Photo

trying to use profiles, broke vortex, and nothing I do lets vortex do its job anymore, not even a fresh install

vortex broken install application issues profile support bug report

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

mmd123

mmd123

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 43 posts

so, first and foremost, my bad, never had to submit a request for help to date on here, so I may have done so in the wrong spot, so, sorry about that if I did so site staff!

anywho, now that I realized that I FOUND the forum now, heres a direct copy of my support request, on the chance thats NOT what I was supposed to do to try and ask for help.

so yea, I had tried using vortex, with profile support, only to somehow break vortex entirely.� when using profiles, for mutliple game states for skyrim SE, aka an adult modded version, and a non-adult modded version, I somehow broke vortex entirely.� even nuking by uninstalling with revo uninstaller, and cleaning up after it, manually AND with cleaners (bleachbit, glary utilities, ccleaner, and then manually going through both the filesystem AND registry� and confirming no traces remain before rebooting, and reinstalling vortex) it still throws the same problems... the problems being, that after I install it, and map it to skyrim SE, it fails to download and update the mod masterlist files, and I also took it a step further, and bypassed my network entirely, using wifi, so its not a case of the internet is blocking anything either, which is part of whats so damn frustrating about this issue.�� the inability for me to use vortex at all now thanks to this strange problem is just so dang frustrating given it leaves me unable to mod skyrim at all anymore and I'm at a total loss for whats not functioning as needed.
�
�
�
�

Spoiler

I should mention, this issue ONLY happened after I began having issues with FNIS and vortex NOT playing nice with each other, and I ended up having to forcefully remove all fnis data, given that the vortex profiles worked, but as soon as it involved any data with fnis, it broke everything, fnis showed that it had two profiles of data, but would not properly utilize them when swapping profiles, leading to everything T posing in skyrim.  at that point I tried to uninstall profiles, and remove that functionality, and proceeded to reinstall the mods for skyrim using only a single profile for the entire game, and it was about this point that everything just flat broke, and I have not been able to get it working since. multiple attempts, multiple cleanings of any install files and data, and its just flat broken now for reasons I cannot pinpoint or fix, that seemingly stem from vortex somehow now being unable to connect to anything it needs by way of github or wherever it tries to download skyrim masterlist files, which is frustrating, given I can manually browse those same urls just fine from any web browser, so when I saw it was dieing from not being able to see googles fonts url, then to literally load that same URL just fine in multiple browsers...this has been nothing but one problem after another since I disabled profile support, and I'm left confused as to why that broke everything.

HadToRegister

HadToRegister

Awake at stupid o'clock

• Premium Member
  • 18,212 posts

Go to SETTINGS make sure "Rune FNIS on Deployment event" is turned off, there's no need to run FNIS on every deployment.

Before you uninstalled Vortex with Revo, did you make sure to PURGE your Mods and UNINSTALL them first?

Otherwise, Vortex still believes they're installed, and they probably still exist in the Mod Staging Folder, and possibly in your Game Data folder as well.

Also, put that log inside SPOILER TAGS please

Spoiler-Tags.jpg

mmd123

mmd123

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 43 posts

Go to SETTINGS make sure "Rune FNIS on Deployment event" is turned off, there's no need to run FNIS on every deployment.

Before you uninstalled Vortex with Revo, did you make sure to PURGE your Mods and UNINSTALL them first?

Otherwise, Vortex still believes they're installed, and they probably still exist in the Mod Staging Folder, and possibly in your Game Data folder as well.

Also, put that log inside SPOILER TAGS please

Spoiler-Tags.jpg

thanks for the spoiler tag info, not posted much here, not many boards support spoiler tags by default so its good to know it exists.

as for fnis, it is set to NOT deploy automatically, I do not think that I disabled/uninstalled all the mods when I nuked it the first time, not positive I did not, but also not sure enough I did so either, so strong chances are that I did not do so, staging folder has also been nuked and reset to base installation, though, I'm gonna double check that one after I post this reply JUUUUST to be sure, game data folder was also nuked, I set even the skyrim install to a base installation backup I made in steam before I installed any mods what so ever, so its a vanilla game backup.  so I'm at a total loss why this is happening still =-=;

as for some added info, when it tries to load the masterlist.yaml file, this is what it spits out

vortex tried to access "C:\Users\volt\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\skyrimse\masterlist\masterlist.yaml" but it doesn't exist. code ENOENT path: C:\Users\volt\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\skyrimse\masterlist\masterlist.yaml

Spoiler

git operation failed. details: -1; failed to send request: the operation timed out : libgit2 error  cause.func: updateMasterlist func: updatemasterlist

Spoiler

HadToRegister

HadToRegister

Awake at stupid o'clock

• Premium Member
  • 18,212 posts

When you say "Nuked" what exactly do you mean?

Did you just manually delete the folder or the contents?

