The Great Thumbnail Rebuild

MrMason

We have been gearing up for some time to get ready to rebuild the thumbnails for over 2.5 million images that you’ve all uploaded over the years so that they are a much higher quality for the new website design that we've been working on.

We kicked off this rebuilding process at the start of last week, and it is now complete. The higher quality thumbnails may take some time to filter down through our various CDN providers as they are heavily cached.

Some of you may have noticed over the last few weeks a few subtle changes that we've made to the way thumbnail images are displayed on the website. Every thumbnail should now be scaled to the correct ratio and size for each place it is displayed on the website to accommodate this increase in size and quality.

These new thumbnails look great on the new responsive design we've got coming - the old thumbnail size was simply too small to use in any modern design.

The rebuilding of the site's thumbnails is almost entirely seamless - however there is one area that you may want to check on: if you've uploaded images to your mods - any images that have been cropped to make custom thumbnails will have been replaced with a higher quality original thumbnail - unfortunately we don't have any way of rebuilding cropped thumbnails to a higher quality, so if you want to then you can jump into your mod page right now, and re-crop your images.

Going forward, the new website layout will work best if the images you upload are 16:9 - so if you are uploading new images now and you want to be future proof we highly recommend using that ratio.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #50317957.

MrMason wrote: We have been gearing up for some time to get ready to rebuild the thumbnails for over 2.5 million images that you’ve all uploaded over the years so that they are a much higher quality for the new website design that we’ve been working on.

We kicked off this rebuilding process at the start of last week, and it is now complete. The higher quality thumbnails may take some time to filter down through our various CDN providers as they are heavily cached.

Some of you may have noticed over the last few weeks a few subtle changes that we’ve made to the way thumbnail images are displayed on the website. Every thumbnail should now be scaled to the correct ratio and size for each place it is displayed on the website to accommodate this increase in size and quality.

These new thumbnails look great on the new responsive design we’ve got coming - the old thumbnail size was simply too small to use in any modern design.

The rebuilding of the site’s thumbnails is almost entirely seamless - however there is one area that you may want to check on: if you’ve uploaded images to your mods - any images that have been cropped to make custom thumbnails will have been replaced with a higher quality original thumbnail - unfortunately we don’t have any way of rebuilding cropped thumbnails to a higher quality, so if you want to then you can jump into your mod page right now, and re-crop your images.

Going forward, the new website layout will work best if the images you upload are 16:9 - so if you are uploading new images now and you want to be future proof we highly recommend using that ratio.

I have a 21:9 screen. Should I edit all of my screenshots to be 16:9, or is the matter only for thumbnails?

In response to post #50318062.

Pickysaurus wrote: Any news when we can get our mitts on the new site? And will it be mobile friendly?

I second this :D Edited by Aum1994

In response to post #50317957. #50318227 is also a reply to the same post.

MrMason wrote: We have been gearing up for some time to get ready to rebuild the thumbnails for over 2.5 million images that you’ve all uploaded over the years so that they are a much higher quality for the new website design that we’ve been working on.

Some of you may have noticed over the last few weeks a few subtle changes that we’ve made to the way thumbnail images are displayed on the website. Every thumbnail should now be scaled to the correct ratio and size for each place it is displayed on the website to accommodate this increase in size and quality.

These new thumbnails look great on the new responsive design we’ve got coming - the old thumbnail size was simply too small to use in any modern design.

The rebuilding of the site’s thumbnails is almost entirely seamless - however there is one area that you may want to check on: if you’ve uploaded images to your mods - any images that have been cropped to make custom thumbnails will have been replaced with a higher quality original thumbnail - unfortunately we don’t have any way of rebuilding cropped thumbnails to a higher quality, so if you want to then you can jump into your mod page right now, and re-crop your images.

MaxG3D wrote: I have a 21:9 screen. Should I edit all of my screenshots to be 16:9, or is the matter only for thumbnails?

only thumbnails, which if your image doesn't fit the 16:9 ratio will be blackbarred to fit the 16:9 window they appear in. you can already see the new thumbnail style in search results if you want to see what it'll look like.

In response to post #50318062. #50318772 is also a reply to the same post.

Pickysaurus wrote: Any news when we can get our mitts on the new site? And will it be mobile friendly?
Aum1994 wrote: I second this :D

We are spending a considerable amount of time making the site fully responsive and I can confirm that it looks just as incredible on a mobile device as it does a 4K screen.

However, this is purely for the main NexusMods site. The redesign we are working on will not change any of the NexusMods forum. We will definitely be looking at this in the future (once the redesign is out and all bugs quashed) though.