Diplomatic Immunity - entering the Embassy issue

LewisKossuth

First of all, I've found a topic that already discussed this issue, but decided to open a new one, because there wasn't a 'this works for sure' solution, but maybe times have changed ever since, who knows.

So here is the case:

• I started playing Skyrim not too long ago, this is like the 4th character I'm playing with, and with the other three, I've never ever got until this point in the main story line, because I was busy doing side quests and guilds and other stuff, and now, this is my first properly modded gameplay as well, so I don't really play with the other three anymore. This is the character I'm enjoying the most as well.
  • I took my roleplaying a bit more serious than previous times, so as a proud Nord ranger-agent I took the opportunity at around level 12 to get rid of a 3-member Thalmor group to get my hands on a Thalmor outfit (I have Master of Disguise installed, and I thought it would be nice to sneak into the embassy unnoticed if I have anything to do there - bad idea.)
  • I also took the easier way with the Alik'r mission in Whiterun, as I told them that I've found the woman they were looking for without even listening to the woman's side of story, to get some early gold. So I helped the Alik'rs, which causes Thalmor executional order as I've found out.
  • THE PROBLEM: Now, I just can't get to talk to the Thalmor guards at the Embassy's entrance, although I have the party clothes on (nothing else, no Talos amulet as well), because they freaking attack me every time I'm hopping off of the cart. I have no chance to show them the invitation or to do whatever, and, because Delphine takes away all your stuff, there's no opportunity to even defend yourself.

I've tried out a few different things, for example I've put on a mask that hides my identity, it's added by Sneak Tools mod - didn't work. I tried to talk to the guards after Delphine gives me the invitation, but before I hop on the cart, in my Thalmor outfit - didn't work (they didn't attack me but there was no option to give him the invitation). Then I tried to walk into the Embassy simply with the outfit on, thinking maybe it will activate the quest (like it did with the rescue the Grey-Mane guy) - didn't work.

So I'm stuck. I have no other ideas right now. For the first time I'd be really interested in the main story line, I'm at level 32 now, so I really don't want to restart this gameplay. Can I do anything? Is there a backdoor to go into that activates the quest? Or is waiting a few days without killing any Thalmors and running away when they're attacking would do the trick? Or is there a quest I'm not knowing of which would give me the trust of the Thalmor and would get our relationship back to neutral?

I mean, come on Bethesda guys, it's not a side quest you can't complete, it's the ffffff main story line and there is only one way to complete it and it can get glitchy? (I mean, it's realistic that they want to kill me after all the things I've done to them, but I'd consider it as a glitch if there's just only this way.) They should have really added an option and alternative way when talking to Delphine, she could simply ask 'Have you ever met the Thalmor which turned out not so good? Ok then you should sneak in from behind.' or something like that to prevent this situation, I mean, come on, I have a Thalmor executional order on my head and she says something like 'Hey I can't go but they don't know you yet'.

Thanks for anyone helping me in this dumb situation! -.-

Well, the most preferable way would be to load a save before all these shenanigans began. If you cannot, then you could try a few possibly game breaking solutions

Reseting the In My Time Of Need Quest is one method which would be- Open console and type: Setstage <MS08> <0>

However, this might leave you still in the faction that pisses off the thalmor.

If the thalmor are still pissed off then gotta try to just advance through the thalmor party quest. this link provides some instruction on the matter http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Use-the-Skyim-Console-to-Get-Past-Broken-Quests-on-the-PC-242822.shtml

I have been in similar situations before. I can remember when a quest from Wyrmstooth would not advance correctly. After many hours of trying to trick the game into advancing the quest I had to stop, un-install Wyrmstooth and start over. If certain conditions are not met sometimes there isnt anything you can do. However, if you can go into the creation kit and find the exact stage of the party quest that has the guards tell you you can enter and just advance that one stage, I think it might work out.

If things are still broken then maybe just open the console and manually kill every hostile NPC. Cuz at that point we dont care about gameplay we just want this broken s#*&#33; over with!

Also, do your best to TES5clean all the new mods including the DLC's (and the unofficial updates if you have them). An example of this coming into direct play in the game is TES5cleaning the Dawnguard DLC completely stops CTDS caused by entering and exiting the Dawnguard fort (which if you have ever gone there know you have like a 25% chance of crashing. So cleaning does have a real impact on how smooth your game runs.