It also sounds like you deleted the C:\users\YOUR NAME\appdata\roaming\vortex\  because vortex can't find "masertlist.yaml"

mmd123

mmd123

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 43 posts

oh the app data folder gets created and exists, but somehow cant download the masterlist.yaml, beginning to think somehow its a premissions problem, not sure how though...but the folder exists, it just refuses to make the dang masterlists file, I even went so far as to try and download it directly from github and just place it there, which it then sees it, but cant modify it still somehow... given windows is a pain in the ass sometimes, I'm thinking this is a file premissions problem somehow....

when I say nuke, I mean, in my attempts to fix this issue with vortex, I have clean uninstalled it, scanned my pc for leftover data, removed it (registry, and file system data, files, folders, all of it) in order to try and cleanly reinstall it thinking its a problem of leftover files causing issues with a new installation.  rebooted between reinstallation attempts, and general attempted fixing.

HadToRegister

HadToRegister

Awake at stupid o'clock

• Premium Member
  • 18,212 posts

oh the app data folder gets created and exists, but somehow cant download the masterlist.yaml, beginning to think somehow its a premissions problem, not sure how though...but the folder exists, it just refuses to make the dang masterlists file, I even went so far as to try and download it directly from github and just place it there, which it then sees it, but cant modify it still somehow... given windows is a pain in the ass sometimes, I'm thinking this is a file premissions problem somehow....

when I say nuke, I mean, in my attempts to fix this issue with vortex, I have clean uninstalled it, scanned my pc for leftover data, removed it (registry, and file system data, files, folders, all of it) in order to try and cleanly reinstall it thinking its a problem of leftover files causing issues with a new installation.  rebooted between reinstallation attempts, and general attempted fixing.

When you uninstalled Vortex, did you PURGE and Uninstall your Mods first?

Otherwise you've left them orphaned with orphaned Hardlinks.

What AntiVirus are you using?
If it's Windows Defender then turn OFF "Controlled Folder Access"

mmd123

mmd123

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 43 posts

yea, I'm positive at this point I did NOT purge the mods before uninstalling them, I did that this latest try when trying to fix the issues I'm now being hit with, and it did not help, as for AV software, using windows defender and do NOT have controlled folder access turned on, I can confirm that is indeed not on/enabled.

it is possibly worth noting, I believe, that prior to this mess I created, I had turned on "allow symlinks without elevation" not sure if that changes anything for this issue, but i'll mention it just in case.

I just do not understand why in the heck I am so physically unable to update the dang masterlist files for both loot and vortex =-=

HadToRegister

HadToRegister

Awake at stupid o'clock

• Premium Member
  • 18,212 posts

yea, I'm positive at this point I did NOT purge the mods before uninstalling them, I did that this latest try when trying to fix the issues I'm now being hit with, and it did not help, as for AV software, using windows defender and do NOT have controlled folder access turned on, I can confirm that is indeed not on/enabled.

it is possibly worth noting, I believe, that prior to this mess I created, I had turned on "allow symlinks without elevation" not sure if that changes anything for this issue, but i'll mention it just in case.

I just do not understand why in the heck I am so physically unable to update the dang masterlist files for both loot and vortex =-=

What deployment method were you actually using? HARDLINKS or SYMLINKS?

Was your Mod Staging Folder on the same drive as your game?
If so, there would be no reason to even turn on Elevate Symlinks, because you should be using Hardlinks

mmd123

mmd123

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 43 posts

What deployment method were you actually using? HARDLINKS or SYMLINKS?

Was your Mod Staging Folder on the same drive as your game?
If so, there would be no reason to even turn on Elevate Symlinks, because you should be using Hardlinks

hard links, so thats good to know that was kinda pointless, and the mod staging folder is indeed on the same drive as skyrim, in the app data folder, where as I have a steam library set as C:/Steam Library/    and skyrim is installed here to avoid program files premission issues.  so staging folder and skyrim are on the same drive.

for what its worth, it seems that I just flat out am having problems with git somehow, I followed another  guide online to try cloning the loot repo directly into the location its looking for, and for what ever reason, I could not clone the repo either... not sure if that is related or not, but I'll mention it just in case as well.

HadToRegister

HadToRegister

Awake at stupid o'clock

• Premium Member
  • 18,212 posts

hard links, so thats good to know that was kinda pointless, and the mod staging folder is indeed on the same drive as skyrim, in the app data folder, where as I have a steam library set as C:/Steam Library/    and skyrim is installed here to avoid program files premission issues.  so staging folder and skyrim are on the same drive.

for what its worth, it seems that I just flat out am having problems with git somehow, I followed another  guide online to try cloning the loot repo directly into the location its looking for, and for what ever reason, I could not clone the repo either... not sure if that is related or not, but I'll mention it just in case as well.

Some people occasionally have a problem connecting to get the masterlist.
How about your Firewall?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vortex, broken install, application issues, profile support, bug report

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.166 seconds