Streamline 3.1, the mod

Shadowcran

Last week, I put Streamline 3.1 into Oblivion. It would often do "streamsaves" which was apparently an attempt on it's part to fix something. It was supposed to help performance.

Did it? nope. Instead it seemed to be causing far too many 'streamsaves' that would have course annoy my gameplaying experience. I seemed to be having 'sticky' animations far too damned often.

This morning, I removed it. Haven't had one lick of trouble nor those pesky mini freezes.

The reason I bring it up here in mod troubleshooting, is that Streamline is one of those recommended to improve performance, yet it doesn't do it's job and instead causes needless problems.

I'm now leery about even going back to Streamline 3.0, as I'm now jaded at the whole mod.

I rarely see any of us recommend Oblivion Optimization, and that mod DOES do it's job quietly and well.

Last week, I put Streamline 3.1 into Oblivion. It would often do "streamsaves" which was apparently an attempt on it's part to fix something. It was supposed to help performance.

Did it? nope. Instead it seemed to be causing far too many 'streamsaves' that would have course annoy my gameplaying experience. I seemed to be having 'sticky' animations far too damned often.

This morning, I removed it. Haven't had one lick of trouble nor those pesky mini freezes.

The reason I bring it up here in mod troubleshooting, is that Streamline is one of those recommended to improve performance, yet it doesn't do it's job and instead causes needless problems.

I'm now leery about even going back to Streamline 3.0, as I'm now jaded at the whole mod.

I rarely see any of us recommend Oblivion Optimization, and that mod DOES do it's job quietly and well.

I agree with you 100% streamline is recommended quite often to help people with their performance issues, when there are other mods out there that work quite well also. I ran streamline 3.1 for about two weeks until I realized that it was causing my game to run awful, FPS was very jumpy and lagged allot and had constand CTDs. A soon as I removed Streamline my game ran totally fine with just the ocasional CDT every hour or two.

Weird... I was thinking exactly same thing, I posted about using 3.1 a couple of days ago.

Since iv tried it, it saves after every combat which is incredibly annoying, after killing a mudcrab it will stop and freeze for 10secs while it saves.

THen it saves every 10mins... so sometimes your just constantly saving moving thru a dungeon.

If i turn off streamsaves in the ini, it still does it. Doesnt matter what options i choose it does it anwyay.

To be honest i think streamline 3.1 is a piece of ****...... definitely going back to 3.0... at least it did what i asked.

Streamline 3.1 was put out as a beta - unfinished - mod back in March. There has not been any more work done on it. The author, Jaga Telesin seems to have lost interest in modding for Oblivion for now. Maybe he will come back eventually. Until he comes back and fixes the glitches, or someone else takes it over and works on it. Its probably not worth the small problems it introduces to get the increases in performance.

I found a thread on the Beth forum form someone who has had some improvements in performance by turning off the multi threading options.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.ph...872752&st=0

geez. I get confused with so many alike sounding mods...I meant Operation Optimization.

Thing is, I've just uninstalled it as well. A lot of these 'fixer uppers' were designed for low end machines, and mine is not low end by any means. When I go through a mod I JUST DOWNLOADED and installed 100% correctly and there's a few missing meshes, something isn't right.

I'd just downloaded the Haunted House quest mod, and there was a couple of walls missing at one point. geez.

That's the main reason I've stayed away from those kinds of mods myself. Sure, they could help but after reading what most of them do it sounds like that if you're not running vanilla you're going to run into some serious problems in terms of textures, meshes, whatever. Personally Oblivion runs fine for me even with about 80 mods running (including FCOM) and only get the occasional CTD when either loading, or just running around Tamriel. Nothing major to worry about, it's usually only a matter of a few seconds to get back in game and I save enough that at most I usually only loose about five minutes worth of play at the most.

I'm running 357 mods. 253 mods, 104 merged into the batched patch.

I've since hooked back up Operation Optimization, it IS helping out. The mesh mistakes aren't it's fault. I had to uninstall Streamline 3.0 as it started causing problems even more.

The thing is with both Streamlines is that if I sharply move the 'camera' up, it sticks and often crashes, if I sharply move it anywhere else it just sticks and streamsaves. Still, annoying as hell. Without it? No crashes or even coming close. Bye bye Streamline. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

Dang, over 300? And here I was happy to FINALLY hit the 100 mark last night (woot for Frostcrag reborn!) and none of them are merged into a patch. Makes me jealous. Mind PMing me your load order? heh, curious as to what mods you're using.

On topic: I'll giver Operation Optimization a look, but like I said from the sounds of those mods it seems like they fix some things, but at the same time create more problems. The only 'fixes' I use are the three unofficial patches for Oblivion, SI, and the DLCs (Still have yet to buy battlehorn, wonder if it's worth it.)