Mod Manager 255 plugin limit. Is there a fix?

juggybrodelteen

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is what is known as a Hard limit - that means there is no software 'fix' that can be implemented. If you are interested, I can give you the long explanation - it involves binary arithmetic, computer word size and how registers actually store data in hex and binary form. Geek stuff.

Very oversimplified - 255 in binary is 1111 1111 add one to that and you get 0000 0000 or zero because there is no more room in that register for another 1 ( it carries the 1 to the next space - which does not exist) basic binary arithmetic 0+0=0, 1+0=1, 1+1=0, (carry the 1 making it 10 (10 is binary for what you would call two) - but ONLY if there is a place (register) to put that 1. Otherwise =0 :yes:

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't :thumbsup:

Stick with keeping your mods under the limit. Use one of the merging methods to merge where possible ( not all mods can be merged) Sometimes, based on other considerations, it won't even be able to work with 255 or even 200. :sad:

Hopefully (low probability) the next Beth game will be 64 bit and allow a bigger word size and more mods. The next step up from 255 is hex FF,FF or binary 1111111111111111 or in decimal 65,535 - do you think that will be enough mods for your game? :woot:

I'm really... Really, really sorry to Necro a thread - I honestly hate doing that, but...

Skyrim:SE is 64 bit... Does that mean that the mod limit is 65,535?

If so... man. Thanks for predicting the future.

EDIT: I see someone already neco'd it. Hah. >_> Sorry.

Edited by Foamybeard

• 2 weeks later...

It's still 255 .esp/.esm file limit. Just because Skyrim SE is 64-bit doesn't mean that it will support hex FFFF word size, because the engine has to have the registers for it as well. Since the Creation Engine is still an overly-developed Gamebryo Engine, it never got updated with a new hex register. It's not broken, and it'll likely not be updated (see Fallout 4's similar condition).

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...