Advice for computer parts

doctorzero0

I want to upgrade my desktop for Fallout 4 and Skyrim: Special edition, so I thought you guys might know some ideas on what parts to get. All I really need (I think) are a new graphics card and CPU.

I'm thinking of getting an Intel Core I7-4790k for the CPU and a Radeon RX 460 for the graphics card. Current budge is about 900 to 1000 dollars (will have to recheck). Also, my current motherboard is an Asus a68HM-e, if that helps.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Unless I miss my guess, your motherboard currently has an AMD processor?

An intel processor will not fit.

To install an intel processor will require a new motherboard too.

Your proposed upgrade will take a little longer than you originally thought, I'm afraid. Save for longer, and have another look in a couple of months time.

If you're not replacing your current motherboard, get a compatible AMD processor. Intel CPU is not compatible with your current motherboard. Sorry.

Your current motherboard can handle Radeon R series GPU. I think.

Check out PCPartPicker website and AMD website of your motherboard for more information.

Alright, I've found two items compatible with my motherboard--the Evga GTX 650 and the AMD athlon 860k. Before I decide to buy them, though, I'd like to know if there's anyone here who knows how well they work? Just to be sure--I'm just trying to be cautious.

...maybe TOO cautious...

If you must have an i7, then this is what I could put together. If you can reuse your case, then you could put that money toward a better GPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $868.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 13:27 EST-0500

Now, if you're not a content creator (like a video editor, photo editor, streamer, etc.) then you do not need an i7 for gaming at all. This is my suggested build if your primary purpose for this rig is gaming, and you do not care about CPU overclocking or running more than one GPU at a time all while maintaining a similar budget. I suppose it's not perfect, but it most certainly destroys the other rig in terms of gaming performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($191.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($379.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $845.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 13:36 EST-0500

If you want a more budget oriented system that can still play games really well, then you can just ask and I could try to put up another list for you.

Edited by DaddyDirection

Wow, I'm surprised you looked all this up, thanks!

I've been busy looking through other parts myself--I'll be honest, I'd really prefer to avoid doing any overclocking, and I'm not sure if I really want to replace my motherboard either. Trying to find really good graphics cards and CPUs compatible with the one I've got, though, is proving...tricky.

If you want to put up another list, go right ahead--I'll appreciate it. I'll keep looking myself, though.

It's best to probably upgrade to Skylake at this point, it's really the best upgrade path available right now. It's also supposed to be compatible with the next generation chips coming out too, so that is pretty neat too. Sadly AMD is a very dead end path currently, and that isn't going to change unless Zen ends up really being good. I'm hoping it is because I could really benefit from seeing some of Intel's chips dropping in price.

With that said, I could totally throw another build together, I kind of do it in my spare time any way. If you could name all of the parts you have in your build that would be pretty helpful. Your case could be reusable which could save a little bit of money. Also, if you're more interested in a budget build I could do that easily. I only ask because you weren't super certain on your budget in your first post, so I thought it would be good to double check.

Plus, at this point I can't really make the build too much different than what I have already shared unless the budget becomes cheaper or more expensive. I mean, I probably could but it would be kind of small changes at this point. If you're really interested though, I could also attempt to build upon your current rig so you don't have to change that much, but that probably wouldn't be the best choice. It would be the easiest and least expensive though. You will be limited on GPU's though due to the bottlenecks that would likely occur.

P.S. You're welcome. I'm always happy to try and help out.

After some effort, I looked over my PC to check out the parts.

I currently have a Solid Gear SDGR-750E for the power supply, a HyperX Fury for...can't remember what, but I know it has something to do with memory, and an AMD a4-7300 for the processor (hard to make out at first due to the sticky substance used to keep the fan on it). Topping it off is an R7240 for the graphics card. And before you ask, all the parts save for the graphics card were gifts, so we were working on a budget first and foremost. Given the price tag on most parts these days...

As for the case keeping it all together...I threw out the box for it months ago and there's no brand names on it. I'll get back to you on that. Sorry.