Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

We're currently implementing stage 2 of our redesign soft launch process and as such, you might experience a few oddities and/or get thrown about a bit between the old and new designs as we gradually implement the changes and stress test things.

Stage 2 is moving the nexusmods.com domain over to the new design so by default, users will be on the new design. During this time we're still allowing users to access the old website design via https://old.nexusmods.com.

If during our stress tests we find that there are some issues that need fixing that might negatively impact the performance of the sites for all users we'll be able to switch the default domain back to the old one as necessary (after we've had enough time to identify the issue).

As such, the site might be a bit wobbly this week and into the next as we do this complex roll-out and ensure all systems are working as intended. You might experience some slowdowns as we try and maintain parity with the old system and tune our servers for the new system. If you try and access the site and it's down, or it's very slow, we likely know about the issue and are busy trying to find the cause as we actively monitor the situation. Hopefully these instances will not last longer than 15 minutes as we will switch back to the "stable" old site during these periods.

We expect to be in Stage 2 for between 1-3 weeks, during which time we will fix any bug reports that come our way via our bug tracker and use the massive new influx of traffic to the new design to profile the performance, tweak it and fine tune it so that it performs as well as (and hopefully better) than the old design did.

This is a very important stage for us as it's the first time in the entire design and implementation process where we can test the site using the complete, actual traffic from Nexus Mods users and stress test accordingly. Hopefully you can appreciate how important that is and we appreciate your patience during what will be a hard and stressful part of the process for us.

I want to once again say a massive thank you to the users who have been reporting bugs with the redesign on our bug tracker. With your help we've manage to squash 142 bugs, some big, some tiny, and your help in this area has helped to speed up the process and ensure we can offer as bug-free a transition as possible. Thank you again.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #55251913. #55251933 is also a reply to the same post.

GlassDeviant wrote: Is this why the CDN keeps giving me 502 errors 2 out of every 3 pages, for the last several hours, and the responsiveness is totally tanked?
Dark0ne wrote: Yep.

Ditto

Ugh. :pinch: Both Nexus and Firefox updated its design today. I think I'll just die a little, or start using a phone with way less protections in it. :sad: But I'll get used to it, probably. I have to

Edit: Uuh? Ticking Use Emoticons? Done, Submit

Edited by lasse1001

The frequent server cutouts are a little awkward, but I'm looking forward to the new design's rollout. I hated it at first because it's such a drastic change, but I've been browsing with it to try and get used to it the last week or so, and it's actually got some nice features. Whoever decided to turn the enlarged images on mod pages into a slideshow deserves a medal. I can't tell you how annoying I always found enlarging one image, shrinking, enlarging the next, etc. on the old design.

Thanks for all the work you guys do on this place, Dark0ne and the rest of the team. It's important to a lot of us.

Am not too unhappy so far with the new design. Only thing I'd like to see is our user name top right would be made into a quick-link to our profile and the possibility to add more than eight games to our favourites, like, at least twelve. That's it. The rest isn't as overseeable as the old design, but it's just a matter of getting used to. Edited by JimmyRJump

What, are we not supposed to post SQL server errors here? An explanation would have been nice, and the courteous thing to do, rather than just straight deleting/removing my post with no explanation in what I can only assume is the vain hope I "figure it out," or some other nebulous ideal. It usually helps when attempting to correct someone to actually tell them what you're correcting and why.

Thanks, man. Nothing like being made to feel this big so early in the morning. And yes, it was 520 errors, not 502. Don't worry. I won't post in here again. I'll stick to my own little domain, such as it is.