Windhelm Opening Scene

omera251

Hello,

Just recently I noticed that everytime one of my characters enter Windhelm for the first time, the three NPCs that are part of the opening scene are stuck. I can still talk to them and they still respond to my presence, but they never talk to each other or move. I have tried waiting a few hours, exiting the city and entering again, even fast travelling away and then coming back. It only seems to affect my characters that have never been to Windhelm as my first character hade already been there and the Npcs were going about their normal buissness. So far the other cities don't seem to be affected as I got to Dawnstar, Morthal, and Winterhold without any trouble. Just recently I downloaded the unnofficial patches for Skyrim, Dawnguard, and Dragonborn and I am wondering if that may have something to do with it. This has never happened to me before in previous saves, just recently I changed computers and reinstalled everything. I also started completely new games. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Edited by omera251

• 5 months later...

I know its necro or whatever you wanna call it, but I too just got this issue aswell.

There was also other issues, like the white phial(the store would remain locked at all times, even if I had a quest to enter there)

I could lockpick and enter, the npc's would do they're banter about the old mans health, then nothing.

"you must leave" got repeated, I tried to talk to them, but nothing happend when interacting.

I think the 1st scene though is the "trigger" for the rest of windhelm or most of it.

- able to do complete "blood on ice" with optimal result

- able to join stormcloaks

- able to do argonian quests outside.

I have had multiple playthroughs over the last year(s) without much hassle. now this.

(not to mention they're ripe for vicious vampire attacks being stuck there)

I have a "suspicion" on what mod however broke this event

"repair after civil war" I think if you have this active prior to the civil war being finished it will break certain things.(pure speculation and this is the one thing I'm going to test now)

hitting them wont fix it, just adds bounty for me.

doing things in mod "startscene" didnt fix it.

kill/ressurect/enable/disable/resetai etc nothing. they will just stand there looking stupid.

Kind of weird since I did manage to fight the nord for money 1st time. and reply to the dunmer that I wasnt a biggot.

I can still give money to the beggar, but thats the only one I get a dialouge option from the trio.

anyway going to plow through too whiterun and take the ride up there without the mod I mentioned and see what happends then give feedback here.

Cheers

--

After testing again, the mod I thought didnt do it.

I even disabled all mods and kept only the vanilla, and alas same thing happends.

Thing is I can interact with the npc's the first time as I arrive inside, but they're triggered scene of battering the dunmer isnt showing this time. I could have swore it did last time.

I could do the brawl, I could give the beggar money -> then nothing.

I could repeat giveing the beggar money, but thats it.

I suppose I shall dig further into it, and see if I cant figure away to force the scene to start or something (although the command I read somewhere else didnt work, they just stood there still)

Edited by Faitreaf

Did a new clean start, ran to whiterun took carrage to windhelm, entered city.

Script worked flawless.

I did remove a few mods that according to tes5edit gave error msg, since I didnt "need" the mods I just deleted them.

So yah its related to dirty mods.

From what I read in the list of errors it seems to be a "issue with the bully-scene" not triggering it was flagged with red marker, and from the little insight I have into the modding tools it appears this broken, would break the later issues I had with some npc's not offering normal dialouge or some stores not being open either.

for me none of the suggested fixes on the great internet helped, so technically the new gameplay I had with about 30+hrs prior to entering Windhelm is "kind of a wash" :/ boo. (I can use the old lvl 81 toon I have for play, but sometimes you just want to lvl differently or have "another story")

From what I see is that my suspicion is that "somehow the "fix civil-war damage" breaks the games scripts if its loaded too soon(not directly fault of modder), it just trigger up events as it should, but it do them too soon and well that breaks the savegame.

Without that mod and running boom no worries.

(I'll give feedback to the modder directly)