LTC - Lively Towns and Cities: Development blog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

demidekidasu

demidekidasu

Brahmin Herder

• Premium Member
  • 1,930 posts
So, I've decided I will start posting LTC development info here. For those who don't know, LTC - Lively Towns and Cities will be the successor to my LIAT - Lively Inns and Taverns mod. It will do everything that LIAT does, plus much more. And the things that LIAT does, LTC will do better.

The first stage in development is the audio environment.

I am using many new sounds in the towns and cities that you can hear at various times during the day. For example, at 9am, midday, 3pm and 6pm, you hear a bell ring from the local temple. At dawn, you hear the town's industry waking up, with hammering and other sounds. During the times that shops are open for business, you can hear the crowds chattering and whatnot. And at night, you can hear the beggars and other homeless folk coughing as they struggle to make it through the night!

In the inns and taverns, just as with LIAT, you hear the sounds of merry folk - only this time I have tried to make it a lot more convincing. I have applied much better equalisation techniques to the occlusion sounds than with LIAT, and balanced the levels. But then it gets more complex than that. Now, in the major city taverns, you will hear chatter throughout the day, and at 8pm, the place explodes with life. This makes everything sound and "feel" more realistic and natural that it did in LIAT.

Most of these sounds are scripted, but you need not fear save bloating. I have been very careful with how I have scripted this to avoid such problems. The scripts don't use registerforupdate(), which is usually what causes major save bloating problems. Instead, they use registerforsingleupdate() with a ten-second interval, and some other custom polling functions that don't poll infinitely. Also, if you decide to uninstall the mod, the scripts will have nothing to do so will come to a stop. I'm not saying that you DEFINITELY WON'T experience save bloating, but rather, you PROBABLY WON'T experience it, or rather that it will (hopefully) not be noticeable. Unless Papyrus hates me as much as the CK does!

So, all the sounds are actually done now. Tomorrow, I will start work on the new NPCs. This will include, of course, the tavern-goers like with LIAT (although these will all be new, not the ones you see in LIAT) and the folk who will walk around the cities during the day. I am planning to have different groups that are present at different times of the day, rather than just have them all suddenly appear at 8pm and disappear at 2am as it was with LIAT.

This time, I'm trying my best to make it as believable and convincing as possible :)

For anyone interested in such things, here is the Papyrus script I wrote for the bell. Pretty long script but it works beautifully! :D
Spoiler

Edited by demidekidasu, 14 November 2012 - 10:04 PM.

Grimoa

Grimoa

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
Sounds good! I like LIAT so I will definately try this. :)
How about using it together with Sounds of Skyrim? And if I can run them together, will my ears explode?

demidekidasu

demidekidasu

Brahmin Herder

• Premium Member
  • 1,930 posts
Hehe, I don't know how SoS works so cannot say. I suggest you try them both, then pick the one you prefer :)

Edited by demidekidasu, 16 November 2012 - 04:12 PM.

kingdark

kingdark

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
I'm going to try it out as soon as you publish the first form of the mod! I'll post whatever troubles I encounter. Which reminds me, would it cause trouble with mods of certain types?

Kingdark

demidekidasu

demidekidasu

Brahmin Herder

• Premium Member
  • 1,930 posts
Well, the first thing that pops to mind, obviously, is Open Cities.

There may be conflicts with other mods that add sounds, depending on if they use acoustic spaces. In my experience, Skyrim seems to only allow one acoustic space to work at a time, so if another mod adds acoustic spaces to the same places that this one does, then it will be problem. It won't crash or anything, you will just get only one of the acoustic spaces working :P

Other than that, I can't forsee any problems as it uses new assets and does not alter anything vanilla. Actually... I edited one of the tavern sound descriptors and might delete a couple of instances of it's respective sound marker, but they were not used in anything other than taverns anyway.

yzerman19

yzerman19

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
I am really looking forward to this mod. May the 8 Divines speed you on your way to completion...

demidekidasu

demidekidasu

Brahmin Herder

• Premium Member
  • 1,930 posts
Hehe, may the NINE! :P

I reckon it will be about a month from now. Could be sooner, could be later, but I'll say a month.

3ukalipto

3ukalipto

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
I read you were planning on adding church bell sound; if so... will you also be adding a church structure? And will this be compatible with Immersive Cities?

kingdark

kingdark

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
Well, couldn't you use open cities and modify it slightly so it is compatible to this mod?

demidekidasu

demidekidasu

Brahmin Herder

• Premium Member
  • 1,930 posts

I read you were planning on adding church bell sound; if so... will you also be adding a church structure? And will this be compatible with Immersive Cities?

No, the sound is emitted from the existing temples :)

I don't know about Immersive Cities. It depends on what it does and how it works - which I have not looked at as admittedly I've not heard of the mod before

Well, couldn't you use open cities and modify it slightly so it is compatible to this mod?

I could do that, but it would double the amount of work I need to do as Open Cities moves the cities into the "Tamriel" worldspace, rather than them existing in their own worldspace, meaning I would have to repeat all my work for Open Cities.

It's technically NOT actually an incompatibility issue as such, you see.

Edited by demidekidasu, 20 November 2012 - 10:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Page loaded in: 0.870 seconds