trying to use profiles, broke vortex, and nothing I do lets vortex do its job anymore, not even a fresh install

mmd123

normally I would say yes, except if it was, I myself also would not be able to, and I can. so, I even tried to test that further, by totally disabling the network level blocks, entirely, and still had the same issues as well, and also by way of my fathers firewall, so I do not think it is....could be wrong, would not be a first if I was.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

normally I would say yes, except if it was, I myself also would not be able to, and I can. so, I even tried to test that further, by totally disabling the network level blocks, entirely, and still had the same issues as well, and also by way of my fathers firewall, so I do not think it is....could be wrong, would not be a first if I was.

Ok, when you enabled profiles, is when everything went wrong.

Check SETTINGS---->VORTEX------>Multi-User Mode is it set to SHARED or Per-User

Are you running on the Administrator Account on your Computer?

If not, then that's probably why you're having a problem accessing the masterlist.yaml

Somebody else just had a similar problem

yes, when I enabled profiles and tried to have mods dedicated to each specific profile, is when things seemingly went south, given that I noticed FNIS was NOT playing nice with specific FNIS data PER profile, I tried to disable the profiles, and it did not want to go back to normal operations after trying to do so, no idea why, but I know my problem is somehow related to profiles, but beyond that, how the heck is this strangeness STILL related, heck if I know.

as for settings ---> vortex ---> mutli-user mode, is set to per-user, I also tried shared to see if that changed anything and it did not. I have always had it, prior to that one time test, set to per-user, even though I am the only user on any of these pcs I own, and I am NOT running the built in admin account, I am an admin/the admin, but NOT the windows 10 super admin... in other words I'm a normal administrator account with UAC still turned on for elevation.

sorry about the extended delay this time between replies, got pulled away to help my mother with food sorting.

bump? really would like to be able to fix this so I can play skyrim with mods again...kinda cant do that without help figuring this out though, as I'm at a complete loss.

bump? really would like to be able to fix this so I can play skyrim with mods again...kinda cant do that without help figuring this out though, as I'm at a complete loss.

You'll have to wait until Monday when Tannin442 is around, I'm at a complete loss, and have run through every possible troubleshooting option I know of.

I suspect it has something to do with permissions and windows accounts and something isn't allowing you to access github anymore, considering you had to unblock the file in your browser.

So there's something happening in the background now.

You'll have to wait until Monday when Tannin442 is around, I'm at a complete loss, and have run through every possible troubleshooting option I know of.

I suspect it has something to do with permissions and windows accounts and something isn't allowing you to access github anymore, considering you had to unblock the file in your browser.

So there's something happening in the background now.

*punches desk and screams* ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW.....AGGGHHH XD f*** you loot...okay, so out of sheer spite for this issue on my end, I did some more googling, and I just somehow found a bullcrap hack fix that got LOOT to finally freakin update its crap/masterlist file....NO IDEA WHY THIS WORKS AND THE OTHER DOES NOT, but apparently SPECIFYING THE .git url for skyrim SE for loot, INSTEAD OF USING HTTPS, CHANGING HTTPS: to GIT: got it to freakin update its crap....I have no internet proxy (anymore, I had been using squid, but I completely tore it down, including all the network configs for it, which would have been completely bypassed when using my fathers wifi, so I'm at a sheer loss right now) but the page I was reading from suggested that a possible https proxy could be mangling the attempt to connect to git repos, so I figured out of sheer "why the hell not, I've tried everything else" mindset, I tried that....and I'll be danged, THAT WORKED...but only for loot, vortex still fails to download the masterlist files, presumably given whatevers going on, is affecting https urls for that file, so is there some way to force vortex to change the url its trying to use, from https, to git:// instead?? cause somehow, this issue SPECIFICALLY is affecting the github url for this file, but nothing else, either served over https, or git: cause I can still browse github just fine, use github desktop just fine, and browse https sites just fine....

I HAVE AN UNNATURAL TALENT FOR FINDING STRANGE BULLCRAP PROBLEMS, ITS A CURSE I TELL YA.

I swear, murphy's law loves to mess with me, I have no idea why, but murhpy loves to mess with me...fun times lmao...also, I need to watch my mouth apparently, I see the site censored me...I did not even realize I'd chosen that poor phrasing till I saw that... need to do better at not doing that.

You're not using Standalone LOOT are you?

If so, DON'T Vortex has LOOT built in

So downloading the masterlist.yaml for Vortex with your Browser didn't work?

uhm...yes, yes I was using loot standalone, and adding it as a tool within vortex from the dashboard panel....is that...not how your supposed to do that??

You're not using Standalone LOOT are you?

If so, DON'T Vortex has LOOT built in

So downloading the masterlist.yaml for Vortex with your Browser didn't work?

uhm...yes, yes I was using loot standalone, and adding it as a tool within vortex from the dashboard panel....is that...not how your supposed to do that??

No, don't use Standalone LOOT, it's built into Vortex already.

in that case, then, where do I go to download the masterlist.yaml file SPECIFIC to vortex?? I tried finding it in the github for vortex, and had been downloading the masterlist.yaml from the loot github repo, and when I copy THAT one, into where vortex is trying to find it, it throws a different error saying "failed to update masterlist" so either its not liking the file from loot, or it cannot access the file from loot, when using the loot masterlist.yaml