Edited by DreezNation

Before doing anything drastic, check to see if you have any bounties you haven't paid. Then pay them. That should be the first thing you need to do and should allow you to proceed with Diplomatic Immunity.

If however you've done irreversible damage to your reputation with the Thalmor Embassy, then as advised you should go back to a save before you did anything to cause problems with the Thalmor to begin with.

Also to add to the suggestion to clean your mods, the unofficial patches do not need cleaning. If you have not ventured that far into modding, do a search on this forum for mod cleaning or do a search for "load order", "Loot", "Tes5Edit", and "Wrye Bash", to get information from the experts on how to do this properly.

Edited by JWMcQuire

Total shot in the dark but, to take up on the previous comment, if you don't have any bounties showing try going to solitude and get one (punch a guard or something) then pay it off. Again, just a shot in the dark. This has worked for me when some characters are inexplicably hostile (though not the Thalmor guards).

Thanks to all of you!

Well I have a 80 gp bounty in The Reach, as it is shown in my crime statistics, the strange thing is, I was never in Markarth or in that region yet. Closest I've been to is Dragon Bridge and Rorikstead. And if I recall correctly, I tried to help the Dragon Bridge guards once, when they were fighting in a random Thalmor attack. And I cast healing hands on the guard and guess what? He attacked me. But I can't remember correctly, I was either so surprised that he managed to kill me, or I was simply galloping away on my horsey. Whatever the case was, I'll try to do that first after cleaning my mods, go to Markarth and pay my bounty if I have any. Then if it's not working, I'm going to punch the Solitude guard right in the face as the last suggestion says. I hope that one will work, because it would manage the frustration + I'll join with the Stormcloaks this time so everything would clip together perfectly.

But firstly, I'll clean my mods, since I haven't done it so far because I couldn't figure out how to (tried it once but nothing happened, the 'edit wit TES5Edit' message still showed up). But I guess I'll have to try it again.

Also I read somewhere that you never ever should clean the official DLCs. Is that true, or it's only true for the unofficial patches? But, I hope this is also going to be in some nice guides.

Well, thanks again guys, now I have 3 more possible solutions, and one of them will give me more benefits than that (the cleaning), so I hope the best!

Hi

Go into the console click on the door to the Embassy. type unlock. Once you are in the quest will continue.

This bug was fixed by the unofficial patches years ago.

Later

I have the unofficial patches installed, all of them, so I don't really know. Also, when should I do this? After I started the quest and got off the cart or when randomly wandering around the Embassy?

Glad to see everything coming together. If it will help any, here is a link to a video by Gopher on YouTube that should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOQO2S6HDBw

Good luck.

Thank you for the video! It will help for sure! I found another one on the TES5Edit Nexus page, so just to make sure and to summerize it all up, I have to do 2 steps:

1st: I have to do the things like in this video for 100% no matter what mods I'm using afterwards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_577572&feature=iv&src_vid=Re8YBJm9l64&v=fw3g_N1jcZQ#t=8m56.6s

2nd: I have to do the cleaning like in the video you have posted, to all the mods that LOOT highlights me with yellow and says I have to clean them with TES5Edit, except where noted NOT to.

Will I be alright like this?

Edited by LewisKossuth

This bug was fixed by the unofficial patches years ago.

Maybe it's just my poor search skills, but I looked through the big USKP change log using "Thalmor" and didn't see anything about this bug.

You're welcome. That video really helped me as well.

1. Yes, anytime Loot flags a mod as "dirty", it is always a good idea to clean the mod unless the mod description specifically states that you shouldn't clean it.

2. Yes, as long as you follow the instructions in the video, you should do just fine.

So you should be fine like that. :thumbsup:

Also, you want to check the Unofficial patches sites regularly for updates so you don't miss out on new fixes they make.

As far as using the console to get into the Embassy, it is unlikely you'll need to do that when you get your bounties paid or reload a save that will allow you to proceed as normal through the quest line.

...and I agree with kevkiev. I too haven't found anything to indicate that this was a bug that needs or ever needed fixing. Perhaps someone here with more experience can verify this one way or the other.

Let us know how it works out for you. :smile:

Edited by JWMcQuire