no longer have to activate the city gates and then watch a load screen while you are transported into the closed city worldspaces. Other mods which add new content into the cities will have used the closed city worldspaces, so without a compatibility patch or unless this other mod has been designed to accommodate open cities, you will not see this new content.

However, all is not lost. It is still possible to enter the old closed worldspaces briefly if you need to meet an NPC, find a weapon/piece of armour, or enter a new building from another mod. Every city has a hidden door linking to the old worldspace - and once you are finished, you can either use the city gates or Fast Travel to return to the open city back in the Tamriel worldspace.

Here is where each hidden door can be located:
Anvil Castle Courtyard - door stone beneath lamp post between door to castle barracks and door to castle great hall
Anvil - door stone between docks city gate and Newheim the Portly's house, top of pavement steps
Bravil - broken crate by city walls north-west of Varon Vamori's house, west of squatter's house
Bruma - broken crate beside Jearl's House, south-west corner of city
Cheydinhal - gravestone closest to chapel's east wall in graveyard
Chorrol - door stone behind Rimalus Bruiant's House near north city gate, beneath wine barrel
Leyawiin - door stone behind Blackwood Company Hall beside open barrel, south-west corner of city
Skingrad Castle Courtyard - door stone against wall at bottom of steps in south-east corner
Skingrad - door stone behind Hammer and Tongs near open barrel, south side of north quarter of city

Edited by Ismelda, 24 June 2012 - 01:49 PM.

Vorians

Vorians

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 2,967 posts
9 - After installing Better Cities, the game no longer loads! Why does the game close as soon as I try to start it?

This happens if you install an ESP from Better Cities which you shouldn't be using. Any ESP which is dependant on another ESM or ESP will cause the game to quit on start-up if the ESM or ESP it is dependant on is not in your Data folder.

All our compatibility patches are dependant on the mods they patch.

All our FPS patches are dependant on whichever specific city the FPS patch is named for.

So if you try to use one of our compatibility patches without installing the mod it patches, the game will fail to start. Remove that patch to resolve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Page loaded in: 0.797 seconds