Alright long story.
So I have two drives on my computer that I just bought and one of them is full so I decided to move my giant Oblivion and Skyrim games off my disc with a few gigs to the one with a terrabyte to give the poor thing a break. Well I uninstalled Oblivion and popped the disk back in to re-install it. I have the Anthology edition by the way.
Well I get through the wizard fine - specifying the new location on my D drive and clicking install. A few seconds after the installer starts going through the motions I get a pop up:
"Please insert disc 0 that contains the file data3.cab" then provides a bar where I'm supposed to specify a disc.
I have NEVER in all my years had this issue. Even before the Anthology edition came out I had the GOTY edition. They always installed fine. Well just now I checked my Anthology disc and there isn't even a data3.cab file in the damned thing! I tried browsing inside the disc on my laptop for both the old GOTY version AND my Anthology edition. So long story short - no matter what edition and what computer - there is no sign of any existence of a data3.cab file.

Does anybody have any idea what's wrong? If so can you either just provide me with the file or something? I have no idea. Like I said I've never had this issue in all my years of uninstalling and re-installing the game.

Edited by Zodiark10

On my Game of the Year edition (three disk set that includes KotN and SI) Data3.cab is the only thing on disk # 2. How many Oblivion disks are included with the Anthology edition?

And I take it Data3.cab isn't on disk # 2 ... with the Anthology version do you have an option for Steam install or just Steam to activate?

Actually data3.cab is on my DLC disk for Anthology as well as my DLC disk for my old GOTY.
I didn't register the Anthology on Steam, I was having trouble with it - whenever I tried to activate the code it told the that another account already registered the game even though I only had ever used it to install Arena at that time and never touched steam with it. Somehow I installed all of the Anthology games without a key or steam registration - I just popped it in and installed :mellow:

Well it's not resolved I don't think. And it shouldn't be a Steam issue I just didn't know if that information was necessary.
Should I copy the data3.cab from the Si + KotN disk to my main disk?

Does the prompt for the disk containing Data3.cab come in the form of "put in the disk" or would it let you navigate to it in the dialogue?

If the former I doubt copying Data3.cab to a no-disk location would work (perhaps if you burned it onto a disk, but there may be hidden copywrite stuff will stop that from working). If it allows you to navigate to the location of Data3.cab I don't see why it wouldn't ... won't know until you try.

Well I figured out the issue with Steam. I let my dad borrow the Anthology when I first got it and when he was done uninstalled it. I didn't realize steam codes were an activate-only-once thing and it slipped my mind. I can still play without registering though.

Wow okay, so normally it gives me the prompt mid-way through installing the Meshes.bsa. It's gotten past that though and seems to be fine. I'll post again if it comes back up.

Well I did absolutely nothing but it suddenly decided to work lol. Thanks for the help, sorry for wasting your time :pinch:

Edited by Zodiark10