That's right. I found a small hex edit to xcomgame.exe that will cause the game to load from the config file DefaultGameCore.ini instead of using the embedded Resource Cache data.
In xcomgame.exe, at hex offset 0x157D93A, are the three unicode text strings:
It appears that these three string are checked to see which files to NOT load from the Config directory.
I changed the first string to :
And behold : the game loaded from the DefaultGameCore.ini file in the XComGame\Config\ directory.
Since I had all of my new build item calls, all sorts of items were now buildable (like Pistols, Assault Rifles, etc).
Changing the file in the config directory to define the new BalanceItem= entries affected the game by making those items non-buildable (as specified).
This should render modpatcher essentially unneeded any longer.