Mod Manager 255 plugin limit. Is there a fix?

juggybrodelteen

I have the latest SKSE installed, and I also installed Nitpick, but Mod Manager still tells me it can't install any more mods. I can post a screenshot, but I'm guessing you guys know what this is. I looked up everything I could, but I couldn't find any solutions. Is there something I'm overlooking?

Skyrim has a 255 mod limit. There's no getting around it. If you want to install new mods, you have to remove or find some way to merge old ones.

Bashed patches and merged SUM patches (if you have SkyProccer mods) can allow you to easily and automatically merge some mods reducing esp load count but beyond that sort of trickery the load limit is hard and fast. TES5Edit is another way (manual) but that is all I know about that... :P

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

This is what is known as a Hard limit - that means there is no software 'fix' that can be implemented. If you are interested, I can give you the long explanation - it involves binary arithmetic, computer word size and how registers actually store data in hex and binary form. Geek stuff.

Very oversimplified - 255 in binary is 1111 1111 add one to that and you get 0000 0000 or zero because there is no more room in that register for another 1 ( it carries the 1 to the next space - which does not exist) basic binary arithmetic 0+0=0, 1+0=1, 1+1=0, (carry the 1 making it 10 (10 is binary for what you would call two) - but ONLY if there is a place (register) to put that 1. Otherwise =0 :yes:

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't :thumbsup:

Stick with keeping your mods under the limit. Use one of the merging methods to merge where possible ( not all mods can be merged) Sometimes, based on other considerations, it won't even be able to work with 255 or even 200. :sad:

Hopefully (low probability) the next Beth game will be 64 bit and allow a bigger word size and more mods. The next step up from 255 is hex FF,FF or binary 1111111111111111 or in decimal 65,535 - do you think that will be enough mods for your game? :woot:

• 1 month later...

Skyrim has a 255 mod limit. There's no getting around it. If you want to install new mods, you have to remove or find some way to merge old ones.

not entirly true. this only happens with NMM i had like 254 mod insalled then i went to work shop and got 20 ore and they still work but i cant install mods from maniger

not entirly true. this only happens with NMM i had like 254 mod insalled then i went to work shop and got 20 ore and they still work but i cant install mods from maniger

false...the above tech explanation (from bben) is 100% correct. The only way around a HARD limit is to merge mods..Workshop can not do this. Wrye bash and or TESVedit or a merge program are the only ways. Its a math thing, no way around it.

• 7 months later...