• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

headbomb

headbomb

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Official Support Thread for Better Sorting's Categorized Favorites Menu.

Click here to read this on the forums (recommended)

This thread will serve three main purposes:
A) Document the most up-to-date version of Better Sorting's official CFM config file.
B) Give some tips for those who want to customize things.
C) Give links to non official CFM config files for Better Sorting. It honestly doesn't matter to me if you prefer someone else' config, but remember if you use other CFM files than my own, updating Better Sorting might break compatibility until non-official CFM config files get updated. And this is your problem, not mine.

You'll need:
* Categorized Favorites Menu (CFM)
* Better Sorting (BS)

Basic stuff
* BS = Better Sorting
* CFM = Categorized Favorites Menu
* Official file/official config (or similar) = My official CFM config file for the latest version of Better Sorting and the latest version of Categorized Favorites Menu. I take responsibility for improvements, bug fixes, etc. You do not have to worry about keeping them up-to-date, and I try to keep them clean and efficient for all play-types. This is what you get if you elect to use my CFM file.
* Non-official file/non-official config (or similar) = Third party CFM file designed to be used with some version of Better Sorting with some version of Categorized Favorites Menu. Some might be specialized for certain character builds, other might just have a different take on how to organize things, and others might just be horrible. You're free to use them and make your own judgement about what you prefer, but whatever problem arises is out of my hands. While I will try to maximize compatibility from version to version, it is not my responsibility to keep non-official configs up-to-date.

As a rule of thumb, if it is mentioned that the official CFM file is compatible with earlier versions of Better Sorting, then chances are non-official CFM files designed for earlier versions will work with the newer versions. For example if you see "This config is designed for version H, but should work for version D and up." in the section below, chances are a non-official CFM file designed for versions D/E/F/G/H will work, but not one designed for versions A/B/C. If you are unsure, ask whoever made your CFM file.

A) Here is the content of the latest CFM file (Better Sorting 2.04).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You at least need to have Better Sorting for Arrows, Potions and Spells (all of which are included in the Default Installation) for it to work. This config is designed for version 2.04 of Better Sorting, but will also work on version 2.03. It is optimized for 1920x1080, and I did not test it in other resolutions. No one seem to have complained about them, so maybe it means it works for all resolutions, or that people gaming in [inset resolution] are not very vocal. If someone can suggest [config] values for other resolutions, post them below.

Spoiler

B) Tips

For those who want to make their own custom version, you will probably run into the trouble of "If I use 'Frenzy' as a filter, that could be the spell, one of four loot potions, or alchemy potions!". The main thing to remember is that alchemy potions are marked with a *, loot potion have a space-hyphen-space-rank separator, and that spells have a period-space-rank separator. More visually, this means

Frenzy *    --> Alchemy potion
Frenzy. II  --> Spell
Frenzy - II --> Loot potion

You can also inspect my own CFM file to see what I did. Note that I did not optimize the file to have the least redundancy possible, or the cleanest code possible. For example, the potion list filter "- I" will catch "Restore Health - I", just like the potion list filter "Restore" will. In general, I try to "catch everything that COULD be relevant" then "exclude everything that IS definitely irrelevant", and from there I make additional tweaks.

Lastly, beware of spaces. Using
keywords = Warhammer,War hammer

does not give the same results as using
keywords = Warhammer, War hammer

C) Non-official CFM files

Might be worth a look, possibly outdated -- Listed by author
* Categorized Favorites Menu config- Better sorting for widesc by bramblefeet
* Categorized Favorites fixes - Better Sorting and artifacts by clsShadow
* Favoritesmenu for Categorized Favorites Menu and Better Sort by Megiddon

Not recommended, unlikely to ever be updated -- Listed by author
* Categorized Favorites fix for Better Sorting by Niss -- Only works with Better Sorting v1.64 or earlier, not recommended.

Edited by headbomb, 20 January 2012 - 10:50 AM.

Megiddon

Megiddon

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
Do you mind if a upload a revamped version of your favoritesmenu config file?

Megiddon

Megiddon

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
I placed the file here, to share with people, but if you want me to make it invisible let me know.

Also Invisible potion and spell is the same if you want to look into that, makes it hard to put in the proper category heh

http://www.skyrimnex...ile.php?id=6328

headbomb

headbomb

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Doesn't matter to me what people do with the CFM files. See section 9 -- Support for Categorized Favorites Menu for more details on it. As for your invisibility problem, section 9 has some tips for it, and should be resolved with version 2.03.

Edited by headbomb, 19 January 2012 - 04:14 PM.

Megiddon

Megiddon

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
Cool thanks a bunch :)

heh I notice I can't get anyone to chat on the mod, its the first time I uploaded one. I've been using your better sorting mod ever since it came out so I got a bit obsessed with making a nice layout to support it in favorites :)

Coasty

Coasty

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 136 posts
I just added/tested your mod today and immediately ran into a problem.

When using the default CFM config file and your mod then the Potions category is completely empty and most of my spells are missing from the Magic column, instead all potions and about 75% of my magic spells were placed in the Other category. If I use your optional CFM config file then all potions and spells are placed in their correct categories. The problem with that is I don't especially like how your optional CFM config file adds Armor/Weapon sub-categories, mostly because with the added multiple sub-categories the stacked-in-one-column of Armor/Weapons end up taking up too much vertical screen space. I like the other parts of your optional CFM config file so I tried editing the CFM config file to remove the Armor/Weapon sub-categories, but my programming skills, unfortunately, are rather poor. I.E. I didn't even come close to getting my editing to work.

When this problem occurred the first thing I thought of was that another mod was interfering, so I uninstalled all mods except for Better Sorting v2.04, SkyUI v2.0, Categorized Favorites Menu v0.1.7, Weapon and Armor Fixes v1.02 and Val's Crafting Menu v1.7a. Going by your mod description about compatibility Better Sorting should have worked just fine using CFM's default config file, especially with just those five mods installed, but it didn't as the Potion/Magic columns were still screwed.

Anyhow, I figured you'd like to know about it...

Edited by Coasty, 21 January 2012 - 01:57 AM.

headbomb

headbomb

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
If you don't like weapons & armors subcategories, just disable them. Find the subsections you don't like and change "enabled = true" to "enabled = false".

zpucek

zpucek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
favoritesmenu.cfg bug

The slow time shout was appearing in the poisons>crowd control category. I added the word "Time" to the excludes in poisons. Now it's fine.

Apethnatos

Apethnatos

Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
This configuration for CFM works fine except for two problems

1. The slow time shout is being mistaken as a poison, so you could either move the powers & shouts list above the poisons list or add time to the exclusions for poisons

2. The waterbreathing spell is being mistaked for a potion. This cannot really be changed from here, you'll probably have to edit the naming of either the potions or the spell.

Other than those two, this configuration works great!

Edited by Apethnatos, 16 February 2012 - 05:38 AM.

xXShInIgAmIsAmAXx

xXShInIgAmIsAmAXx

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Made a cfg file for this:http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=17317

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Page loaded in: 0.859 seconds